iPhone or GPS-need more details please

I can't seem to find any detailed answers to my question in mind. I have been geocaching for just a short while with my iPhone 4s and for the most part have had really good success. However I have also found quite often that the cache is not always close to where my phone says it should be. Or my phone will keep changing directions on me or change the distance left. Is a GPS the same as or very close to my iPhone or is it truly a lot more accurate? I would just hate to spend the money if I'm not really getting that much more value over the iPhone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I can't seem to find any detailed answers to my question in mind. I have been geocaching for just a short while with my iPhone 4s and for the most part have had really good success. However I have also found quite often that the cache is not always close to where my phone says it should be. Or my phone will keep changing directions on me or change the distance left. Is a GPS the same as or very close to my iPhone or is it truly a lot more accurate? I would just hate to spend the money if I'm not really getting that much more value over the iPhone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

A good handheld will be much more accurate than the iphone. Some folks will swear on how good the iphones are.

Well...I can honestly say...Once you've geocached with an iphone (I have iphone4) and have geocached with a good handheld...You'll see the difference. With the phones - you have to be patient and give it more time to 'settle' - and even then, it doesn't compare to a handheld.

I started with an iphone 4 and went to a Oregon 450.

Edited by Lieblweb

A good handheld will be much more accurate than the iphone. Some folks will swear on how good the iphones are.

Well...I can honestly say...Once you've geocached with an iphone (I have iphone4) and have geocached with a good handheld...You'll see the difference. With the phones - you have to be patient and give it more time to 'settle' - and even then, it doesn't compare to a handheld.

I started with an iphone 4 and went to a Oregon 450.

And yet, there are many who have expressed the complete opposite in these forums, switching from a handheld TO an iPhone. :)

Really, you have to compare models, not brand names. You also need to take into account your caching environment/region, and caching habits.

You'll always start debates when asking "smartphone or gps?" or "iphone or garmin?" type questions. ;)

I've cached exclusively with the iPhone since I began almost 3 years ago. I moved up from a 3GS to a 4S last October.

I'm sure that if I had a top end handheld, it would rival my experience with the 4S, but is that enough reason for me to switch? Not at all. The benefit I get form the 4S is more than sufficient for caching and other real life contexts. I've cached in a wide variety of environments (even used the 3GS in a desert) with no problems.

If you're looking for "faster" instead of just "fast", or "precision accuracy" instead of just "plenty accurate", or are simply less patient, then perhaps a GPSr is more apt for you. If you're just looking for a tool that provides a great caching experience, I personally highly recommend the 4S for geocaching as it's far more versatile (and perhaps one of the latest android devices, though I don't have experience in comparing their GPS capabilities). I do not recommend the 3G, and would advise against the 3GS now that 4 and 4S are more affordable and far superior.

Details matter :)

Also, I will always fully support dual device geocaching if you have the desire/funds for it. Get a 4S and and a mid- to high-end handheld. Then you're golden for sure.

Edited by thebruce0

Additionally...

I have been geocaching for just a short while with my iPhone 4s and for the most part have had really good success. However I have also found quite often that the cache is not always close to where my phone says it should be.

Could be any number of reasons - posted coordinates themselves aren't accurate, regional gps coverage isn't stellar, environmental hindrances, not enough time for the gps to settle, etc. I've seen caches with logs posted by a variety of people, and when they contain conflicting comments ranging from "coordinates are way off" to "coordinates were spot on", it gets harder to rate devices without first-hand live device comparisons at any specific waypoint location :P

Or my phone will keep changing directions on me or change the distance left.

First, your compass may just need to be re-calibrated.

More importantly, don't be afraid to use the map - the benefit to smartphones is that you can use it like a GPSr, only navigating by compass and direction, or you can visually see where the estimated center point of the current reading is. I find the former far more doubt inducing than the latter, which is vastly more indicative of GPS accuracy (if it depicts the accuracy bubble as well), presuming the map/satellite imagery in the region is accurate.

Ultimately, you have no control over whether the posted coordinates you're navigating to are accurate themselves or not - and no device in your hand can guarantee that.

My recommendation is to cache for a while longer, hone your "geosense", and use that when you get near the location indicated by your device - whether a smartphone or dedicated handheld. Your geosense can potentially aid your GPS accuracy with far more precision and speed than your device's reading ;)

Edited by thebruce0

Also, I will always fully support dual device geocaching if you have the desire/funds for it. Get a 4S and and a mid- to high-end handheld. Then you're golden for sure.

Yes. This. I love the combo of my 60CSx and iphone 4s.

But if I had to choose one, it would be the iphone. Hands down. I still use it the majority of the time.

BTW, My Garmin does the same thing...change direction abruptly, is indecisive about where I am or where I should go.. that's just the way it is. The thing is, once you get to GZ, turn the iphone off, put the garmin back in the pocket, and use the force, Luke. Just search.

Wow, thanks so much for all the advice. Some excellent points. I agree with the geosense comment and have started to feel that "force"! I guess I was just a little frustrated the other day when I simply could not find that cache and my iPhone 4s was bouncing back and forth between 2 or 3 areas. But I did find some more caches later in the day that were a ton of fun. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best experience because this is just too fun. I love the different locations that I would never go to otherwise. Maybe one day I will feel rich enough to add a GPS to my kit with an iPhone.

Wow, thanks so much for all the advice. Some excellent points. I agree with the geosense comment and have started to feel that "force"! I guess I was just a little frustrated the other day when I simply could not find that cache and my iPhone 4s was bouncing back and forth between 2 or 3 areas. But I did find some more caches later in the day that were a ton of fun. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best experience because this is just too fun. I love the different locations that I would never go to otherwise. Maybe one day I will feel rich enough to add a GPS to my kit with an iPhone.

Any GPS you get could suffer from some of the same problems. They bounce around too! In town with a good signal, an iphone 4 is just fine most of the time. You also have a decent map you can use. The GPS is going to be a learning curve for you. Some things better, some things not so much!

Shaun