Hundreds of logs in one day?

Hi all....

Still a newbie..although been on GC for a while, haven't been doing a lot. But I finally upgraded today to premium - yay! So I had better get my money's worth by finding more caches!

My question is: how does one get hundreds of finds in one day? I have seen a few people as of late have anywhere from 300 to 900 finds in one day. How is that even possible? Is it because they are part of a team and they split up areas/finds? My thinking was that kind of defeats the purpose of geocaching - only trying to inflate one's numbers to look like they have a lot of finds, when in reality, they did not find it themselves. Just curious what you all thought.

Sorry if this is in an earlier thread...scrolled back a few pages and didn't see anything, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Edited by twilitefirefly

My question is: how does one get hundreds of finds in one day? I have seen a few people as of late have anywhere from 300 to 900 finds in one day. How is that even possible?

"Power Trails" - basically a road or route with a cache every 0.1 mile - there's one that used to be near Las Vegas that had over 1000 caches and teams of folks would do a 24-hour cache-a-thon to get them all. There are a bunch of them, look the term up on the forums.

one more funny or crasy way to play this game,

if you like this kind of game, go for it :-)

if you dont, it is also perfectly allright,

no matter what, let those who like it, do it and have fun.

I just think it is cool there is so MANY MANY things to it,

no matter if you play this for many years, there wil always be new/other things you can try to achive

so it will keep beeing funny to YOU

My question is: how does one get hundreds of finds in one day? I have seen a few people as of late have anywhere from 300 to 900 finds in one day. How is that even possible?

"Power Trails" - basically a road or route with a cache every 0.1 mile - there's one that used to be near Las Vegas that had over 1000 caches and teams of folks would do a 24-hour cache-a-thon to get them all. There are a bunch of them, look the term up on the forums.

Probably true for the 300-900 range, but I have a friend that routinely gets 200 or more a day simply with hard work and careful planning.

Probably true for the 300-900 range, but I have a friend that routinely gets 200 or more a day simply with hard work and careful planning.

Yup. I have a good friend who is a caching machine. He'll go out and find 200-300 just plain old caches in a day with little difficulty with just some careful target selection and route planning before he heads out. Give him a power trail (or several in close proximity to one another) and he's in the 900-1500 range, depending on the trail(s) he hits. Caching with him is quite an experience!

When we go out, with some careful planning a Nuvi 500 for the car, and a Garmin GPSmap 62stc, and a list of caches to hit in order and a "Target rich" environment we usually get between 80 -100 in a day. That is leaving at about 6:30am and getting back around 5:30pm which still leaves time in the evening to spend with my family. I believe last Saturday my buddy and I got 87.

Very Easily done, just plan it out

Scubasonic

My question is: how does one get hundreds of finds in one day?

My question is: why would you want to?

If you bagged 500 film cans in a single outing, how many will you remember a week from now, or a year from now? I've been on cache runs with friends, and the time spent with them was fun, but the caches themselves passed from memory about the time I popped the lid off the next soggy log film can. I've found that since I stopped caching for the numbers, and started caching for the experiences, my hobby has become a lot more fun. B)

If you bagged 500 film cans in a single outing, how many will you remember a week from now, or a year from now? I've been on cache runs with friends, and the time spent with them was fun, but the caches themselves passed from memory about the time I popped the lid off the next soggy log film can. I've found that since I stopped caching for the numbers, and started caching for the experiences, my hobby has become a lot more fun. B)

See, that is the problem with caching in Florida. All the film cans have wet soggy logs. Now in the desert, where the annual rain fall is the equivalent heavy dew in Florida your not bothered with wet logs. :)

See, that is the problem with caching in Florida. All the film cans have wet soggy logs. Now in the desert, where the annual rain fall is the equivalent heavy dew in Florida your not bothered with wet logs. :)

Yeah, the high temperatures, high humidity, trace amounts of salt and heavy metals in the air, and scads of rodents who seemingly love nibbling on plastic, all add up to make this a rough environment for cache contents. :blink:

I would want to do it simply for the experience of doing it. I certainly would NOT want to do it day in and day out for weeks or months in a row, but (if I were in a group of good friends) I would love to do the E.T. trail. Yes, I won't remember the individual finds but I WILL remember the good times I had with my buddies.

