'keewee and family visit the USA!' Cointest

keewee

inbound - October 17, 20:00

Well done Gatoulis, this is the correct Inbound date. I think rather than try to get you all to guess the time I will tell you and I will award the first geocoin to Gatoulis.

CONGRATULATIONS

Gatoulis

We fly out of Christchurch International Airport at 6.35am heading to Orlando via Sydney and Dallas.

Edited by keewee

Leave Orlando November 2nd 6:55 am

Suggestion - Don't forget the sunscreen everyday, multiple times daily. This is Florida and it is hot and sunny.

And seekerfamily, you have got the correct Outbound date for the day we fly out of Orlando - Well Done...

Again, rather than try to get you all to guess the time I will tell you and I will award the second geocoin to seekerfamily.

CONGRATULATIONS

seekerfamily

We fly out of Orlando International at 1.15pm on the 2nd of November heading to Christchurch via LA.

I booked the flights so we would get to experience a real Halloween!

So now you know that we will be in the US between Oct 17th and Nov 2nd - so this will make Cointest #2 suggestions a bit easier. :)

Oh!! I found the date? :) Congrats to seekerfamily too!!! :D

Tip and Info for the cointest #2

since you will be there in October.. you will be there durung Halloween right? In orlando there are the Halloween horror nights... and I am posting a link I foung (has other links inside for info too...if you are interested...), BUT!!! these nights are not for young children! even the trailers are not for children under 13.... so... even if you do not want these.. you will know what to expect if they tell you to go...

here is the link..

http://www.orlando-florida.net/events/october/halloween-horror-nights.htm

Don't know if you have time to make it to Key West on your trip, but Ernest Hemingway's home is there and you can tour it. There are about sixty cats that still reside at the home. Many of the cats have six toes, and it is rumored that they are descendents of Hemingway's own six-toed cat! Reviews on this tour are really favorable.

For an relaxing day away from the amusement parts, you might consider Discovery Cove in Orlando. You can spend the day relaxing on the beach, snorkeling amongst the fish, swimming, and you can ever schedule a swim with the dolphins! Check out their website for more info and for pricing for the day.

In case you like the idea of the ballon ride.. I found that with less than 20$ (probably per person), and 15$ if you use a coupon (I do not know where you will find one... so you have to ask.. and please bring one for me too for my collection! :laughing: ), you can go up with a hellium balloon, and see the disney parks etc from above... and if you go at night... you can even see the fireworks... from the magic kingdom....

the pilot is friendly, and the experience amazing! and it is nice for children too!!

Just make sure the weather is ok..for the ride.. and ask foy info there!

you can find critics from people who actually did that here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.gr/ShowUserReviews-g34515-d1556970-r126832981-Characters_in_Flight-Orlando_Florida.html#REVIEWS

edit for some spelling mistakes...

Edited by GATOULIS

Floridas west coast has some really neat spots. Crystal river and homasassa springs are two really neat ones. If you go to homasassa springs state park you can get up close and personal with the manatees and some other really neat Florida wildlife too.

Edited by ocklawahaboy

When we were researching geocaches in Florida, we came across one that seems amazing: "The Ghost Orchid" (http://coord.info/GC112JY).

It's a 5/5 multi geocache, in Fakahatchee Strand where you can see many species of orchids. It is a long, hot and wet hike, but seems to be worth it, both for the geocache and the sights. Perhaps attractive both to the scout and the wife?

Unfortunately we weren't able to fit it into our programme when we visited Florida, but it is one of the things I'll definitely prepare for if we go back.

Ok, 131 replies and I'm just now thinking about a must do geocaching event for you. The Florida Finders Fest will be going on when you are here. Gc36pza. There will likely be hundreds of new caches, several events, including the main MEGA event. Games and caches galore! There is free camping and I would gladly loan you tent etc. They usually have an event coin and other cool swag. Rent a car, drive 2 hrs north and have the caching time of your life. I may even be running a canoeing/caching event this year. Feel free to Pm me with any questions.

Great idea on the Florida Finders Fest - If we ever get a weekend off we will make it there and not have to travel halfway around the globe only about 3 hours for us. On the west coast of Florida you can visit Tarpon Springs and the sponge docks. A huge Greek community in the area - Gatoulis would like it.

while I was searching, I saw that criminality is big in Orlando.. so you have to be careful!

here is a link.. to see the safe areas and the areas you have to avoid! I believe you really want to ready this....

oups... I forgot the link!!!

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/08/16/safe-and-dangerous-places-in-orlando/

Some area of Orlando are high crime. Not as bad as some other cities though. Just stay around the main tourist areas at night and you'll be fine. Just like anywhere else in the world, well lighted areas are your friend and money is safer in the front trouser pocket than the back. Orlando wouldn't exist without tourist so they do their best to keep you safe.

while I was searching, I saw that criminality is big in Orlando.. so you have to be careful!

here is a link.. to see the safe areas and the areas you have to avoid! I believe you really want to ready this....

oups... I forgot the link!!!

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/08/16/safe-and-dangerous-places-in-orlando/

Some area of Orlando are high crime. Not as bad as some other cities though. Just stay around the main tourist areas at night and you'll be fine. Just like anywhere else in the world, well lighted areas are your friend and money is safer in the front trouser pocket than the back. Orlando wouldn't exist without tourist so they do their best to keep you safe.

Of course! for example... Athens here in Greece is like a jungle! :( you haveto be very careful in some areas...