Corporate Kinda-Sponsored CITO

I work for a major electronics retailer and have a few avid Geocachers working here with me. We are interested in doing a CITO event and recruiting fellow employees to work with us as well as cachers from the area. If we do this through official corporate channels we may be able to secure SWAG from vendors like Magellan and Garmin as well as get a lot more volunteers and accomplish a lot more work. I am just concerned that Groundspeak may not allow us to do this with the company involved.

If we do sponsor a CITO event the volunteers from the store will wear our corporate volunteer t-shirts and there would be some other branded materials on refreshment tables etc. Involving my store could do a lot to help the event and bring a lot more people to help but I don't want to break any Groundspeak rules.

Anyone deal with this sort of conundrum before?

My guess is that it won't fly but check with Groundspeak. We do you use sponsors at our CITO events to contribute things but their business isn't the main focus of the event.

From the FAQ "CITO events are set up and sponsored by geocachers – not by other organizations. If you have an event you feel fits within the spirit of this unique category, yet are still unsure, please seek permission from Groundspeak before submitting."

Just don't put anything corporate on your event page and it should be OK. You can mention swag and prizes. But don't advertise the company. No logos or anything like that on the cache page. Check with you reviewer and work with them on how to present it, so it can be approved. And don't push cachers to purchase the product. This is community service. We want to give, not take away from.