flattr.com

die_spooks

Hi there,

I discovered that many popular caches had to be disabled because the owners had to stop them because it became too expensive to maintain the stations of a multi cache. Wouldn't it be a cool feature to be able to www.flattr.com the owner of cool caches to keep them alive.

What do you think?

die_spooks

I'm familiar with Flattr, and asking people to donate money to help maintain caches would be a violation of Groundspeak's Terms of Service.

That said, maintaining a multi shouldn't be "that" much of an expense unless someone is using some kind of "crazy" containers that need constant replacing. After the initial cost of the containers and swag, a well designed and thought out multi should last for years without needing maintenance.

If cost is an issue, there are places that offer durable, weather resistance containers for a couple dollars, and matchstick containers, which make great interim stages, are around a dollar. Using these supplies and some dollar store swag, a cache could be placed for less than $5.00.

If that's too much, an inexpensive way to hide a multi is to use info off plaques and other objects to gather info. The first stage could be the date off a plaque where math is done that leads to the final. That way no interim containers are needed.

I think if the cache can't be maintained it's time to either adopt it out or shut it down.

I'm not talking about investing time. Some caches have very spectacular electronic gimics that need "money" maintainance.

Your reply came while I was writing mine, so I wanted to respond specifically.

Once the electronic device is purchased, what kind of maintenance costs could there be other than batteries?

While it may sound "harsh," cache owners should not expect others others to "pick up the tab" for the caches they hide. If someone is placing a cache, they should be able to hide and maintain it without "assistance" from others.

That said, if someone likes a cache they found and wants to help out the owner, they are more than welcome to contact the owner directly, but asking for donations on a cache page is not allowed.

Edited by Skippermark

I think if the cache can't be maintained it's time to either adopt it out or shut it down.

I'm not talking about investing time. Some caches have very spectacular electronic gimics that need "money" maintainance.

Your reply came while I was writing mine, so I wanted to respond specifically.

Once the electronic device is purchased, what kind of maintenance costs could there be other than batteries?

While it may sound "harsh," cache owners should not expect others others to "pick up the tab" for the caches they hide. If someone is placing a cache, they should be able to hide and maintain it without "assistance" from others.

That said, if someone likes a cache they found and wants to help out the owner, they are more than welcome to contact the owner directly, but asking for donations on a cache page is not allowed.

O.K. If it is against the terms of use there is no need to discuss this any further. Please close the topic then.

I was just looking for a solution to honour the work of the owners of good caches other than FavPoints.

As I said I saw many multi caches disappear because of some sort of vandalism especially the ones with electronic gadget.

But maybe you are right. If the owner wants t keep it alive he has to "suffer" some time and money.