Sending pocket query caches to my GPS

tours4u

I have a DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 GPS - about 2 years old. I'm trying to send the PQ caches by clicking on the "send caches to GPS" icon at the top of the screen but the system only lets me click on one cache at the time (which works fine but too cumbersome for 120 caches). Any help would sure be appreciated.

I'm trying to send the PQ caches by clicking on the "send caches to GPS" icon at the top of the screen but the system only lets me click on one cache at the time (which works fine but too cumbersome for 120 caches).

Has the PQ run yet? If it has, you should receive an email with an attached ZIP file. If you unzip this, there will be one or two GPX files, one that has "-wpts" as part of the filename, and one without. The "-wpts" one contains the additional waypoints like parking and trailhead coordinates. You'll only see this file if at least one of the caches in the PQ has additional waypoints. The other file contains the caches. I'm not familiar with Delormes, but there should be a folder on your device where you can just copy these GPX files.

If you haven't received an email with the PQ result, then it hasn't run yet. Did you choose a day of the week to run? If not, all you're looking at is a preview of the PQ.

For some great information on PQs, see here.

I have a DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 GPS - about 2 years old. I'm trying to send the PQ caches by clicking on the "send caches to GPS" icon at the top of the screen but the system only lets me click on one cache at the time (which works fine but too cumbersome for 120 caches). Any help would sure be appreciated.

That unit will require some external software to transfer the PQ file when it arrives to the unit - I use "Cache Register"

That unit will require some external software to transfer the PQ file when it arrives to the unit - I use "Cache Register"

I am able to send caches to my GPS with no problem so long as they're one at a time. Do I really need separate software if I want to send more than one cache at a time?

I am able to send caches to my GPS with no problem so long as they're one at a time. Do I really need separate software if I want to send more than one cache at a time?

A PQ arrives as a single GPX file with all the caches bundled in it. Yes you need some software to move that data over to the unit. Just visit Delorme's site and download the cache register software.

You'll like the Cache Register widget. It makes PQ downloading and field note uploading a one-step, almost no-hands process.

As others have mentioned, the first step is to run the pocket query and download the resulting files.

DeLorme provides a couple of software options for downloading pocket queries to the PN-40, but I don't use them. What I do is tell the PN-40 to connect the internal drive (or, if you have one, SD drive) to the computer -- in the System Setup menu, there's a selection telling it which way to connect when it finds itself connected -- then copy the GPX files into the "Waypoints" directory you'll find when it connects up. You can do multiple pocket queries of different areas, then they show up as different files you can select for the geocache list.

But a BIG caveat: what I'm talking about came out in a firmware update within the last two years. My PN-40 is almost 2 years old now, and it couldn't do this when I first got it, making it a real pain. So if you haven't already, you'll probably have to upgrade your firmware before it will work as I've described. Alas, this upgrade isn't quite as easy to find as I would like, but if you search around the DeLorme site, you should be able to find it. If not, ask the DeLorme support people; from what I've seen, they're reasonably helpful.

As others have mentioned, the first step is to run the pocket query and download the resulting files.

DeLorme provides a couple of software options for downloading pocket queries to the PN-40, but I don't use them. What I do is tell the PN-40 to connect the internal drive (or, if you have one, SD drive) to the computer -- in the System Setup menu, there's a selection telling it which way to connect when it finds itself connected -- then copy the GPX files into the "Waypoints" directory you'll find when it connects up. You can do multiple pocket queries of different areas, then they show up as different files you can select for the geocache list.

But a BIG caveat: what I'm talking about came out in a firmware update within the last two years. My PN-40 is almost 2 years old now, and it couldn't do this when I first got it, making it a real pain. So if you haven't already, you'll probably have to upgrade your firmware before it will work as I've described. Alas, this upgrade isn't quite as easy to find as I would like, but if you search around the DeLorme site, you should be able to find it. If not, ask the DeLorme support people; from what I've seen, they're reasonably helpful.

Thanks so much. The help you and others have provided has solved my problem and I am very grateful.