Thoughts on Magellan eXplorist GC

My 9 year old son is using one of these, and really enjoys it. We are only using it for geocaching, and have mainly used it for urban caching, so can't give useful comments on how it does in areas with lots of tree cover. You do have to be ok with the joystick like controls, they are not to everybody's liking.

For us the pros are: relatively low cost, seems like a good build quality, simple to use, comes with a roadmap, and he loves the fact that it keeps track of the number of cache types (e.g. we found our first puzzle cache, and it recognized that)

Cons: Sometimes loses a satellite signal, the only map available is the one on the device (we thought the roadmap was good when I had no maps on my Garmin, but now that I have downloaded free routable open source road maps onto my Garmin, he brags less). I have not figured out how to download completed caches onto Magellan's Vantage Point, so we have a running total of caches completed, but not have the GPS so cluttered with cache listings. (note: once I have found a cache on my GPS, I download it into BaseCamp and then delete it from my GPS, so there are fewer actual caches on the GPS to scroll through).