What bushwhacking tools could I use in public areas?

CrimSin

This is probably a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to carry around with you to bushwhack with. It's obviously a little strange to see someone walking around with a hand axe or something of that sort.. So what do you guys use if anything but your bare hands?

Not much for me. Most parks and campgrounds prohibit cutting vegetation, I believe mostly to keep people from taking flowers or cutting down trees for firewood. But even if they didn't I wouldn't do any trimming of bushes or ground cover, it's just not right.

Not much for me. Most parks and campgrounds prohibit cutting vegetation, I believe mostly to keep people from taking flowers or cutting down trees for firewood. But even if they didn't I wouldn't do any trimming of bushes or ground cover, it's just not right.

This. I'll use my trekking poles to move stuff out of the way, but that's about it.

This is probably a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to carry around with you to bushwhack with.

Bushwacking in the context of geocaching shouldn't actually involve the whacking of any bush. If you feel you require an axe, machete, or any other tool to remove vegetation to get to the cache, you're either going the wrong way, or the cache has been hidden in a very poorly-chosen spot. From the Fundamental Placement Guidelines:

5. Wildlife is not harmed in the pursuit of geocaching. Geocaches are placed so that plant and animal life are safe from both intentional and unintentional harm. In some regions geocaching activity may need to cease for portions of the year.

This is probably a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to carry around with you to bushwhack with. It's obviously a little strange to see someone walking around with a hand axe or something of that sort.. So what do you guys use if anything but your bare hands?

Long pants. Boots. If it really gets gnarly, long sleeve shirt/jacket. Looking back to see where I've been, I should not be able to see that I was there.

Let's just say we've found some caches in which people haven't exactly followed the rules of making it easy to get to. Even after finding the cache, there wasn't an easy way to get back. Thanks for the input.

There is no rule about 'making it easy to get to'. You just have to find the right way to get there and back without any sort of slash and burn.

Either there is some confusion about the meaning of 'bushwhacking', or the definition has been updated/changed and I wasn't consulted.

In my book, 'bushwhacking' means traveling on foot through a vegetated area where there is no trail or obvious path.

Personally I wouldn't call it a 'bushwhack' unless it was a somewhat significant distance (like 2-300 feet at least).

While you may indeed feel like whacking the bush behind the strip-mall where a cache is supposedly hidden, this is NOT the classic definition of a 'bushwhack'.

Such a cache is more properly labeled as an 'SBH' cache, (Stupid Bush Hide) a close cousin of the LPC.

I generally wave a machete over my head when caching in Central Park. It gets rid of all kinds of pesky things... :ph34r:

That's you? I'm the dude swinging a weedwhacker like a baseball bat. Nice to meetcha.

Funny how both of you are on opposite coasts (one from CA & the other from NY), I'm in Texas & I think we've seen both of you before :laughing:

Either there is some confusion about the meaning of 'bushwhacking', or the definition has been updated/changed and I wasn't consulted.

In my book, 'bushwhacking' means traveling on foot through a vegetated area where there is no trail or obvious path.

Personally I wouldn't call it a 'bushwhack' unless it was a somewhat significant distance (like 2-300 feet at least).

While you may indeed feel like whacking the bush behind the strip-mall where a cache is supposedly hidden, this is NOT the classic definition of a 'bushwhack'.

Such a cache is more properly labeled as an 'SBH' cache, (Stupid Bush Hide) a close cousin of the LPC.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Let's just say we've found some caches in which people haven't exactly followed the rules of making it easy to get to. Even after finding the cache, there wasn't an easy way to get back. Thanks for the input.

Skip the cache. I don't need to find them all. I do the same thing with poorly hidden urban caches that are deep into someone elses landscaping.

Skip the cache. I don't need to find them all. I do the same thing with poorly hidden urban caches that are deep into someone elses landscaping.

Boy, are you ever making a bunch of assumptions about where the OP is asking about.

Guess you've never walked through a grove of scrub oak or willows out in the forest.

Nothing!

Not cool to go hacking around in any woodlot.

If you can't get there with your hands, or pushing aside brambles, etc. with a hiking pole, your looking in the wrong place, or taking the wrong route to the cache.