travel bug question

madsherry

You should make a note of the travel bug's tracking number so that you can "retrieve" it from the original cache and "place" it in the next cache when you log online. If you have already moved it on, let us know and we'll try and help you out.

Thanks for asking the question, it'll help other new cachers. I'll post the link in a second...

I am new and have a question about trackables? When you are searching on the site for caches to look for and the bug is on that site is it because it was there at the beginning or has the trackable been put in that cach recently?

The symbol only tells you that there is a trackable currently logged in at that cache - That's no guarantee that it's there In Real Life.

Because many cachers don't know how to log trackables out/in to caches correctly (or don't bother to do it properly) there are many, many inaccuracies in the cache inventories. You need to assess the situation for each cache by going to the cache page, clicking the link to the trackables to get to its homepage, and then reading the most recent logs to see when it was dropped off in the cache.

MrsB :)

I am new and have a question about trackables? When you are searching on the site for caches to look for and the bug is on that site is it because it was there at the beginning or has the trackable been put in that cach recently?

It is 'supposed' to represent the current state of whether a trackable is in the cache or not. It has nothing to do with what 'started' in the cache when the cache was created.

However, if cachers do not properly log the travel bugs out of the cache and into the next one, then it might be wrong.

That unfortunately happens a lot, if someone doesn't know how to do it, or even realize that they should.

It is 'supposed' to represent the current state of whether a trackable is in the cache or not. It has nothing to do with what 'started' in the cache when the cache was created.

However, if cachers do not properly log the travel bugs out of the cache and into the next one, then it might be wrong.

That unfortunately happens a lot, if someone doesn't know how to do it, or even realize that they should.

I am confused too. My GPS had it logged as a bug cache..when we go there...we found nothing we could ID or log. So does this mean it is dead...was there...and now not there? So it is dead now? Does it mean it has gone on to another place...just want to do the right thing.

Hopefully it is either in another cache somewhere and will be logged again soon, or in the hands of a cacher who is tardy logging the find. Sadly, it's possible that it's missing. If I see a trackable listed that's not in a cache, I make sure to note that in my find log--that way others might see it and not get too excited about a trackable being there when it's not. I also note in the log if I took or dropped off a Travel Bug or coin (and which one). If none of the most recent logs mention dropping off a trackable supposedly in a cache, I'm skeptical that it's really there.

An icon sticks around on a cache listing until the cache owner removes it, even if several people mark the trackable as missing. My first cache had two lost coins listed in it for a really long time before I realized I had to remove them from the inventory.

If I see a trackable listed that's not in a cache, I make sure to note that in my find log--that way others might see it and not get too excited about a trackable being there when it's not.

I also go to the trackable's page, and if it was dropped more than about 3 months earlier, post a note that it's not in the listed cache. You do not need the trackable's number to do this.

An icon sticks around on a cache listing until the cache owner removes it, even if several people mark the trackable as missing. My first cache had two lost coins listed in it for a really long time before I realized I had to remove them from the inventory.

The trackable owner can also remove it from the inventory, but only if they know it's not there. The trackable's owner may be half a world away, so checking the cache themselves may be impossible. That's why it is important to log the "missing" on both the cache page and the trackable's page.

Austin

Edited by AustinMN