Max time for languishing TBs?

ByronForestPreserve

There are a couple of TBs in caches where I work (a forest preserve if that's not obvious) and I hike past these caches fairly often. One TB has been in its cache for over a month, and the other even longer (and doesn't show up in the cache inventory, for some reason--I know, though, because it was also there when I found the cache a long time ago). I feel bad for these TBs, but they have missions I'm not really up for (getting specific pictures taken). Should I leave them be? Go back and grab them and move them on without meeting their goals? I know for the one that is potentially lost, it might be nice for it to get a log again so the owner knows where it is (I didn't know I could "discover" it at the time). If I leave them for now, what if they're still there in another month? Or a few months? The caches have been visited fairly recently, but I guess no one wants the TBs?

There are a couple of TBs in caches where I work (a forest preserve if that's not obvious) and I hike past these caches fairly often. One TB has been in its cache for over a month, and the other even longer (and doesn't show up in the cache inventory, for some reason--I know, though, because it was also there when I found the cache a long time ago). I feel bad for these TBs, but they have missions I'm not really up for (getting specific pictures taken). Should I leave them be? Go back and grab them and move them on without meeting their goals? I know for the one that is potentially lost, it might be nice for it to get a log again so the owner knows where it is (I didn't know I could "discover" it at the time). If I leave them for now, what if they're still there in another month? Or a few months? The caches have been visited fairly recently, but I guess no one wants the TBs?

If they were my TBs, I would very much appreciate somebody picking them up and moving them to another cache with a bit more activity. That's just me, though, so you might want to contact the TB owners and see what they would like. Nice of you to ask, though. I like our TBs to move, and sometimes that means into a cache that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with its goal; rather, another cacher might pick it up who could help it on its way.

It's really your choice. I think most TB owners would be pleased that you moved their TB along to a higher traffic cache, even if you can't help with the goal (I know I'd be pleased). But some TB owners like the low traffic caches because TBs are less apt to disappear from those caches, and they don't mind if their TB sits there for months (I suspect this is a less common attitude among TB owners, but I've heard it expressed). So it's ok to leave them there, too. If it was me, I'd probably take them next time I was there, but it's totally up to you.

It's really nice that you're concerned!

Don't worry about the "getting specific pictures taken" bit of the mission - When a TB owner sends out a TB with a mission like that they don't expect every cacher to take a picture... These days you're lucky if you get one picture for every 10 logs!

If they were my TBs I'd be very happy for you to move them on into another cache if they'd been sitting there for a month or more... unless I'd given them the mission "To have a quiet life in the peace and seclusion of a forest". ;)

MrsB

As a Geocacher myself with TB's and Geocoins that have stalled in places I would want it to be moved even if it were off its course. Someone will come along that can get it back on track. In my opinion movement is better that being archived because it has not been moved from an inactive cache or someones' geocache bag.

I know for the one that is potentially lost, it might be nice for it to get a log again so the owner knows where it is (I didn't know I could "discover" it at the time).

A Discover log would be great! You could take a picture of a TB, especially if there aren't any photos on its page. It's a huge help just to know if a TB is in its listed container. There's no maximum time in a cache, and there may be a cacher who comes along just to get it moving again.

Edited by kunarion

Go get 'em!

They are travel bugs. They are not languishing bugs. Help them all you want, and log your visit as a note if you have already found the cache. The TB owner will appreciate it. They might not contact you to thank you, but know they will be happy!

Especially for the one that is in the cache but not logged there, the owner will be so happy to hear from it again.

After you physically get the bug from the cache, log with the 'Grabbed from ...' option. This will make sure it is in your inventory.

Then go to the cache page of the cache that you found it in, and log a note like 'dipping TB to correct mileage', and pick Visit from the bottom of the page by the TB. This will indicate that the bug has been hanging around in that cache for a while.

It will stay in your inventory, so next time you leave it in a cache, you will be able to do 'Dropped off' on it.

Thanks for helping the trackables!