Sorry - Another which GPS to buy thread - UK based

Hi all

We have just started geocaching and are hooked, we are looking to buy a GPS as it kills the iPhone when we (husband) got us lost.

We have a budget of around £400 and will mainly want it for searches in the UK, the problem I'm having is lots of information on the net relates to USA versions, we are considering the Garmin GPSMAP 62ST, but aren't really sure if it's the right one for us.

Priorities we want:

Paperless

Good Battery Life

Not touch screen

Colour screen (excuse me if that's a given)

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated, we have looked at what shops stock them to go and look at some but we can't find any, otherwise we would pay a visit, again any suggestions would be great - we're on Notts/Derbyshire border, so peak district is an option to go visit for a good shop.

Thanks all

Hi,

Just which unit to buy can only be your choice. There are just so many out there to pick from, but your £400 will buy you a lot!!

I upgraded to a new Etrex 20 a few month ago, one of these would be well within your budget. Its got everything on your list too!

If you go to www.handtec.co.uk and see if theres anything you fancy there...then go to www.gooutdoors.co.uk and see if they do that particular unit. I've no doubt it will be more expensive (if they have it!). Heres the crunch, Go-outdoors will beat any price by 10% on a 'like for like' unit. For instance my Etrex 20 was £160+ at go-outdoors, and £150+ at handtec, after the 10% deal I got it for about £142. You will need a discount card (£5), this lasts for twelve months and you can use it time and time again in store or on line. Got to be worth having a look!

To get the most of your new GPS you will need to be Premium Members, its cheap and well worth it.

Don't be tempted to buy expensive maps either! Have a look at www.talkytoaster.info this considerate chap makes his maps available to all, totally free of charge, they are (in my opinion) unbeatable for geocaching.

I really dont think you NEED to spend £400 to enjoy the hobby, but thats just my opinion.

Good luck in your search.

Croesgadwr

North Wales

Thanks all - I will look into it some more, and thanks for the tip for the outdoors, I think Hubby has decided he likes the Garmin, but is open to looking into it, I will also take the point about not needing to buy an expensive one to enjoy the hobby. I do plan to upgrade to full membership very soon and am already planning another excursion tomorrow - I think I'm hooked.

Hi all

We have just started geocaching and are hooked, we are looking to buy a GPS as it kills the iPhone when we (husband) got us lost.

We have a budget of around £400 and will mainly want it for searches in the UK, the problem I'm having is lots of information on the net relates to USA versions, we are considering the Garmin GPSMAP 62ST, but aren't really sure if it's the right one for us.

Priorities we want:

Paperless

Good Battery Life

Not touch screen

Colour screen (excuse me if that's a given)

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated, we have looked at what shops stock them to go and look at some but we can't find any, otherwise we would pay a visit, again any suggestions would be great - we're on Notts/Derbyshire border, so peak district is an option to go visit for a good shop.

Thanks all

If you want a Garmin and don't want a touch screen you'll be looking at the 62 series. If you buy the 62st in the US you'll get a US topo map, if you buy it in the UK you'll get a European topo map. Personally I'd skip the 62st and get the 62s instead, and put your own maps on it. You can do a lot worse than look at the free OSM maps.

At the £400-odd price point you'll definitely get a colour screen. The 62 series supports paperless caching. It takes AA batteries so it's easy enough to take a spare set with you (although if it's anything like my 60CSx a single pair of AA batteries will last you all day)

You may find a shop like Cotswolds has something you can look at although their prices tend to pretty much mirror the full recommended retail price. There are a few online places that seem to have good prices, personally I'd look at handtec.co.uk and pentagongps.co.uk - I've never actually bought from either but both seem to have good prices and seem to get good consumer reviews.

I have the etrex 30, it's got everything on your wish list, plus 3 axis compass and Chirp, for about 1/2 of your budget.

There have been "teething" problems with the unit as it's brand new, garmin seem to make a habit of beta testing once devices are on the shelves. So far as I am concerned mine is now working perfectly, it holds up to 5000 caches, Talkytoaster's free maps are great and it does the job for both finding and placing caches.

Only "problem" I now have is the screen is a little small, but I suppose that makes it less likely to break as I have it on a lanyard around my neck while scrambling up rocks and trees looking for tupperware :)

Hi all

Thanks for all the responses, we went along to go outdoors to have an actual play with some, although I liked the etrex range my hubby likes the buttons on the 62 series as he thinks they are easier to navigate. Thanks to the advice above we bought the 62S (rather than ST) with the full loaded GB maps, price in store was £395 however we looked online and found it for £360 which go outdoors were more than happy to match with an additional 10% off, so a nice £324 instead of the £400 budgeted. (Again thanks for the top tip above about that)

I'm typing this as hubby is currently trying to work out how to turn it on.

As we get easter tuesday off work I'm hoping he gets it sorted so we can go for a few caches tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone it has been a real eye opener on what's around.

Cheers

MM

Glad you have the GPS :)

One thing well worth investigation is Premium Membership, being able to create PM's is a huge advantage.

Indeed, and the £76 saved against the original £400 budget will be enough to buy a premium membership for about 4 years.

Bought the premium membership on sunday as well, before we did another couple of caches :-)

Cool - I bought a Nuvi 3760 a few months ago and had forgotten too - until I responded to this thread.

Perhaps mention of this should be made in a sticky - I have seen so much advice given to those wanting to buy a new unit, most seem to forget about this(myself included):-)