Three Peaks Challenge!

Hey all,

Two of my friends and myself are planning to do the three peaks challenge in June/July time (date hasn't been confirmed). As my two friends are Geocaching muggles, they wont be interested in doing any caches although I will be doing the earth/victuals at the of the 'hills' shall we say. I was just curious to know if anyone had done the three peak challenge, any interesting stories, ect we've planed quite well, have a designated driver who isn't walking ect, just wanted to know if anyone has done it yet.

Also, I was considering doing it for charity, any charity people? out there who could give me some advice on awareness ect, I did hear about a website which could be set up that allows people to add donations by Paypal ect.

I thought i'd just start up the discussion anyway :) fire away!

Hey all,

Two of my friends and myself are planning to do the three peaks challenge in June/July time (date hasn't been confirmed). As my two friends are Geocaching muggles, they wont be interested in doing any caches although I will be doing the earth/victuals at the of the 'hills' shall we say. I was just curious to know if anyone had done the three peak challenge, any interesting stories, ect we've planed quite well, have a designated driver who isn't walking ect, just wanted to know if anyone has done it yet.

Also, I was considering doing it for charity, any charity people? out there who could give me some advice on awareness ect, I did hear about a website which could be set up that allows people to add donations by Paypal ect.

Are you doing it as the 3 Yorkshire peaks or sprinting around the the 3 mainland peaks?

Hey all,

Are you doing it as the 3 Yorkshire peaks or sprinting around the the 3 mainland peaks?

sorry should have made that clear :) Doing the 3 big ones, Scafell Pike, Snowdon and Ben Nevis! :)

I'd advise doing the physical caches as well or you might end up regretting it (take some TBs to drop off as well ;) )

I have nothing against Virtuals but there's nothing quite like opening a cache at the end of a tough walk, signing the logbook and seeing the names of all those who have done the same.

The physical Snowdon cache can be tricky because it's right in the Muggle zone

Scafell Pike is pretty easy as it's a short way off the track

Ben Nevis is one of my favourite caches ever! It's such a surreal place... B)

Mark

I'd advise doing the physical caches as well or you might end up regretting it (take some TBs to drop off as well ;) )

I have nothing against Virtuals but there's nothing quite like opening a cache at the end of a tough walk, signing the logbook and seeing the names of all those who have done the same.

The physical Snowdon cache can be tricky because it's right in the Muggle zone

Scafell Pike is pretty easy as it's a short way off the track

Ben Nevis is one of my favourite caches ever! It's such a surreal place... B)

Mark

I wanted to, but it's all down to how much time i have when i'm up there as we have to do all 3 peaks in 24 hours, so if we had a good trip up the mountain, I may give myself some time to look for the physically! Hopefully i will have enough time :D

After walking up Snowdon and getting the bug for hill walking we plan on doing the 3 peaks...just not it 24 hours!!

as said the one on Snowdon must get busy, it was bad enough last month before the railway opened! But there is always the virtual :)

I have some experience, having set cache events on the three hills in 2009. I even had a Three Peaks Bonus cache at the foot of Ben Nevis (Snowdon and Scafell Pike versions were planned too, but never materialised) for a while, findable with information placed in the highest caches of England, Scotland and Wales with the cache owners' permission.

I did a 24-hour version of the 3PC, with enough time for caching built-in. The clock started as we left the Trig at the top of Ben Nevis (the physical up there is also one of my all-time favourite caches) and stopped, 23 hours and 39 minutes later, as we (my brother, on the last day of his 30s, his mate and I) reached the top of Snowdon and placed a hand on the Trig. I drove and did the trip on an hours sleep; not ideal, but we completed the adventure safely and was able to visit the physical caches on each mountain (I'd done the two virtuals before).