Yeah, the high temperatures, high humidity, trace amounts of salt and heavy metals in the air, and scads of rodents who seemingly love nibbling on plastic, all add up to make this a rough environment for cache contents. :blink:

Hey, have you ever tasted that plastic? It tastes pretty good! :P

Chose the container for the setting. Water tight ammo cans are great, but too bulky for that LPC or Palmetto hide, but do look beyond film cans when you go to hide.

I've nearly reached the 100 finds in a day, once, but it was a serious bother entering all the logs. You must make a conscience decision when you go for the Big Find Days - are you comfortable with cut-n-paste/rubber-stamping logs? I really don't, I like to write something, but power trails are about the only genuine realm for 'TFTC'-only log entries, because nobody is reading E.T. 1178, are they?

The game is all about what you make of it. I've not been a member for a year yet (6-22-11) and I'm content with my 37 finds. I prefer to enjoy the scenery, or the challenge (my best is a 4/4) or the camaraderie now that I have a small group I go with occasionally. I enjoy the planning, and don't see the fun in driving through the desert looking for cloned caches just to rack up 500+ finds. I don't see it, but I'm game to try it. If I do, and come out the other end going "WTF did I just do?" or "HOLY s*&^ that was a blast" I'll take it. lol. Personally, I'd rather HIDE a power trail, and make it tough. Tougher than "They are normally a film can beside a bush under three to four rocks" anyway. I'm a geek so I can say this...this game IS what happens when nerds go outside to play, as mentioned in another thread. lol. GO out side, GO search, GO learn something, GO find something. WHo cares about the numbers. After all as a fairly new cacher, I have zero chance of catching anyone in a race to the top....so I enjoy the walk.

The friend I mentioned earlier planned out and took me on my first "power run". Of course, for him it was hardly that! We started at about 6:30 am, went until about 10 pm, and walked away with 177 finds. Most were pretty generic, but there were a few memorable ones in there. These were mainly a few individual caches between sets of series we did. But the main thing about it was having a heckuva good time with a good friend, a couple of "situations" we got ourselves into (as usual), and seeing all the stuff we saw. In that one run we started off seeing a bobcat, and afterwards we saw the usual cattle, horses, donkeys, sheep, and goats. We also saw llama, alpaca, a couple of snakes, an ostrich or 2, and a vast variety of birds from cardinals to hawks to vultures.

To quote on of America's great philosophers:

"It was a good day, Tater!" :laughing:

I had no idea about power trails. Guess that could be fun. I prefer (so far!) to just pick mine in a certain area. Of course, I am so new, I am still trying to develop my GC eyes and senses. Maybe doing a power run or trail would help me develop these quicker!

But what about those who are not on a power trail and still log over 400 in a day? I have heard that there are teams out there that will split up caches / areas and sign in their partners on a log when they aren't even there, just for the sake of having more finds. Doesn't that seem a bit, well, unethical? Shouldn't one have to physically be there and sign the log? Does this bother anyone else or do you all feel 'to each his own' in how geocaching is done?

I had no idea about power trails. Guess that could be fun. I prefer (so far!) to just pick mine in a certain area. Of course, I am so new, I am still trying to develop my GC eyes and senses. Maybe doing a power run or trail would help me develop these quicker!

I doubt that finding 400 basically identical caches would help you develop your geosense all that much.

But what about those who are not on a power trail and still log over 400 in a day? I have heard that there are teams out there that will split up caches / areas and sign in their partners on a log when they aren't even there, just for the sake of having more finds. Doesn't that seem a bit, well, unethical? Shouldn't one have to physically be there and sign the log? Does this bother anyone else or do you all feel 'to each his own' in how geocaching is done?

Yeah I think teams splitting up simply to pump numbers is a bit cheesy, but it doesn't affect me at all so it doesn't bother me a bit.

