Changing Letterbox/Hybrid to Stamp Hunting?

iryshe

Last summer at one of our Geocaching picnics, one of the park rangers was approached by a child to have his passport book stamped with the park's stamps.

So I thought, hey, since we already had a Letterbox/Hybrid idea, why not start including the park stamps as well? This is a great opportunity to extend the hunt out to the National Parks and other areas where a geocache may not necessarily be allowed.

There are many links online to get started, but a large list of these locations would be great for folks with kids. What do you think?

I figured we could change Letterboxing Hybrid to Stamp Hunting - This would also address the issue of folks not understanding that you shouldn't take the stamp.

Suggested rules for Stamp Hunting:

• All stamps should be originals (not store bought)

• Designs should be family friendly

• Logbooks are optional. Unlike Letterboxing you are not required to have your own stamp.

• Stamps are non-commercial (similar rules to geocaching)

Permission will still need to be obtained before placing one, but existing stamp locations are fine. Also, if it is located in a park it is fine to have an address or directions as an alternative to using a GPS.

Ultimately the goal to geocaching is to locate places you have never been, so it seems appropriate as a variation.

Thoughts?

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I like the concept as an alternative for parks where physical caches are not allowed. If I were to set one of these up, I would do it as a multicache, taking the visitor to a point of interest in the park, then using virtual clues from that location to give them a "secret password." Then, go to the park office, say the secret password, and have the park ranger stamp your book. In the process, the park staff would get to meet more geocachers! In contrast, simply showing up at the park office doesn't guarantee an adventure. The number-crazed among us (myself included) would just show up at the park office, collect the stamp, and leave for the next cache hunt.

I have a question: "Logbook optional" is inconsistent with other physical cache types under the current rules. Virtual caches require some sort of verification with the cache owner. Locationless caches require a photo. What is the proposed verification method for stamp hunting, if a logbook is optional and you do not need to bring a stamp, as you would for a pure letterbox? Unfortunately, you need some safeguard against fake finds.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I dissent.

Box in the Woods = Geocache

No Box in the Woods = Waypoint.org

I think this variant would have some new site addresses:

stampinthewoods.org and stampintherangersoffice.org

icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

• Logbooks are optional. Unlike letterboxing you are not required to have your own stamp.

I think this is a fine idea, but I would think it might have its own section, like benchmarks, since there may be no logbook (and therefore, no easy means of verification of a find). Basically what I'm saying is that the 'find count' for these might be in their own category like benchmarks.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Okay, third re-write of my post...

Changing hybrids to include simply asking for a stamp? To be counted the same as one of my hybrids that collect DNFs because of the challenge? I guess drive-bys count the same 5/5s.

Still chewing on this... Am I so set my ways that I can not grasp what you are trying to do?

It would be to my advantage as I can see some cool angles, but the verification issue still has me bothered. No logbook. Hmmm...

We have no idea how the new site is coming or the new features. However, if there could be some sort of challenge word or password in order to log the find, that should be good enough most of the time. On the other hand, while it could be said there is no requirement for a logbook to place the stamp, the owner could require signing/stamping a logbook in order for it to be claimed as a find.

What about proximity? Say there is a cache at a lighthouse and the lighthouse people have a stamp, would they be able to register their stamp? (Actually, this an issue for all caches on property where the manager might want to place a cache but there is already on there.)

What about getting existing stamps online? Would we be able to simply list a stamp that we know to exist or would we have to get permission, or actually convince the owner/manger to sign up and list the stamp themselves?

I don't like the "store bought" wording as custom, one-off stamps can still be considered "store bought." I think you're meaning generic stamps or stock stamps, am I right?

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Some things have to be ironed out. Overall, I give it a thumbs up!

(No more re-writes!)

CR

72057_2000.gif

I have a passport book and am always looking for parks along our travel paths where we can get it stamped.

Since there would be no way to guarantee that folks have/have not been to a Stamp cache, why bother. I can see the yells of cheating bringing more strife to the forums than anyone would want. And the complaints about drive by Stamps... icon_smile.gif

On the other hand, if you put out a Stamp book like the Passport book, with the coordinates of all the Stamp caches, then folks would buy it and go find the caches.

OR:

Make printable cache page that would be ready to go into a binder (that Geocaching.com would sell) and has a space at the top for the stamp to be placed.

I wouldn't vote for the idea if it was put to a vote, but I would probably play if there was one in an area we were already going.

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

I figured we could change Letterboxing Hybrid to Stamp Hunting

If you change it in the Pocket Query GPX files, I would simply ask that you please announce it, say, a week ahead of time. You obviously don't have to, but as the CITO addition showed, just changing something in the GPX files without announcing it first can completely wreak havoc on some of us. (It didn't require an all-nighter or anything, but it did completely reallocate what was supposed to be a completely different evening for me.)

Anyway, I'm fairly neutral on the idea, as it's completely out of my field of vision, but if you keep the GPX application people in mind in case of any change(s), it would help me sleep better at night (especially when I'm somewhere away from home... Chicago this week).

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I think this is a fine idea, but I would think it might have its own section, like benchmarks, since there may be no logbook (and therefore, no easy means of verification of a find).

I second that.

