Talk about your failures

Set out the morning with a 9 cache trail in mind.

The little one fell in a mud puddle wearing white trousers :mellow:, ended up falling into a holly bush due to horrendous overgrowth -_-, two muggled caches, boots saturated with mud, little one had her first encounter with stinging nettles :o , had to push the stroller over grass, followed by sludge, followed by wheel-unfriendly terrain, followed by a path made of loose stones, little ones shoe came off after a slip on some wet bricks and lost a shoe in the river <_<, and after the 4 mile walk/slip/slide only found 4 of the 9 caches with two clearly being muggled, one wild overgrowth that resulted in numerous scratches, one up a steel hill which subsequently ended up with me flailing around because it was slippy, one search that ended when a tree slapped me in the face, and the rest were (thankfully) fairly normal finds and DNFs. Never again! :lol:

Edited by firestronaut

A few years ago when I was in High-school, I went to get a few caches on the other end of the city. I parked my car, got out and as I was shutting the door, I then realized that I had left the key in the ignition!(Thankfully I had shut the car off) But when I remembered the door was in the process of closing and it had enough momentum that I could not have stopped it in time! Its funny how if I would have remembered like 0.5 seconds earlier I would have been able to stop the door from shutting. It's also funny how your caching day can go from good to horrible in a second. I had to call my mom from work to pick me up and bring my spare key to open up my car again. It has been the first and last time I have locked myself out of my car(Hopefully). It's funny how when ever I get out of my car now, I triple check to make sure I have my keys before shutting my car door.

Edited by Turtle_Sask

A few years ago when I was in High-school, I went to get a few caches on the other end of the city. I parked my car, got out and as I was shutting the door, I then realized that I had left the key in the ignition!(Thankfully I had shut the car off) But when I remembered the door was in the process of closing and it had enough momentum that I could not have stopped it in time! Its funny how if I would have remembered like 0.5 seconds earlier I would have been able to stop the door from shutting. It's also funny how your caching day can go from good to horrible in a second. I had to call my mom from work to pick me up and bring my spare key to open up my car again. It has been the first and last time I have locked myself out of my car(Hopefully). It's funny how when ever I get out of my car now, I triple check to make sure I have my keys before shutting my car door.

Before there was geocaching people use to use these plastic containers with a magnet attached to them to hide a key under their wheel well.

Not my failure this time, or even my cache, so I hope that's OK, but I saw this cache get archived this morning and I enjoyed the log history so much that I had to post it somewhere. I think the entire cache log belongs in this thread. I'd recommend jumping immediately to the first log, and working your way up: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC35ZQB

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything even remotely like that before!

Before there was geocaching people use to use these plastic containers with a magnet attached to them to hide a key under their wheel well.

LOL I went out and bought some after! I haven't put it on my car yet though

It think it is the easy ones that for no reason you just can't find that are the worst. I mean it is rated 1 or 2 difficulty, but you just can't find it no matter what you do. You turn over every single stone and lift every branch, and have stuck you hand in gods knows what and still come up empty handed.

We looked in this area off of a trail in southeastern PA and we looked and looked. This was not a cacher freindly area, plenty of thorns, rusty metal, and low limbs of tree that you need to climb over and under. My sister and me search and seached one side of the trail, then the other and further off the trail. We lifted every stone, every limb, and looked in every crevas. We didn't see anything. Only a 1.5 dif too. It was getting close to dark and we needed to go so we left. Second attempt, I was alone that day and searching all the same spots we did before and climbing here and there and all over GZ. I was about to give up and leave because it was cold, raining, and misrable that day, when I see this fallen limb not two feet of the trail. It had a piece of wood wedged at the end and I didn't think that that could be where it was, but I took a look anyway. The cache wasn't even off the trail two feet... Other than the cooridantes being slightly off there is no reason we didn't find it the first day. *Palm face*

We got the smiley on this find, but we made the terrian a 4 or 5 when it only needed to be a 1 or a 1.5.. We parked close to where the cache was located, about 800 to 500 ft from the cache. It seemed like it would be very quick. Not a big deal right? Wrong! We ended up climbing down this huge hill, crossing a steam, almost lossing my shoe in the mud, bushwacking through 200 ft of thorns, only to get to the other side and have to climb up this huge hill..... We ended up finding the cache.. but because of where we parked, we had to back track through all that stuff AGAIN! After that, I try my best to look for the easiest route possible.

Not my failure this time, or even my cache, so I hope that's OK, but I saw this cache get archived this morning and I enjoyed the log history so much that I had to post it somewhere. I think the entire cache log belongs in this thread. I'd recommend jumping immediately to the first log, and working your way up: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC35ZQB

:D