Geocaching Attributes List.

iryshe

Why all the excitement all of a sudden?

Because we'll be able to search and sort on the attributes that are on geocaching.com. ;)

Only be useful if everyone updated their cache pages. Until then it is completely pointless. I mean people can't even seem submit their caches with the correct type ie: traditional, multi, etc... What makes you think they will get the attributes right? They are going to see all these radial buttons to choose from and have a major break down...

Don't forget the whole moral issue here. This whole idea was ganked without so much a recognition for the originator. Texas is probably the second most active state right behind California. These actions have pretty much pissed off a whole state. :unsure:

Why all the excitement all of a sudden?

Because we'll be able to search and sort on the attributes that are on geocaching.com. :D

Only be useful if everyone updated their cache pages. Until then it is completely pointless. I mean people can't even seem submit their caches with the correct type ie: traditional, multi, etc... What makes you think they will get the attributes right? They are going to see all these radial buttons to choose from and have a major break down...

Don't forget the whole moral issue here. This whole idea was ganked without so much a recognition for the originator. Texas is probably the second most active state right behind California. These actions have pretty much pissed off a whole state. :ph34r:

You may have some valid points about the usefulness of this feature until everybody updates their caches - but eventually the situation will be better than it currently is.

I think 9Key has done some great work - but the idea of cache attributes is not a new idea and it wasn't stolen from the selector. Jeremy mentioned this a long time ago, I'm fairly certain it was before the selector (if I'm wrong I know I'll be corrected).

Yes, the icons are similar but it's not about the icons - it's about the data being tied into the gc.com page so it's searchable. The icons just tell people that the information has been added.

I do hope that the icons will be placed neatly on the page without taking up a lot of space. I'm sure that as people see these on cache pages they'll begin to use them more.

It's not quite as ambigous as cache-types - there's a fair bit of confusion on which type to pick when the cache is actually a combination of several cache types. Wether or not dogs are allowed is fairly clear cut in comparison.

southdeltan

... mentioned this a long time ago, I'm fairly certain it was before the selector...
There's a big difference between talking about something and actually producing it.

Yes, there is. The difference is often the amount of spare time you have and the other items that are higher on the priority list.

southdeltan