The game is all about what you make of it. I've not been a member for a year yet (6-22-11) and I'm content with my 37 finds. I prefer to enjoy the scenery, or the challenge (my best is a 4/4) or the camaraderie now that I have a small group I go with occasionally. I enjoy the planning, and don't see the fun in driving through the desert looking for cloned caches just to rack up 500+ finds. I don't see it, but I'm game to try it. If I do, and come out the other end going "WTF did I just do?" or "HOLY s*&^ that was a blast" I'll take it. lol. Personally, I'd rather HIDE a power trail, and make it tough. Tougher than "They are normally a film can beside a bush under three to four rocks" anyway. I'm a geek so I can say this...this game IS what happens when nerds go outside to play, as mentioned in another thread. lol. GO out side, GO search, GO learn something, GO find something. WHo cares about the numbers. After all as a fairly new cacher, I have zero chance of catching anyone in a race to the top....so I enjoy the walk.

You may wish to at least look at this cache and its brethren. Powertrail? Of a sort.

You may wish to at least look at this cache and its brethren. Powertrail? Of a sort.

70 finds out of 70 attempts, and it is a 5 difficulty ("Quick find. TFTC")?

But what about those who are not on a power trail and still log over 400 in a day?
Before the development of modern numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail, teams were finding 400+ caches in a 24-hour day. It takes a lot of stamina, and it takes a lot of advance planning, but it's possible.

I have heard that there are teams out there that will split up caches / areas and sign in their partners on a log when they aren't even there, just for the sake of having more finds. Doesn't that seem a bit, well, unethical?
Sure, but leapfrogging and similar techniques aren't really anything new. They're just a variation of armchair logging.

Shouldn't one have to physically be there and sign the log?
Well, "physically be there", sure.

But on group geocaching trips, I've had others sign the log for me. I've also been part of groups where we signed a single team name rather than filling the log by signing all the individual names. I don't see a problem with that in normal geocaching trips, and I don't see a problem with that on numbers runs either.

70 finds out of 70 attempts, and it is a 5 difficulty ("Quick find. TFTC")?

Remember this cache the next time you are ripping your hair out over a 2D you just .. can't .. FIND!!

I'm sure there are some far trickier hides along that trail. I went on a small trail, somewhere in the past, where the average was 3D .. quite a vexing afternoon, but certainly not dull!

A cache rated 5 stars for difficulty with 71 finds and no DNFs?

I've nearly reached the 100 finds in a day...

A buddy and I decided a while back to do a conventional power trail. It was comprised of 36 caches, strung along a fairly dismal stretch of road. Each hide was identical to the one before. We selected it as a goal based on a rumor we had heard, stating that this power trail was the proverbial camel back buster, leading Groundspeak to put their foot down, and enforcing the "Don't hide a cache every 600' just because you can" guideline. Since we both love that guideline, we figured we owed it to pay homage to the power trail which gave it teeth.

Naturally, this occurred some time ago, before Groundspeak flipped its position, going back to encouraging their Reviewers to ignore this section of guideline. <_<

I gotta say, it was a miserable experience. I was ready to quit at about # 3. The only thing that allowed me to push on was the company. I would not suffer such monotony again.

But that bias should not be taken as a rant against them, or a call to banish them. There are folks who love this kind of caching, and I would not want to hinder them having fun, whatever course that fun takes.

Or this series. While it's small, in comparison to other power trails, only having about 60 caches, all around 2/10th of a mile apart, the fastest time from start to finish that I've seen so far is 3 days. :blink:

Hi all....

Still a newbie..although been on GC for a while, haven't been doing a lot. But I finally upgraded today to premium - yay! So I had better get my money's worth by finding more caches!

My question is: how does one get hundreds of finds in one day? I have seen a few people as of late have anywhere from 300 to 900 finds in one day. How is that even possible? Is it because they are part of a team and they split up areas/finds? My thinking was that kind of defeats the purpose of geocaching - only trying to inflate one's numbers to look like they have a lot of finds, when in reality, they did not find it themselves. Just curious what you all thought.

Sorry if this is in an earlier thread...scrolled back a few pages and didn't see anything, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

load up a bag with 900 film cans, with everyone in your group presigned. take a film can, drop it and take the other cache[if you can't find it within 30 secs, throwdown the film can and call it a find] lather rinse repeat 900 times :ph34r:

Depends on the time of year. Wenatchee has an average precipitation of 9 inches (not including snowfall), and in the spring, cache contents can get pretty nasty from the rains. I think the problem with the desert is that it doesn't rain very much, but when it rains, it rains.

