Searching for virtuals ...

The Stirleys

Is there a way to do it ? only I can't see how ..

I recently came across 'meridian markers' almost by accident as it was set by a local cacher whose profile I happened to look at. I'd like to find any others which are similar and could be within reach of me.

Thanks, Simon.

Simon, your forum post does not give your location, but in in the US you can use the new cache maps to view virtuals around you. You can also click on "advanced search" from the site's home page and select "virtual" in the drop down to list only virtuals, or you can select "all geocaches" and manually pick out the virts from the list. You might also try a keyword search using "meridian".

Perhaps others have additional tricks you could employ.

Good luck!

erik - geocaching.com admin

There are Virtuals and Locationless. They are difference. Virtuals are actual spots you need to go to. Locationless aren't specific lat/long coords.

To see Virtuals in your area, find any virtual and then scroll down and click the link that says:

Find...

...nearby caches of this type

And that should return other virtuals in your area.

If you're looking for Locationless caches, try:

Locationless Caches

In this context, I'd like to know:

Some virtual caches state that they can be logged after a question about the location is answered, and the answer is confirmed as correct by the hider.

What if I know the answer without visiting the place, mail it, and get confirmation, does it count as an ethical find?

For regular caches, I consider the physical find of the box and the signing of the log as the criterion, but that is irrelevant for virtual caches.

What if I have been at that location in the past, or even more than once, or drive by there every day?

But also: what about the idea of figuring out the answer to the question without ever visiting the place, via maps, web searches, phone calls, etc.? This is, in a way, a much greater challenge than a physical cheat-visit to the place, and it allows caching in places where one would never physically get to.