Beta update eTrex 20/30 v. 2.73

I'm out geocaching the other day along a trail, which leads me to the top of a hill, where I thought the cache should be. I look at the etrex30 and no cache. I am set at 300 ft range. I continue along the trail, which leads me down the other side of the hill. I get to the bottom and the etex now shows the cache, back at the top, along the track I took. I follow it back up the hill and it takes me right to it. I,m 68 and it made me climb that hill twice.

I'm out geocaching the other day along a trail, which leads me to the top of a hill, where I thought the cache should be. I look at the etrex30 and no cache. I am set at 300 ft range. I continue along the trail, which leads me down the other side of the hill. I get to the bottom and the etex now shows the cache, back at the top, along the track I took. I follow it back up the hill and it takes me right to it. I,m 68 and it made me climb that hill twice.

Were you doing a goto to the waypoint? Prior to version 2.71 I had complete stickies along the lines of 100 meters or more...

Were you doing a goto to the waypoint? Prior to version 2.71 I had complete stickies along the lines of 100 meters or more...

I haven't been doing gotos. I just head out on the trail and expect the geocaches to be there on the map with multiple caches. Maybe I'll have to list them on a sheet of paper in the order they will be in and do a goto for each one, one at a time. I'll try that and see if I have better luck.

Dave Etrex30, 2.73, 4gig microSD, running north-up, GPS sats with WAAS on

I haven't been doing gotos. I just head out on the trail and expect the geocaches to be there on the map with multiple caches. Maybe I'll have to list them on a sheet of paper in the order they will be in and do a goto for each one, one at a time. I'll try that and see if I have better luck.

No need for the paper. Find/Geocaches, "find nearest".

No need for the paper. Find/Geocaches, "find nearest".

And if your trying to run an efficient route "find nearest" will probably get you running in circles. With "find nearest" in an urban environment you frequently hear "Haven't we been through this intersection six times now?"

Must have been sticky problem or some other bug then...

Hi, I just updated my garmin etrex 20 to the 2.70 firmware, and noticed that since the version 2.6 this unit is able to load automatically photos of the caches or photos used as a hint, but only with opencaching.com (from garmin). Anybody knows if geocaching.com will enable this feature at the download of the caches to the GPS?

Hi, I just updated my garmin etrex 20 to the 2.70 firmware, and noticed that since the version 2.6 this unit is able to load automatically photos of the caches or photos used as a hint, but only with opencaching.com (from garmin). Anybody knows if geocaching.com will enable this feature at the download of the caches to the GPS?

You can do this with a macro available on GSAK. I use it and it works great.

Same firmware for two months now - I hope Garmin is working on rectifying the problems. The more serious startup problems should really be a no brainer to fix unless the source code is as orderly written as a heap of spaghetti; algorithm-involving, non specific problems with the compass et cetera I can buy takes more time....

Same firmware for two months now - I hope Garmin is working on rectifying the problems. The more serious startup problems should really be a no brainer to fix unless the source code is as orderly written as a heap of spaghetti; algorithm-involving, non specific problems with the compass et cetera I can buy takes more time....

Depends, might be one team that does the continuing engineering on all the models and they need to fix some other units first, or bring them up to date with what was learned on the etrex.

Need to thank you again for sending me the beta. Glad I didn't just wait for 2.80. It's a looooooong wait!

I'm really amazed at the number of bugs I'm seeing with the beta! It would be interesting to hear "why" fixing the sticky made such a mess.

But, very happy with the beta on the 20!!!! ( thank you garmin! ) Happy to have some minor bugs vs unusable . ( it is a beta after all )

Need to thank you again for sending me the beta. Glad I didn't just wait for 2.80. It's a looooooong wait!

I'm really amazed at the number of bugs I'm seeing with the beta! It would be interesting to hear "why" fixing the sticky made such a mess.

But, very happy with the beta on the 20!!!! ( thank you garmin! ) Happy to have some minor bugs vs unusable . ( it is a beta after all )

No problem... What they note in the errata is indeed, not the only things they do with the firmware. Prior to 2.71 the map rendering speed was highly unimpressive for instance, after that it got a good boost.

But I do think the latest firmware is the best - I certainly didn't see anything worsen with the upgrades myself... Most (all?) bugs that were there in 2.50 except the sticky problem are still there...