Hopefully helped a stolen geocoin get back home!

Doctor A

I have a search set up on ebay for "breast cancer geocoin" since there are a few of the older breast cancer geocoins I'm still looking to get one of. Well I got a notification of this listing the other day:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390406949736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Went to the listing and it is indeed one that I've only managed to get one of the coins so would love to get a second. but as I looked closer I saw the tracking number showing. So I was going to email the seller and ask them if it was activated or not- the listing doesn't say- because I didn't want to buy an activated coin, and was also going to suggest that whether it was activated or not, they remove the tracking number from the picture. ut I decided I'd just see if it was activated myself. That led me to this page:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=pcfbvb

At first I only looked at the logs and saw that it said it was in the hands of the owner, so thought they must be selling their own personal coins, But then when I went back and looked at it a second time, I saw the "current goal", which says it was stolen back in 2008! So I emailed the owner, and didn't contact the ebay seller so as to not alert them- although it looks like he/she is just someone who deals in coins and my guess is got it not knowing it was stolen property. Anyway, this was yesterday morning, as of now the ebay auction is still up, but I did get a response from the coin owner last night, so he's aware of it. I'm hoing this can get the coin back to him- after 4 years, that would be great to see it returned!

I know both the owner and the Team that had the coin minted. I just emailed him and told him I would bid on it if he wanted me to and give it to him when I see him. I'll see what he wants to do....I don't want to bid against someone else who wants to get it back to him though so I will post here.

He used to have a TB hotel on his front porch and it was looted. Not the first time I've heard of was being cleaned out on somebody else's porch. Pretty brazen I'd say....

I had also checked a few of the sellers other items after finding this one and he has several geocoins listed. On some you can't see the tracking numbers, on one it's too hard to read, but on the two coins that are called something like "farewell to pepper", those come up as not yet activated. I don't know if those also belonged to othum, but my hope is that he'll go through that sellers list with a fine tooth-comb and see if maybe some of his other missing coins are in there.

I took a look at the coins that that seller has on ebay. All of them are from cachers here in SE Michigan that both the owner and I know including the pathtags. It's doubtful that he had the nontrackable coins in his cache so I'm now wondering if he is selling off his own collection. He hasn't gotten back to me so this is just speculation on my part. I'll post when he gets back to me.......

Please be very careful on eBay. This is the second seller this week selling activated geocoins and not marking them as that. The other seller was star-2012 selling them as New. Make sure to check the coins as soon as you get them. And more importantly, if not for sure, ASK before you buy or bid. And if the seller does not answer, move on.

I got a reply from the coin owner who said he'd been in contact wih the ebay seller, who was looking into the issue, and that he (the seller) got the coins at an auciton. Interesting thing is that the coin is still for sale on ebay. If I had something for sale on ebay and someone even questioned that it might be stolen, even if I didn't believe them or wasn't certain, I'd remove the listing until the question could be resolved. Doesn't leave me with a good impression of the seller...