Don't panic...site update scheduled for today (April 12, 2012)

Geocaching.com will be going offline temporarily for a site update on Thursday, April 12, 2012 at approximately 10pm PDT

Does anyone else find it odd this update is scheduled for 10 PM, rather than am? A typo or correct? I guess we'll find out later this morning.

I noticed that too. It's either a typo, or a big update that will affect fewer people's using of the site at that hour than in the morning. That's my take at least, and with all the power, influence, and authority I have around here....

Geocaching.com will be going offline temporarily for a site update on Thursday, April 12, 2012 at approximately 10pm PDT

Does anyone else find it odd this update is scheduled for 10 PM, rather than am? A typo or correct? I guess we'll find out later this morning.

I noticed that too. It's either a typo, or a big update that will affect fewer people's using of the site at that hour than in the morning. That's my take at least, and with all the power, influence, and authority I have around here....

I noticed the time as "p.m." too and thought that was unusual. (That's 1:00 a.m. my time.)

Ok, so now I'm panicking. :lol:

B.

They bought out Funzee and planning plug it in geocaching.com.

I'm not sure exactly where I read it, but one of the lackeys posted that the update is related to problems with the API server(s). They're upgrading one or more of the servers to better handle the load. As far as I'm aware at this point, the down time is strictly to upgrade hardware.

--Larry

They bought out Funzee and planning plug it in geocaching.com.

I'm not sure exactly where I read it, but one of the lackeys posted that the update is related to problems with the API server(s). They're upgrading one or more of the servers to better handle the load. As far as I'm aware at this point, the down time is strictly to upgrade hardware.

--Larry

I would agree it is a hardware upgrade. The big infrastructure changes in the past have been late evening frog time.

Will the iPhone app and forums still work?

That's 6am on Friday morning my time, and I like my early morning caches :blink:

The forums are are on a separate infrastructure and should be working fine. I would guess that the iPhone servers will be down with the rest of the site.

Will the iPhone app and forums still work?

That's 6am on Friday morning my time, and I like my early morning caches :blink:

The forums are are on a separate infrastructure and should be working fine. I would guess that the iPhone servers will be down with the rest of the site.

Thank you!

I'll just use the download feature and wait until the site is back up to log find/DNFs :)

They're upgrading one or more of the servers to better handle the load. As far as I'm aware at this point, the down time is strictly to upgrade hardware.

Which makes the downtime notice misleading, since it says it's a site update. I seem to remember another downtime several months ago with a similarly misleading notice.

They're upgrading one or more of the servers to better handle the load. As far as I'm aware at this point, the down time is strictly to upgrade hardware.

Which makes the downtime notice misleading, since it says it's a site update. I seem to remember another downtime several months ago with a similarly misleading notice.

Not long after that "update", after much speculation in the forums when no one could figure out what, if anything, changed, they explained how the downtime was just a hardware modification. They also promised, in the future, to post a notice explaining any downtime, to help minimize the wild speculation.

I did see something in the past couple of days explaining that this downtime was for hardware changes; I wish I could remember where I saw that post, and I wish they would post something a bit more definitive here.

--Larry

So, for those who use mygeocachingprofile.com, are your stats showing in your profile? Mine are all little boxes with red x's in them, or blue boxes with ? on another computer. And, that web site says "service unavailable".

It does seem that the small part of my public profile that had some info from there has gone blank.

So, for those who use mygeocachingprofile.com, are your stats showing in your profile? Mine are all little boxes with red x's in them, or blue boxes with ? on another computer. And, that web site says "service unavailable".

It does seem that the small part of my public profile that had some info from there has gone blank.

And now it works again . Huh.

Does it matter as long as the site works or is the discrepancy taking the brunt for the usual moans and groans that follow any updates :rolleyes:

What's the point of maintaining a status page if it's never accurate? If they can't or won't keep that page up to date, it's worse than useless and should be eliminated.

--Larry

I don't see a release note. What changes did they do?

Purely speculation, but they may have upgraded the image servers: http://forums.Ground...dpost&p=5018154

As I mentioned in a previous post, the downtime was indeed for hardware changes only. The post I saw mentioned only the server(s) involved with the API, but they could have also souped up other servers while they were at it.

--Larry