Jeremy... Feature request

Acc-Risk and Snarflax

Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

Jeremy, can you enable allowing users to delete their own threads please? It's come up a few times...

Something like that is likely to cheeze off a few people... I mean, imagine if you are in a heated debate with someone about something - and you are WINNING, and that person just wipes out the whole thread.

Add to that the fact the usually many people respond in a single thread, and in deleting a thread that you started, you'd also be effectively silencing a whole lot of other folks.

Imho, it's just better to make sure you wanna say what you say before you say it. icon_razz.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

Jeremy, can you enable allowing users to delete their own threads please? It's come up a few times...

Something like that is likely to cheeze off a few people... I mean, imagine if you are in a heated debate with someone about something - and you are WINNING, and that person just wipes out the whole thread.

Add to that the fact the usually many people respond in a single thread, and in deleting a thread that you started, you'd also be effectively silencing a whole lot of other folks.

Imho, it's just better to make sure you wanna say what you say before you say it. icon_razz.gif

I'm not comfortable allowing users to delete threads or posts even if they own them. Right now, someone can edit their post and delete all the contents, but at least there's a record that a post was made even if the contents are gone.

On the other hand, I do think its good idea to allow topic starters the ability to close their topics if they feel the discussion is getting off topic or out of hand. I'll be editing the forum settings in the next day or two and will make this change.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

... On the other hand, I do think its good idea to allow topic starters the ability to close their topics if they feel the discussion is getting off topic or out of hand.

Or when somebody disagrees with their point of view. This has as much potential for abuse as the other scenarios you mentioned.

I think that ability should remain with the moderators, who presumably have an even hand.

quote:
Or when somebody disagrees with their point of view. This has as much potential for abuse as the other scenarios you mentioned.

Yeah - I was thinking that same thing... get a heated thread with many participants, then BAM - it gets shut down by the original poster.

This, of course, will only lead to the annoyed people starting their own threads, with similar topic - to continue their ranting, justified or not. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Yeah - I was thinking that same thing... get a heated thread with many participants, then BAM - it gets shut down by the original poster.

This, of course, will only lead to the annoyed people starting their own threads, with similar topic - to continue their ranting, justified or not. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

I guess I can never post again! RATS!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif (At least until we get an "Off-Topic Forum". MAN! I would RULE that!!)

--majicman

I would think that in the OFF-TOPIC area, all threads would start pre-closed for your convienence.

icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

I guess I can never post again! RATS!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif (At least until we get an "Off-Topic Forum". MAN! I would RULE that!!)

--majicman

I would think that in the OFF-TOPIC area, all threads would start pre-closed for your convienence.

icon_razz.gif

quote:

This has "bad idea" written all over it. I guess I just don't subscribe to the concept that just because someone starts a thread, that they somehow inherit the right to control that thread's content.

The only exception I see would be when no one has posted a reply yet.

PS_sig.gif

This morning, I noticed that we have now lost the ability to delete a message, even immediately after posting it. A dialogue box comes up stating that "a message can't be deleted once it has been responded to."

Okay, that sounds fair ... but no one had time to read, much less respond to the message I have in mind. In fact, a couple of hours later, it still has garnered no responses. Perhaps the controls have been set too tight.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

This morning, I noticed that we have now lost the ability to delete a message, even immediately after posting it

I wondered why there was so many "post deleted" messages all of a sudden....any response on this from Jeremy?

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

I wondered why there was so many "post deleted" messages all of a sudden....any response on this from Jeremy?

ApK

I had made the same statement more recently in another thread, and Elias answered that "it was a bug and he had fixed it," but no other explanation was offered.

I notice that we are still unable to delete our own posts, so I assume Elias fixed it so that the initiators of threads are no longer able to delete their threads. (Perhaps only if the thread contained responses?) I haven't tested this theory.