Navigate to route problem

mpw246pl

I have been caching using my iphone and now have obtained a GPSmap 60CSx :D and am trying to get to grips with, and to be honest, struggling, I don't find it very intuitive and the menus, within menus, a bit confusing :sad:.I have read the manual back to front & also viewed a few websites (including this for some valuable pointers.

The problem I am having is that navigating a route, from start to finish - although my Garmin (or settings) seems to want me to do it back to front each time!

I used geocaching.com to create my pocket query, then used Garmin MapSource to load the pocket query and allow me to design my route between caches. I ensured that myroute started at the first cache (which was my planned start) and ended with the last cache (where I wanted to finish). Once completed, I named the route & succesfully sent it to the GPSr B) .

Then on the Garmin, I double tap the menu button, select ROUTES, enter, highlight my named route, enter. Now my Garmin automatically has the list of caches - upon checking them they are in order of my route planning (so far so good). The Garmin also automatically has highlighted the 'Navigate' box at the bottom of the screen. Common sense says to select this (which I do), then select 'off road' - when the Garmin has calculated the route - its done it to the LAST cache on the list, last on the route :mad: :mad:

Can anyone assist as to why this is happening? is it a setting that i've missed on the Garmin or on MapSource? According to pg33 of the Garmin manual I am doing it correctly.

Edited by mpw246pl

The only thing I can think of, because I haven't done it in awhile, is that your last cache or waypoint is the closest one to where you are starting from so it wants to go there first.

Another way, which is what I usually do, is just enter all the geocaches onto the unit and head out for the day. Choose the one your closest to and go for it. Once found, find the next closest and so on.

Good luck.

Edited for spelling

Edited by ao318

I have been caching using my iphone and now have obtained a GPSmap 60CSx :D and am trying to get to grips with, and to be honest, struggling, I don't find it very intuitive and the menus, within menus, a bit confusing :sad:.I have read the manual back to front & also viewed a few websites (including this for some valuable pointers.

The problem I am having is that navigating a route, from start to finish - although my Garmin (or settings) seems to want me to do it back to front each time!

I used geocaching.com to create my pocket query, then used Garmin MapSource to load the pocket query and allow me to design my route between caches. I ensured that myroute started at the first cache (which was my planned start) and ended with the last cache (where I wanted to finish). Once completed, I named the route & succesfully sent it to the GPSr B) .

Then on the Garmin, I double tap the menu button, select ROUTES, enter, highlight my named route, enter. Now my Garmin automatically has the list of caches - upon checking them they are in order of my route planning (so far so good). The Garmin also automatically has highlighted the 'Navigate' box at the bottom of the screen. Common sense says to select this (which I do), then select 'off road' - when the Garmin has calculated the route - its done it to the LAST cache on the list, last on the route :mad: :mad:

Can anyone assist as to why this is happening? is it a setting that i've missed on the Garmin or on MapSource? According to pg33 of the Garmin manual I am doing it correctly.

Sometimes I don't have my Nuvi with me and use my 76CSx to route me to some caches. So what I do with the 76, which should work the same as your 60, is pick the cache off the list and have it route me to the cache using on road, then when I get to the cache I stop navigation and reselect the cache again and do a go to off road. I have never loaded the caches as a route because the GPS will show you the closest cache anyway. Another problem you might be having is if you only have the basemap it might not work right with routing.

1. I like the idea of using navigation on roads to get near the cache and then switching to navigate not on the roads to actually find it. Up to now, I've been using my iPhone map or a car mounted GPS

2. Just going to the next closest cache that is on the GPS may not be the most efficient route. The next closest may take you away from an area with a more density or from the route you wish to take.

3. I don't recall what I did to overcome the problem with the GPS taking me to the last point on a route. I seem to recall setting a point right near me and putting it as the first point in the route, with the first cache I want to go to as the second, etc.

2. Just going to the next closest cache that is on the GPS may not be the most efficient route. The next closest may take you away from an area with a more density or from the route you wish to take.

I forgot to mentioned that I also print a map out of Streets & Trips showing all of the caches so I can over ride the closest cache showing on the GPS in a case like you mentioned.