The 3am meet on top of Scafell Pike was pretty memorable, as a couple of women were thought to be lost on the hill so we saw a lot of mountain rescue activity; dogs, helicopters, the full works. The women turned up at their camp site safely in the morning. Wasdale Head locals are touchy about 3PCers but we did it (quietly, and not in huge numbers - there were 6 of us for this meet) on a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (leaving parking about 11.30pm, returning around 6am) to cause minimal disruption. From memory we left the top of Ben Nevis around 2pm and left the Snowdon car park (one of the harder bits of the trip to manage, as it fills up early - we got lucky and only needed to wait 10mins or so) around 11.30am for a 2-ish hour climb on quite-tired legs. I raised £500 for the British Heart Foundation, which was nice :)

I suggest, for the full 'Bottom to Bottom' version of the 3PC in 24 hours, you should have a dedicated, non-climbing driver, and you won't have time to cache - perhaps a virtual or EarthCache if it only needs a photo - but the Top to Top version takes some - not all! - the pressure off. If you're doing the Sea to Sea version, forget caching and get to the gym!

By the way, it's ok to link to a JustGiving or VirginMoneyGiving (unlike JustGiving, a not-for-profit site) from your profile or a TB/Coin listing, but not cache pages or logs. Hope that helps, and good luck!

We are planning to start from the bottom, go up, come down, repeat three times 3PC! I was hoping maybe... and i mean hoping, that i may be able to do some caching, but likt you said (simply paul) it's probably not possible and the time would be spent better walking than caching.

I do intend to do a cache in every county we drive through from Essex to Ben Nevis, and from Snowdon, back home (so the trip up there and return journey)! That will slightly improve my stats on the 'countys i've cached in' map!

As for designated driver, we have the trusty father for that, i'll be nice and let him nap while we're walking ;)

Hey all,

Sorry but my comment may be rather controversial.

I would advise against doing the 3 peaks challenge unless you think very carefully about your intentions for 4 reasons

1] Depending on what order you carry out the walks you are almost certainly going to be disrupting the local community with an early start.

Particularly so if you start from Seathwaite to start the Scafel walk.

Farmers and the local community hate the thousands of walkers who arrive in minibuses, coaches or cars at around 3 in the morning.

They tend to make a lot of noise disrupting stock,dogs and people [some are farmers who may like an extra couple of hours sleep]. They also drop litter and defacate around the parking areas prior to their start.

2]The footpath erosion is immense and costs a fortune in money and man hours to put right

4] Speeding traffic [assuming you are going for the 24 hr challenge] is not only dangerous but of course polluting and environmentally

unfriendly.

4] Unless you are experienced, please be aware of the extra pressure being brought onto the mountain rescue service who every year have to rescue inexperienced and unfit individuals who are just not up to the challenge.

4]There have to be nicer mountains around to climb in Scotland, Wales and the Lakes which will offer just as much of a challenge, if you were to use some imagination you could even find a mountain to climb in solitude instead of with thousands of other bumblers who tend to grace the slopes - particularly in the Summer months !

I should know - I did the 3 peaks some 15 years ago and also the Pennine way and other long distance footpaths and deeply regret doing so in retrospect.

Good luck to you any way and I do hope that you are able to raise some money for a good cause.

Edited by Cache U Nutter
Sorry but my comment may be rather controversial.
Excellent! We've not had a good row on these forums for hours/days/minutes (delete as applicable).
I would advise against doing the 3 peaks challenge unless you think very carefully about your intentions for 5 reasons

1] Depending on what order you carry out the walks you are almost certainly going to be disrupting the local community with an early start.

Particularly so if you start from Seathwaite to start the Scafel walk.

Farmers and the local community hate the thousands of walkers who arrive in minibuses, coaches or cars at around 3 in the morning.

They tend to make a lot of noise disrupting stock,dogs and people [some are farmers who may like an extra couple of hours sleep]. They also drop litter and defacate around the parking areas prior to their start.

This is a problem, but as with my timings above (which could be adjusted to place them on Scafell Pike at the same time, even with a 'full' Bottom-to-Bottom 3PC) it's possible to avoid peak weekend days (no pun intended) and anti-social hours. It's also possible to use loos when stopping for fuel and 'not drop litter'. Just because some climbers are noisy and unhygienic, it doesn't follow every 3PCer is.
2]The footpath erosion is immense and costs a fortune in money and man hours to put right
I'm sure the OP pays his taxes like everyone else... The footpath erosion is not all that heavy given the numbers of people using them. Some of my local roads aren't as well surfaced as the Miners' Track ;)
3] Speeding traffic [assuming you are going for the 24 hr challenge] is not only dangerous but of course polluting and environmentally

unfriendly.