Power trails aren't my cup of tea at all, but to each their own. I'd drive 100 miles to do one really awesome cache before I'd walk a block to start a power trail in my own neighborhood. Whenever I see a long string of evenly spaced traditional cache icons on the map, I just keep surfing without even looking at a single cache page. I sure I'm not the only one who chooses to ignore power trails, and that's where my one and only beef with them comes into play.

Because power trails take up a pretty good chunk of real estate, they often monopolize entire trail systems, effectively blocking all other caches placements that would appeal to non power trail cachers. I can think of more than a few really interesting spots that are perfect hides for fun caches but can't be used because they are too close to a poorly hidden pill bottle 5' from the trail.

Worse than just blocking better placements, when a new power trail gets set up in an area that already has a few caches, the trail can unintentionally cast the other caches into oblivion. Cachers who don't care about power trails aren't gonna dig through 100 cache pages one at a time to see if a "real" cache is hidden amongst the PT, and cachers who are there specifically for the PT aren't gonna be bothered with a cache that isn't part of the PT if it takes more than a few seconds to find.

Power trails aren't my cup of tea at all, but to each their own. I'd drive 100 miles to do one really awesome cache before I'd walk a block to start a power trail in my own neighborhood. Whenever I see a long string of evenly spaced traditional cache icons on the map, I just keep surfing without even looking at a single cache page. I sure I'm not the only one who chooses to ignore power trails, and that's where my one and only beef with them comes into play.

Because power trails take up a pretty good chunk of real estate, they often monopolize entire trail systems, effectively blocking all other caches placements that would appeal to non power trail cachers. I can think of more than a few really interesting spots that are perfect hides for fun caches but can't be used because they are too close to a poorly hidden pill bottle 5' from the trail.

Worse than just blocking better placements, when a new power trail gets set up in an area that already has a few caches, the trail can unintentionally cast the other caches into oblivion. Cachers who don't care about power trails aren't gonna dig through 100 cache pages one at a time to see if a "real" cache is hidden amongst the PT, and cachers who are there specifically for the PT aren't gonna be bothered with a cache that isn't part of the PT if it takes more than a few seconds to find.

OK,

I have sat on the sidelines watching this play out and it has been hashed and re-hashed many many times. I have a different take on the discussion.

I admit to being ticked off over "real caches". The comment, to me, speaks to a certain shallowness and closed mindedness.

There is, however, an element of truth in non trail caches "buried" within a power trail.

What gets my goat are cachers who assign a cut and paste log to non trail caches along a trail.

Along the ET Trail are two memorial caches:

One to an executed Police Officer, he rolled and was the first on the scene, the bad guy wounded him then stood over him and executed him.

The second memorial cache is dedicated to a geocacher and geologist who passed away along the highway; MVA vs livestock.

Because these caches are "buried" along the trail they do dot get logs befitting their uniqueness. A large percentage of their logs are cut / paste logs intended for the ET Trail caches. AND THAT REALLY CHIPS MY CONCRETE.

In conclusion: Yes, caches get "buried" when power trails appear.

To imply that P.T. Caches are not real is an inappropriate characterization.

Edited by humboldt flier

Depends on the time of year. Wenatchee has an average precipitation of 9 inches (not including snowfall), and in the spring, cache contents can get pretty nasty from the rains. I think the problem with the desert is that it doesn't rain very much, but when it rains, it rains.

the start of the 66 series Newberry Springs Average Annual Precipitation 4.17 inches.

And yes I did it on 2 different days

Edited by vagabond
I admit to being ticked off over "real caches". The comment, to me, speaks to a certain shallowness and closed mindedness.
Would the phrase "non-fungible caches" be more acceptable? We could distinguish between fungible caches (on numbers run trails where swap-and-drop logging and throw-downs are encouraged) and non-fungible caches (everywhere else, where you're supposed to return the geocache to its original location).

I found 70 or 71 or 72 or something in a day once. It was with a big group. It was January 2nd, maybe, so we could have been out a lot longer if it had of been in June with more light.

It was a lot of fun. Really a blast.

I doubt I'll ever do it again though. I'm really glad I did that once. Now I'm happy with a few caches a day.

Now and then I still like to do number runs, and find maybe 30 in a day, but that is plenty for me. I really don't like city caching as much, but I do it now and then, and get bored of it, and go back out in the woods where I belong.

I found four today. That's all I needed.