Another reason why this makes sense is that, like benchmarks, there are many stamps out there that can go in the system but don't have an "owner" in the geocaching.com sense of the word. Unless you plan to talk every park out there with a stamp into having an employee signed up here....

Another similar type of thing is those penny-smashing machines in many places that turn pennies into souvenirs for tourists. Probably a little too commercial, though.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Ferrets:

Another similar type of thing is those penny-smashing machines in many places that turn pennies into souvenirs for tourists. Probably a little too commercial, though.

If you're interested in penny smashers (like we are), you should check out our first cache,Smash a Penny, which is a locationless cache that 'collects' coords of penny smashing machines. I plan on making this into a clickable map at some point, assuming Jeremey doesn't add this functionality to locationless caches.

--Marky

Okay, let's see if I understand this now.

I understand geocaching. In its purest form it's a box of trinkets and a logbook. GPS coordinates are posted on geocaching.com.

I understand letterboxing. There is a stamp and a logbook in the box, and your stamp and logbook in your pocket. Written directions or clues are posted on letterboxing.org.

I think I understand letterbox hybrid. There is a stamp, trinkets, and a logbook in the box, and you have a stamp and logbook. Coordinates and/or written directions are used to find it. It may be posted on both sites.

I have never heard of Passport before now. It seems to be an 'autograph book' for locations. You buy the book, take it to the location, and ask someone to stamp the appropriate page. There are no coordinates or directions, they give you the street address. Sounds interesting, I might try it sometime.

Does this sound about right? Or am I still lost?

If this Passport idea is brought 'on board', it should have its own section, like the benchmarks. Like the benchmarks, you don't need a GPSr to find them, and the proof could be pictures taken of the location.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

quote:
Originally posted by RichardMoore:

I'm confused. There would be a container with the stamp in it, it would be hidden and the coordinates/directions posted. Right? Why would areas that don't permit geocaching allow this? Or am I missing something? Again? icon_confused.gif

Idaho has something like this. Go get your "Visit Every Idaho County" book stamped at participation businesses in each county. I've been in every Idaho County long before this was an idea.

There are a lot of logistical problems with this, but people buy state spoons for thier spoon collection so it's a valid activity.

RichardMoore

http://www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I don't think I'd change Letterbox hybrid caches to "stamp hunting", but I'd be for creating another category for it. Perhaps with its own counts, like benchmarks.

_"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"_ -Abraham Lincoln

I agree. Now to check my sanitee.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I don't think I'd change Letterbox hybrid caches to "stamp hunting", but I'd be for creating another category for it. Perhaps with its own counts, like benchmarks.

I'm going to have to agree. I've been thinking about this and kinda think that "stamp hunting" would be too broad of a definition. Where would you post your hybrids? You wouldn't be able to seperate the hybrids from the park stamps which are two completely different animals.

For that matter, now might be a good time to look at the ability to have a single cache listed in different types. For instance, multi letterbox hybrids. Where does that really fit? But if you allow them to fit in both multi caches AND hybrids, it would work.

Maybe, there shouldn't be a multi cache type. Just a traditional cache with a multi stage attribute. You could have geocache, hybrid, (letterbox, not likely, but could), stamp, virt, benchmark, and whatever. The multi stage, offset, etc. would be attributes to be added.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I think I don't like hybrids getting mixed in with just any old stamp location.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Thanks for your input. I can always count on the forum participants to set me straight.

At this point its just a concept, so I'll consider it as a new section more than a replacement for letterbox hybrids. There definitely has to be more thought as to how it would be set up.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I agree with the idea of adding a new category, or better yet, a new section (like benchmarks) for Stamp Hunting. Sounds like fun! I don't like the idea of changing the current letterbox/hybrid category.

I'd like to see some additional sections added (like benchmarking):

National Register of Historic Places

County Highpoints

I'm sure there are many other possibilities...

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

Jimminy Christmas! Isn't there enough stuff that is supposed to be added or changed to this website without thinking of whole new sections? Could we please have this mysterious, expanded and updated, modernized, new and improved, one of the books, all you'll ever need, all that and a bag of chips website. And *then* spent time on new pursuits?

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

County Highpoints

Both of these are locationless caches.

Friends don't let friends attempt to persuade them to be biased toward any particular type of cache.

We recently searched for a cache on Dartmoor (the home of letterboxing) only not to find it. The cache owner had removed it probably only hours before we went looking for it. His reason was that someone, possibly letterboxers, had found it and had left it in somewhat of a mess. I suggested that if he replaced the contents with a stamp, stamp pad and log book then geocachers could take an impression and write a comment in the log book, and any letterboxers that found it could do their own thing and would leave it as they found it.

I suppose that it would then be some sort of a hybrid, but could still be logged as a conventional cache.

quote:
Originally posted by kd4adc:

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

County Highpoints

Both of these are locationless caches.

Friends don't let friends attempt to persuade them to be biased toward any particular type of cache.

Correct. There were also locationless caches for benchmarks before the benchmarking section was added.

However, you can only log most locationless caches once. I'd like to see databases where we could log as many as we can find. And yes, I know there's another website for county highpoints, but frankly, Jeremy could do a whole lot better.

The way I see it, the more things to hunt, the better, especially if the additional hunt types are kept in different databases, like benchmarking.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif