TFTC or TFTH?

Generally I'll right it out as "Thanks for the cache", or just "Thanks, I enjoyed this very much", along with a longer log, at least if I have anything to say. I'm verbose, so usually I have more to say... I speak in more or less non-stop abbreviations all day long - so it's nice to say what I mean in full... If I don't have very much to say, I'd rather type "Thanks!" because it's only 3 more characters than "TFTC" and I think it is more personal. (If only just barely.)

TFTT ;)

Edited by Mr.Benchmark

Wait! We're supposed to CAPITALIZE them? If I use "tftc," is that really bad form? The acronym equivalent of bad spelling? (Or would it be grammar?)

Is it ok to get tricky with them? tFtC? Tks4deCash?

I've seen people post tft$, or TFT$. :P

Edited by Ambrosia

Wait! We're supposed to CAPITALIZE them? If I use "tftc," is that really bad form? The acronym equivalent of bad spelling? (Or would it be grammar?)

Well, this thread isn't exactly going where I thought. So far it's mostly people who say they don't use either acronym. Talk about the vocal minority! :laughing:

Well, I see boatloads of smartphone logs were Tftc or Tfth are the entire log, with just the first letter capitalized. That's because most phones do that. Mine does. :lol:

I've seen people post tft$, or TFT$. :P

:lol:

I used TFTC (all caps, no less) until I read on the forums that some people consider it a slap in the face.

I had just learned ROFL only a year or so earlier (and I was ROFLing my way around IMs, despite my daughter telling me I was too old to be using lingo like that), and I was quite happy to add another acronym to my limited repertoire. (sigh...another acronym bites the dust)

Would the Pig Latin equivalent be AOEA?

I've never used 'TFTC' or TFTH'.

If I had used either, it would have been as an insult to the cache owner for placing a low-quality cache.

I only get insulted by this if it's the only thing they put in the log. I usually see this from newbies, and I admit I did it when I first started. I have since started to put more info in the logs because as a CO, I like reading about the adventure.

If I had used either, it would have been as an insult to the cache owner for placing a low-quality cache.

I only get insulted by this if it's the only thing they put in the log. I usually see this from newbies, and I admit I did it when I first started. I have since started to put more info in the logs because as a CO, I like reading about the adventure.

It's almost all newbies, and it came out of nowhere like a 2x4 to the back of the head in 2010. :laughing: No offense, but I don't know why you at the time, or the current "noobs" do that. I mean they must see the paragraph or longer logs that most vets leave on most caches. Generally in my experience, 90%+ of acronym only logs come from players who have never themselves hidden a cache.

It's almost all newbies, and it came out of nowhere like a 2x4 to the back of the head in 2010. :laughing: No offense, but I don't know why you at the time, or the current "noobs" do that. I mean they must see the paragraph or longer logs that most vets leave on most caches. Generally in my experience, 90%+ of acronym only logs come from players who have never themselves hidden a cache.

Everyone plays the game their own way. Most of them don't know any better. I didn't read all the logs when I first started, I just found the caches. I used to leave only a sentence or two. Now, I try to leave more than that...even a little back story, like "just picking up a few caches after work to keep my streak alive" is better than just "TFTC".

More irritating than that is the one person who regularly find my caches but leaves comments like "It's not where I would've hidden it" or "terrain needs to be increased because I'm short". Snide comments like that make me wanna hurl something.

It depends. For the cache log sheet I will use TFTH if there was no swag involved. If there was swag involved I use TFTC. I will also date and initial it.

Now for the online logs I do the same, but also I am more verbose. I think my average online log runs around 100 words or so. I like telling a bit about the experience. :)

Acronyms work OKay for nanos or really small micros where the log space is limited.

TFTC works for run of the mill hides, but I use TFTH where the concealment was a major part of the cache.

I'm also known for verbosity, so I always try to write something appropriate in a log book where it exists, and most of the time on the online logs, including a pic if possible or warranted.

Occasionally I invent the odd new one when a cache 'deserves' a subtle put down or more likely some cussin' since it was a mind breaker to find. I like those ones.

Doug 7rxc

Most of my logs are five sentences or longer but I still end them with TFTC and a :D

Occasionally I will say: TFTAwesomeC or TFTCoolC

If I DNF, I write: Thanks for the adventure!

And when the cache isn't up to my low standards ;) I have ended with TFTS (thanks for the smiley)

On those kind of caches, I wish I could earn a <_< Somehow I just don't feel right about earning a happy face when I know I wasn't happy.

It was good for me to read this. Yes, I am a newbie. Yes, I am guilty of having done just acronyms on a log. No, I haven't done it on every log, but seeing it through a different perspective- i.e. the CO's eyes, it is probably a big letdown to see only acronyms. But please remember, us 'newbies' may have only learned from someone else or read online the way in which we post. Please don't get down on us - we are learning and I am sure many of us would appreciate gentle constructive criticism.. :)

(I would've done a multiquote, but I don't know how to do that either...yet)! I promise I will make sure to do better from now on!!

But to answer the OP, I use TFTC. :)

Since I first began caching, I've always ended my logs with "TFTH!". I was probably just mimicking a few cachers I knew when I started out who did the same thing. I've never left only the acronym, I've always found something to say about my experience, if only a brief sentence or two.

I own a few caches, and three of them have been active for five years now. Last week, somebody left a completely blank "Found it" log for one of them. That was the first time in more than 600 finds on my caches that that's happened. Now that's aggravating, and disappointing.

--Larry

Sometimes I mix it up as well as

TYFTEC Earthcache

TYFTP Puzzle

TYFTM Multi

TYFTW Wherigo

Well when I said this just to make it clear. I meant to say I use it at the end of the log. I rarely say it alone unless I have nothing else to say about the cache. Most of the time I try to find something positive.

Everyone plays the game their own way. Most of them don't know any better. I didn't read all the logs when I first started, I just found the caches. I used to leave only a sentence or two. Now, I try to leave more than that...even a little back story, like "just picking up a few caches after work to keep my streak alive" is better than just "TFTC".

More irritating than that is the one person who regularly find my caches but leaves comments like "It's not where I would've hidden it" or "terrain needs to be increased because I'm short". Snide comments like that make me wanna hurl something.

I don't get too many snide comments, to be honest. I don't know, maybe because almost everyone knows me, and knows I'm a prick? :anicute:

Well, we're having a good conversation here about just dropping TFTC, and you don't appear to be ticked off at me. Let me ask you, were these smartphone logs when you started doing this, or did you actually log onto a computer and drop TFTC on the caches?

Some people will probably think I'm nuts, but I don't care. I specifically remember making my first ever comment about TFTC logs on a cache I found on the way to a 10 years anniversary event in May 2010 about 50 miles from home. I went to log the cache, and the last 3 logs before me were "TFTC", and all from 3 different noobs on 3 different dates. My log was something along the lines of "first person to log more than an acronym in 3 months, what the heck is up with that"? So if anyone thinks I'm crazy these sort of logs just showed up out of nowhere in 2010, think again. :lol:

See I'll admit that I use TFTC, but I always end up writing at least a couple sentences, because like others said, I think it's a slap in the face to just do TFTC or TFTH. I think reading the logging "adventures" like someone else said because it makes the CO feel more grateful about the caches they put out.

-Waffle

I don't get too many snide comments, to be honest. I don't know, maybe because almost everyone knows me, and knows I'm a prick? :anicute:

Well, we're having a good conversation here about just dropping TFTC, and you don't appear to be ticked off at me. Let me ask you, were these smartphone logs when you started doing this, or did you actually log onto a computer and drop TFTC on the caches?

Some people will probably think I'm nuts, but I don't care. I specifically remember making my first ever comment about TFTC logs on a cache I found on the way to a 10 years anniversary event in May 2010 about 50 miles from home. I went to log the cache, and the last 3 logs before me were "TFTC", and all from 3 different noobs on 3 different dates. My log was something along the lines of "first person to log more than an acronym in 3 months, what the heck is up with that"? So if anyone thinks I'm crazy these sort of logs just showed up out of nowhere in 2010, think again. :lol:

Yes, I used my iPhone when I first started and I would log them in the field. Part of me wanted to leave a longer log, but the other part wanted to get away from the mosquitoes and back in the car. I picked up a shiny new GPS a few months ago, so I do all my logging at home now, after I'm done caching for the day. That helps me be more verbose in my logging.