You don't need to speed to do the 3PC, especially if you've a dedicated driver (eg, the OP's dad). Anything you can do with a car, from buying to using it to weighing it in for scrap is environmentally unfriendly. Maybe the OP will plant a tree to offset some carbon?
4] Unless you are experienced, please be aware of the extra pressure being brought onto the mountain rescue service who every year have to rescue inexperienced and unfit individuals who are just not up to the challenge.
The OP lists keeping fit as an interest but you're right, it would be good to have some experience on the mountains. The only one which was tricky for me was Scafell Pike, as I'd only been up it in daylight before. But with mapping and GPS, it should be pretty hard to get lost (carry a back-up map, in case of tech trouble though) and some research online ahead of the climbs will get you a set of waypoints to input and follow. A donation to the local Mountain Rescue folks is also good karma, if I'm allowed to suggest that.
5]There have to be nicer mountains around to climb in Scotland, Wales and the Lakes which will offer just as much of a challenge, if you were to use some imagination you could even find a mountain to climb in solitude instead of with thousands of other bumblers who tend to grace the slopes - particularly in the Summer months !

I should know - I did the 3 peaks some 15 years ago and also the Pennine way and other long distance footpaths and deeply regret doing so in retrospect.

Good luck to you any way and I do hope that you are able to raise some money for a good cause.

There are many other challenges - even other three peak challenges - but if you want to stand at the top of England, Wales and Scotland inside 24 hours (or whenever!) there are only three places to do that. Talk of 'bumblers gracing the slopes' sounds a bit snobby to me. The fact the OP has asked for suggestions and information suggests he's wanting to do the climbs safely and responsibly. Certainly to say 'other' bumblers paints him with the same brush as- yes, the sort of (rare) reckless individuals who tackle a big, difficult, challenging adventure like this with no more care or preparation than it takes to select which pair of flip-flops to do attempt it in.

I've done the Three Peaks challenge twice. Once when I had started caching but wasn't "hooked", the second was just a few years ago, and I'm well and truly hooked now.

The last time we did it we had absolutely no spare time whatsoever to consider looking for any of the physical caches either on the way, or at the summits. I did manage to get the info for the Ben Nevis Earthcache, and the Virtual at Scafell Pike summit is easy enough. The rest of the time we were 100% focussed on not wasting any time at all. Imagine how you and your friends would feel if you did the challenge in 24 hours and 10 minutes, and you'd spent 15 minutes in total looking for a few caches?

We didn't have a driver the last time we did it, and the only problem was having to use the Park & Ride at Snowdon because Pen y Pas car park was full, which added about an extra hour to our time. We did base to summit in 20 hours 50 minutes, and base to base in 23 hours 25 minutes. It rained the entire time from half way up Ben Nevis to when we got back down to the bottom of Snowdon at the end. Soaked through (even with expensive Goretex gear - water blows in through the holes and creeps down your clothes) we were relieved to finish it.

We've thought of doing the second highest peaks challenge one year, which I think is even more challenging, but do-able.

Good luck!

I've done the Three Peaks challenge twice. Once when I had started caching but wasn't "hooked", the second was just a few years ago, and I'm well and truly hooked now.

The last time we did it we had absolutely no spare time whatsoever to consider looking for any of the physical caches either on the way, or at the summits. I did manage to get the info for the Ben Nevis Earthcache, and the Virtual at Scafell Pike summit is easy enough. The rest of the time we were 100% focussed on not wasting any time at all. Imagine how you and your friends would feel if you did the challenge in 24 hours and 10 minutes, and you'd spent 15 minutes in total looking for a few caches?

We didn't have a driver the last time we did it, and the only problem was having to use the Park & Ride at Snowdon because Pen y Pas car park was full, which added about an extra hour to our time. We did base to summit in 20 hours 50 minutes, and base to base in 23 hours 25 minutes. It rained the entire time from half way up Ben Nevis to when we got back down to the bottom of Snowdon at the end. Soaked through (even with expensive Goretex gear - water blows in through the holes and creeps down your clothes) we were relieved to finish it.

We've thought of doing the second highest peaks challenge one year, which I think is even more challenging, but do-able.

Good luck!

I can see your point, would be very disappointing to do it in 24 hours and 30 minutes lets say, and all because I wanted to look for two or three Geocaches. I will print off the earths/virtuals at the summits (I've done snowdon already so that will save us some time) so I have what i need to do at the summits written on paper. I will also take my gps with all three summit caches on it, so when i start walking, i can set my route to the summit and see ETA walking speed ect.

Yes when we did Snowdon last August, the car park was full and we were told at 10pm that the earliest we could get the train was 4pm, shows how busy everywhere was, so having a designated driver means he could drop us off at the point of the walk and drive and find somewhere to park, then pick us up when we're ready.

We have just been discussing clothes ect, we will probably take 2-3 sets of walking clothes each (incase it's raining) and towels so if we are wet when we finish one mountain, we can changeon the journey to the next one ect!

No one wants to comment on my comments other than Simply Paul ?

Many of Pauls comments are valid.

I do however request that parties plan their trip very carefully to avoid some of the problems I mentioned.

When I did it [i think in 1997] it was for charity and was organized by one of my colleagues from Manchester.

Unfortunately his planning left something to be desired and we only just made it in the 24 hours [myself with 20 minutes to spare]

The leader had some bowel problems owing to the crap that he was eating and I remember 2 hours before Pen Y Pass driving around in circles trying to find a toilet for him. I think we weasted about an hour

He also wanted us to go up the route from Bedgelert rather than Penypass as he thought parking may be a problem [even though we had our own driver] before we pursuaded him that the PYG track was the quickest way up. Needless to say he did not make it.

I only made it by running all the way down to the astonishment of the crowds of people.

I had managed to wangle a stay in a first class hotel when we finished c/o the company and a merry time was had by allthat evening even though we had had no sleep for hours.

OK I'll bite ;)

I fail to see the attraction. For a healthy fit adult this is no real physical challenge. It's just a peak bagging excercise which leaves you with little time to experience or contribute anything to the communities that surround the peaks.

Yes, I'd love to but would only get shot down as an antagonistic local. I would however like to challenge Simply Paul's "I'm sure the OP pays his taxes like everyone else.." in response to your footpath repair comment.

Edited by MBFace
Yes, I'd love to but would only get shot down as an antagonistic local. I would however like to challenge Simply Paul's "I'm sure the OP pays his taxes like everyone else.." in response to your footpath repair comment.
I have genuine sympathy for locals who do suffer from the sort of antisocial walkers Cache U Nutter describes. My point was simply that it's possible to minimise the disturbance by picking your day and picking your time and not coming by coach and not pooping in a bush, etc. I imagine the OP does pay taxes (there aren't many it's easy to avoid, unless you're Vodaphone) so perhaps you're saying the works done to protect the hills aren't funded from the public purse? In Snowdon's case, I believe the National Trust own the mountain so perhaps the work there is paid for by their members. Either way, the argument about putting in solid stone paths, which will stand the levels of use they'd be put to and their impact on a wild landscape is a contentious one and not an argument I'm keen to get into :)

uktim, it's known as the Three Peak's Challenge because, even for a fit and healthy adult, finishing it under 24 hours is far from a forgone conclusion. Car trouble, traffic hold-ups, blisters, twisted ankles, lack of sleep, poor hydration, bad weather - there are many ways it can go wrong and leave it either unfinished or finished outside of the target time. Even if it all goes well, it's still around two vertical miles climbed up, two climbed down and about eighteen covered on the ground, depending on which routes are taken. It's not to be undertaken lightly and while it's not something you feel like doing, it does bring money into the areas. Mostly Ben Nevis/Fort William and Snowdonia as people are their the day before and after the attempt. Scafell Pike draws the short straw there, by being the one in the middle. Perhaps you don't have time to drink in the majesty of the hills in the same way a gentle fellwalker might, but you certainly come away with rich memories of the experience.

uktim, it's known as the Three Peak's Challenge because, even for a fit and healthy adult, finishing it under 24 hours is far from a forgone conclusion. Car trouble, traffic hold-ups, blisters, twisted ankles, lack of sleep, poor hydration, bad weather - there are many ways it can go wrong and leave it either unfinished or finished outside of the target time. Even if it all goes well, it's still around two vertical miles climbed up, two climbed down and about eighteen covered on the ground, depending on which routes are taken. It's not to be undertaken lightly and while it's not something you feel like doing, it does bring money into the areas. Mostly Ben Nevis/Fort William and Snowdonia as people are their the day before and after the attempt. Scafell Pike draws the short straw there, by being the one in the middle. Perhaps you don't have time to drink in the majesty of the hills in the same way a gentle fellwalker might, but you certainly come away with rich memories of the experience.

