Garmin map updates

TeamSpags

I have noticed recently that the maps on our Garmin Nuvi 200W are out of date (The Garmin gets confused on some new roads and we have been led down roads that don't exist). So I think a map update is in order.

I have tried the Garmin online map updates, but when I connect the device I get the message: "Map updates are not applicable to this device".

Is there any way to update the maps on the Nuvi 200W? (Preferably for free)

Thanks (^.^)

I have noticed recently that the maps on our Garmin Nuvi 200W are out of date (The Garmin gets confused on some new roads and we have been led down roads that don't exist). So I think a map update is in order.

I have tried the Garmin online map updates, but when I connect the device I get the message: "Map updates are not applicable to this device".

Is there any way to update the maps on the Nuvi 200W? (Preferably for free)

Thanks (^.^)

As with anything software related its always available for free - I notice you never said free and legal.

The garmin maps are trivial to copy and unlock - the newer maps have a newer method of protection but are just as trivial to work with. Jetmouse might be your friend here.You can either download the new maps or buy a DVD for a nominal price.

You do not mention what version you are using. Since the 200W is likley discontinued you probably bopught yours two or three years ago I woudl guess - depending on when you bought it you may have been entitled to a upgrade. If you wish to purhcase the maps Garmin should have a pricing matrix on their web site - overly complicated in my opinion. Might actually be cheaper and more convenient to buy a new unit - although I susepct that some of the new units are sold without a map which you then have to purchase separately. Also upgrading maps may not solve your problem. I have noticed 3 years of upgrades have not solved some basic issues in the mapping in some areas.

Then there is the fact that the local maps have changed completely to a different provider Navteq vs TeleAltlas and there have been some moans about the new maps whichever they are. So you might want to stick with the old style Garmap maps and not bother getting the latest. Or you could install OSM maps which are pretty good and in some areas better than Garmin. These are both free and legal. They route nicely but the embedded address information may be missing - ie it will not find a street address but if you know the coords it will happily route you. You coud of course look thta up on the old Garmin map and select it then save it to a favorite for future use with the OSM maps or just select your destination in the Garmin map and then switch over to the osm map which takes a couple of taps of the screen.

Goodluck and MTFBWY!

Trev

I know of some software which can take OpenStreetMaps and convert them in Garmin readable files.

When I last looked at it these maps will not be routable.

Here are some links to get you started:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin/eTrex_series

http://www.dragon-tortuga.net/blog/?p=496

I must say Garmin is out of their mind to charge around R1500.00 for a new map since there are so many "free" maps available. Like google maps on any and every smartphone.

I must be honest and say that if I had to upgrade and pay R 1500.00 I would pirate a map. My last upgrade was R350,00 odd which I could still stomach. Only reason was that the insurance bought me a new GPS and the because of that I got the maps cheaper.

As a side note. And I am not sure if I have the whole story.... Someone here in GP bought the new eTrex 30 for R2.200.00 which I thought was a good price, and was considering getting one myself. Problem is it comes only with a base map. If you want the Southern Africa Topo maps, and extra R1500.00 please. So that nice little GPSr will cost you almost R4 K when you are done.

And when you buy Android smart phone you get the maps for free. (not Topo though)

This is maybe a better URL to start from:

http://wiki.openstre...M_Map_On_Garmin

Nice link Anton but that is for geeks and techno-freaks - so try thta if it is your cup of tea

If you just want plain old OSM/Garmin goodness use this link

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

It lets you choose any map in the world and creates a fully routable img file that you can load into Mapsource/Basecamp of directly to your unit using some of the software that is probably mentioned in Antons link.

As I said it is fully routeable but may (probably) not have street number detail. So you cab preselct all the addresses you need to visit using the garmin map and save them as faverourites and then switch to the OSM map and you can route to those faveroutes. I fully concur what Anton says about R1500 for a map its a ludicrous rip-off - especially when there are equally good if not better maps available.

I think the major issues is mobile data costs - I never use mapsource to find routes - google maps and it is constantly update and free. You will be surprised at how small the incremental changes are in the Garmin maps and as previously mentioned you can send updates till you are blue in the face and you never know if they will inlude them. With OSM you can make the updates yourself and within hours download the updated maps to your unit. I guess I woudl still buy a garmin but I woudl not buy a map!! I am sure I can get offline maps on my android phone and the next time I go on a trip I will compare the garmin to the phone and see which one performs better.

Trev

Trevor - I used MOBAC to create offline maps for free on my Android - http://mobac.sourceforge.net/

The newer versions do not let you use Google Maps etc as mentioned on the page I linked to.

Go to the forums and see which suppliers pulled the plug.

However if you have an older version of the software it may still let you do so.

I will check later and see if this is so

I may just happen to have such a version somewhere on my hard drive .................

Ok so I managed to update the maps, it was actually easier than expected :)

I used the OSM/Garmin link from Trevorh7000, all I had to do was select South Africa and they sent me a link for the file download. I just copied this onto the SD card, now I have both the original Garmin maps and the OSM maps on the GPS. There was also the option to install the OSM map to MapSource, which is a bonus because my version of MapSource didn't come with the detailed maps. The OSM wiki page has great info and instuctions.

The OSM maps look good, we will have to see how good they are out in the field...

Thanks for the help (^.^)