Yes, I used my iPhone when I first started and I would log them in the field. Part of me wanted to leave a longer log, but the other part wanted to get away from the mosquitoes and back in the car. I picked up a shiny new GPS a few months ago, so I do all my logging at home now, after I'm done caching for the day. That helps me be more verbose in my logging.

Cool, thanks for answering. I know, I'm old fashioned, and obnoxious and all that stuff, and I have an Iphone with TFTC and a circle with a slash through it as my profile pic. :laughing: What can I say, it wasn't always like that. Almost all people who stick with Geocaching, and go on to hide caches of their own move away from acronym logs.

I usually throw TFTC at the end. But now I do TFC#(whatever find it is)

I generally will write something else unless it is yet another newspaper box magnetic key...

I don't mind if people only write TFTC, as it's just a game & is supposed to be done for fun.

Yeah, yeah. Except they didn't do it for the first 9-10 years of Geocaching's existence. Cut me some slack, I was in the military for 22 years. I have a hard time adapting to lameness and half-assedness. :laughing:

Many have brought up in these threads what else are you going to write for another keyholder in a metal streetcorner newspaper box? Believe me, I know, there are no less than 60 of them in my area, 40 by the same person. But as you can probably imagine, this grumpy old guy ignores them. B)

I generally will write something else unless it is yet another newspaper box magnetic key...

I don't mind if people only write TFTC, as it's just a game & is supposed to be done for fun.

I whole heartily agree with your statement that geocaching is just a game and it is supposed to be done for fun. But for whose fun?

If it is fun for the finder then that encourages him to find more caches. If it is fun for the hider than that encourages him to hide more caches. If it isn't fun for the hider then do you really think he will want to hide more caches? You encourage the placement of good hides by leaving a quality log entry on caches that you really enjoy.

I didn't read anything in the OPs question. So I didn't assume that he was asking if I only used TFTC or TFTH as a cache log entry. I'm not exactly sure which acronym was used first but in my area TFTC was the that used first. Whether my cache log is long or short if I am going to use one of those two acronym I'll most likely pick TFTC.

You're doing a poor job at insulting someone then, since you're using such a common acronym that thanks them. They most likely have no idea you are trying to insult them, and probably will interpret it as encouragement, thus causing them to continue to put out poor quality caches.

Edited by UMainah

Yeah, yeah. Except they didn't do it for the first 9-10 years of Geocaching's existence. Cut me some slack, I was in the military for 22 years. I have a hard time adapting to lameness and half-assedness. :laughing:

Many have brought up in these threads what else are you going to write for another keyholder in a metal streetcorner newspaper box? Believe me, I know, there are no less than 60 of them in my area, 40 by the same person. But as you can probably imagine, this grumpy old guy ignores them. B)

Being in the military, you should be used to acronyms be now. :D

Being in the military, you should be used to acronyms be now. :D

I couldn't possibly argue with that one, now could I? :lol:

I didn't read anything in the OPs question. So I didn't assume that he was asking if I only used TFTC or TFTH as a cache log entry. I'm not exactly sure which acronym was used first but in my area TFTC was the that used first. Whether my cache log is long or short if I am going to use one of those two acronym I'll most likely pick TFTC.

I agree. There is absolutely nothing in the OP discussing "TFTC" or "TFTH" as the entire contents of an online log. I hope I'm not personally responsible for steering the discussion in that direction. But I probably am. Sorry.

To answer the question then, I don't feel like trying to look it up, but wasn't TFTC and other acronyms discussed, and hammered out right here in these forums in like 2001 or 2002? In my experience, TFTC is much more well-established. I dare say I didn't see the less common TFTH until a few years ago.

TFTC or TFTH?

Neither. They both translate to "This cache sucked so much all I'm willing to write is a stinkin' little acronym". Generally, these days, when I find a cache that sucks that bad, I just don't log it at all.

When used all by itself. Nothing wrong with adding TFTC as a part of the log:

It was a great day to be on the trails. Found your nicely hidden cache in great shape. TFTC!

(While I hate getting TFTC logs, that by itself doesn't necessarily mean your cache stinks. It could also mean the cacher that posted it doesn't read the forums, but did hear that term, and thinks that it is an acceptable thing. It can also be a cacher that can't type well. All it really means is that the log itself stinks)