Apart from the car and transport issues there is nothing there that you can't do in one hit in a single area. I would view the same mileage and ascent in a single push as a far greater challenge, cut the driving out and you could target a far worthier and more physically demanding 24 hour challenge. As a personal challenge anyone is welcome to do it, but it's not worthy of the respect that many expect for it IMHO.

Apart from the car and transport issues there is nothing there that you can't do in one hit in a single area. I would view the same mileage and ascent in a single push as a far greater challenge, cut the driving out and you could target a far worthier and more physically demanding 24 hour challenge. As a personal challenge anyone is welcome to do it, but it's not worthy of the respect that many expect for it IMHO.

Over the years I've (silently) disagreed with many of uktim's posts but I'm with him all the way here. What's the point of a walking challenge which depends to some extent on avoiding transport delays between peaks due to accidents caused by either muggles or, heaven forbid, tired participants or the behaviour of some of the people driving minibuses to and from Wasdale?

The eighteen(plus) miles is on rough terrain, some of it in the dark, of course... You're right. You could just stay at Ben Nevis and climb it three (or six, or eight?) times in 24 hours for a bigger physical challenge. I have to assume you've not done the 3PC uktim? Completing it - even in a lite-version, like I did - brings a fresh perspective. Fitness, and luck both play a part. A fair number of people who attempt it, even with good planning and in good condition, fail to complete it in 24 hours. Those who do - often raising money for charities along the way - get my respect.
Over the years I've (silently) disagreed with many of uktim's posts but I'm with him all the way here. What's the point of a walking challenge which depends to some extent on avoiding transport delays between peaks due to accidents caused by either muggles or, heaven forbid, tired participants or the behaviour of some of the people driving minibuses to and from Wasdale?
What's the point of... anything? The idea of a challenge is a test. Something difficult, which will stretch you. Some people cycle the three peaks challenge, completing it in three days (72h) - I guess they'd be ok as if they fall asleep in the saddle no one but them will get hurt? I appreciate you've personally affected by climbers - both 3PCers and 'regular' walkers and climbers, but you must understand the lure of the highest point in England, as the folks of Lands End and John O'Groats presumably understand why they're locations which draw visitors (however pointless and inexplicable as their desire to visit a windswept tourist trap/eyesore might be).

The eighteen(plus) miles is on rough terrain, some of it in the dark, of course... You're right. You could just stay at Ben Nevis and climb it three (or six, or eight?) times in 24 hours for a bigger physical challenge. I have to assume you've not done the 3PC uktim? Completing it - even in a lite-version, like I did - brings a fresh perspective. Fitness, and luck both play a part. A fair number of people who attempt it, even with good planning and in good condition, fail to complete it in 24 hours. Those who do - often raising money for charities along the way - get my respect

If you want to get involved in willy waving contests I haven't done the 3PC as you call it. I have however done a number of 50 plus mile single push challenges over rough terrain, 100 miles over 4 days self sufficient carrying all kit over 4 days and a significant number of single push 30 mile plus challenges. I've also used some of this to fundraise for charity.

I know the routes up each of the 3 peaks and I wouldn't describe any of them as rough terrain.

The trendily named 3 PC may have hold kudos in some circles but it's not hugely impressive IMO. I'm more likely to admire a good time on the Welsh 3000s which is solely about the walking and involves slightly more ascent over 24 plus miles much of it on less well trodden or maintained paths. Do it without outside support and you're doing even better.

To be frank I'd be even more impressed if people used their imagination and put together their own challenge anywhere else rather than treading this over publicisd trail with the issues it causes.