Should i fix someones wrecked cache?

adamkhan

I found my first cache but it was full of water, and worse, it was a postcard themed cache...not properly waterproofed..only the pen was solid, rest mush....so i thought if it would be rude if i removed the content and dried it out, maybe even replace the logbook with a new one (old one has everything washed off) and then sealing it in plastic bags and replacing in its intended hiding spot....i asked the user who put it there, but i havent got a response yet... should i go and make it fun for others, as i was let down (that too on my first :( )

Depends a bit but you don't HAVE to do it, it's normally up to the owner to maintain his cache. But ofcourse you can lend a hand if you have the right material with you, the owner will probably be most grateful !

What I would't to is take everything home, more people like you might turn up and find an empty cache...

Should you replace someone else's wrecked cache? No. That wouldn't be a good idea.

Minor maintenance is fine, like drying out a cache or adding a fresh log, but it sounds like it needs much more maintenance than that.

Major maintenance should be done by the owner. If they aren't responding to your messages, and based on the logs reporting problems with the cache going back over a year, it sounds like the owner isn't around anymore. If the owner isn't able to maintain their own cache (which they agreed to do when they hid it), the cache should be archived.

Log a "Needs maintenance" log reporting the issues, and if the owner doesn't do anything for a few weeks, log a "Needs archive" log to alert the reviewers to the problem. If they agree with your assessment, they'll archive the cache (remove it from the map and searches).

Congrats on finding your first cache! It's unfortunate that such a cache was the first one you found, but it can only go up from here!

Should you replace someone else's wrecked cache? No. That wouldn't be a good idea.

Minor maintenance is fine, like drying out a cache or adding a fresh log, but it sounds like it needs much more maintenance than that.

Major maintenance should be done by the owner. If they aren't responding to your messages, and based on the logs reporting problems with the cache going back over a year, it sounds like the owner isn't around anymore. If the owner isn't able to maintain their own cache (which they agreed to do when they hid it), the cache should be archived.

Log a "Needs maintenance" log reporting the issues, and if the owner doesn't do anything for a few weeks, log a "Needs archive" log to alert the reviewers to the problem. If they agree with your assessment, they'll archive the cache (remove it from the map and searches).

Congrats on finding your first cache! It's unfortunate that such a cache was the first one you found, but it can only go up from here!

Yup.

Minor incidental repair is one thing. New container, new contents, rehide is a major thing - all for a CO that seems not to care what happens.

This cache is located in Islamabad, Pakistan. It is the ONLY cache within 50km. I looked up the info on the cache owner and saw that he is a military man and likely isn't even in Pakistan any more so there is no CO to take care of this cache. It says in the description that there is a "local cache guardian" designated to help care for the cache. If you contact the reviewer:erik88l-r you might be able to find out who this is.

Adam, if you are serious about geocaching - not just fooling around with a hobby you'll give up in three weeks - I would highly recommend reading the message boards about what makes a good cache (container/hide style/contents) and try to get permission to place a few caches of your own in Fatima Jinnah Park. Find a few nice bits of architecture and celebrate them with a cache :)