Non Premium disadvantage

tracou

I've recently found some nice spots that I was trying to hide a cache in. However, I'm finding a huge problem with the fact that I cannot afford the Premium service...I can't see the Premium cache's that are hidden in the same area! This is very frustrating! I was told I can see them on the map, but this is not correct as I have tried doing that prior to going out to determine where to hide the cache.

Are there any non premium members out there that know how to work around this?? I have put so much effort into putting my first cache together and even have a TB to put in to get moving around, but each area I go to has a Premium cache too close to the spot I've chosen, of course I don't find this out until after I've submitted my location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Best bet is to simply email the reviewer and ask about a potential location before going through the effort of hiding one their and creating a listing page.

BTW - you can get 3 months of membership for just $10 - might be worth it.

If you go to the find a cache page and use the coordinates of your new cache for the search by coordinates you will get a list of nearby caches, both premium and non premium. You will not get the finals for multis and and mysteries and premium members also don't get that information.

To repeat what someone else has already said:

Even Premium Members don't know all the currently held hiding spots if they haven't solved the nearby puzzle caches or multicaches. It's been discussed before, and unless you check with the reviewer on a proposed location, the only way to know if a cache is hidden in an area is to find all the caches!

(Not an easy task, I know!)

Here's a link to a Knowledge Book Article on using the available tools on Geocaching.com to avoid being too near an existing cache. http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

Near the bottom it explains how to use the Hide and Seek a cache function to "see" PMO caches. This will work okay for you.

As just about everyone else has said, there's no way to know where puzzles, multis, wherigos are, except to find them - and then you need to be data pack rat, and keep the coords for that stuff in your part of the world.

Here's a link to a Knowledge Book Article on using the available tools on Geocaching.com to avoid being too near an existing cache. http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

Near the bottom it explains how to use the Hide and Seek a cache function to "see" PMO caches. This will work okay for you.

As just about everyone else has said, there's no way to know where puzzles, multis, wherigos are, except to find them - and then you need to be data pack rat, and keep the coords for that stuff in your part of the world.

Thank you for this information. This may be more helpful.

While I would love to buy the Premium membership, being recently laid off due to the company I worked for being sold is not something in the budget, even for only $10.00.

When looking at the maps and you see an area that seems to be ripe for a cache..... there must be a reason no cache is near there.

When I went to hide my first cache I thought I came up with a perfect area..... there weren't any caches within 1/4 mile. WOO HOO!!

After the reviewer denied several spots, I found out why. There were stages of multis and puzzle solutions in that area.

I can't understand how anyone who is a geocacher can't afford the Premium membership. That is $30 per year, or $2.50 per month. That is less than a gallon of gas or a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Visiting geocaches does require some driving. If you can't afford to pay $2.50 per month, then perhaps you shouldn't do any geocaching whatsoever.

I can't understand how anyone who is a geocacher can't afford the Premium membership. That is $30 per year, or $2.50 per month. That is less than a gallon of gas or a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Visiting geocaches does require some driving. If you can't afford to pay $2.50 per month, then perhaps you shouldn't do any geocaching whatsoever.

Wow and maybe you shouldn't be replying to a post unless you have something intelligent to say. While the yearly rate equates to $2.50 per month, the membership fee is $30.00 for the year. For a single mom who has recently been laid off due to absolutely no fault of her own, $30 or even $10 being spent on something like this at this time is in fact a lot of money!

I do my geocaching in between my daughter's school and home, with my bf on the weekends in his car or I walk around the neighborhood, for free. I save my gas for interviews and transporting my child to school. You are obtuse in your reply.

You must of had a bad day and decided to take it out on me suggesting I stop doing something that so many people enjoy just because I can't be all Premium like you and pay the $30. You should really be ashamed of yourself.

Your reply is totally uncalled for and I find it very rude and condescending. Very crass. If you do not have anything helpful to solve the OP's problem then the best thing you can do is move on and keep your mouth shut. If the OP chooses not to be a premium member, or can not afford to be a premium member really is none of your business and really does not need your comments and has no bearing what so ever on how to solve the problem of placing caches.

For a single mom who has recently been laid off due to absolutely no fault of her own....

I do my geocaching in between my daughter's school and home, with my bf on the weekends in his car or I walk around the neighborhood, for free.

Just some friendly advice: it's probably not a good idea to publicize such personal details (for safety reasons).

Even if you get the membership, you can still have problems. Recently, I tried getting three caches published in a small park. Trust me there is nothing listed for miles of this park (and it has been that way since at least December), but appearently someone else has an Unpublished cache in the area....and either they need to give up "claim on the land" or we can't list our cache there. It happens. You can get the membership so that you can see the other caches in the area and move it to a place that will be OK or you can keep guessing. Even so there can still be an invisible problem.

You sure stepped on your crank with this response. You might want to try some sensitivity training before you go on the attack.

Yes, for those who've been caching for 10 years, it probably does make sense to get the premium membership. For those who've just started, it's a new thing and there's no reason to jump in and start spending "trivial" amounts of money. There are enough caches out there for the regular folks that they don't need to spend the money.

Frankly, the only reason I have a premium membership is because a friend was interested in getting me and my son more involved. He didn't tell me he'd done it, and it was a week before I realized I had the premium membership. Am I enjoying it? Yes. Will I renew it myself? Probably. However, at the time it was given, I had no intention of forking over the $30 to get some extra goodies on the website.

Tracou, you just keep doing what you're doing. I spent two years doing the non-premium thing and it was still just as much fun. I think I had a whopping five finds during that time simply because it wasn't a big deal for me. It's not that much of a disadvantage, but I'm sure if you check around your area, there will be more advanced cachers who will be willing to help you out. Take it at your own pace and have fun!!!

This is the "Getting Started" forum. No angst, no rudeness, no snarkiness.

The cost of living is going through the roof ATM in Australia !!!!!!!!!!!

What about donations towards such Basic members, instead of offering a gift membership, how about expanding to offering a donation to such members.

"Donations" would be difficult to implement. It's been done, by a very generous member.

Perhaps Highpointer might like to consider gifting a Premium Membership.

3.1. Buying Premium Membership as a Gift

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=176

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I can understand - put yourself in the OP's place. Solely responsible for all bills, she is just being careful. I have been there, and have a friend in the same position. A bit of sympathy and encouragement would have been nicer.

To the OP, good luck on the job search - I did anything that was legal until something better came along.

Its not bad... it took nine replies before Highpointer made his comment.

I expected it to show alot sooner. :laughing:

Tracou like others said check with the reviewer or if you know a cacher that has premium membership that lives nearby send that person a note and Im sure you will he/she will gladly help you.

I can understand - put yourself in the OP's place. Solely responsible for all bills, she is just being careful. I have been there, and have a friend in the same position. A bit of sympathy and encouragement would have been nicer.

To the OP, good luck on the job search - I did anything that was legal until something better came along.

Add another to the formerly unemployeed that understands how difficult it can be and how something relatively inexpensive like geocaching can be a nice diversion from worrying how the bills are going to get paid at the end of the month.

I'd like to thank everyone for all their kind thoughts and advice. I have very kindly been gifted a year membership and have been completely thrilled and excited about it! I have vowed to do the same to someone in my position when I am capable of doing so because geocaching has definitely been a stress relief for me during this emotional time. I have been getting a lot of fresh air and exercise in these past few weeks that I hadn't gotten when I was working.

So again, thank you everyone. And to Highpointer, until you are in a position like I have been in you should really watch what you post. I believe in Karma and by kicking someone when they are down is just not a very nice thing to do.

I'd like to thank everyone for all their kind thoughts and advice. I have very kindly been gifted a year membership and have been completely thrilled and excited about it! I have vowed to do the same to someone in my position when I am capable of doing so because geocaching has definitely been a stress relief for me during this emotional time. I have been getting a lot of fresh air and exercise in these past few weeks that I hadn't gotten when I was working.

So again, thank you everyone. And to Highpointer, until you are in a position like I have been in you should really watch what you post. I believe in Karma and by kicking someone when they are down is just not a very nice thing to do.

That's great to hear! I've been there, and it's very cool that someone gifted one out. Happy caching!