How do I find out who a cache belongs to?

ShadowDog4

I found a cache sort of by accident. Since I have found it I would like to log it but can't figure out who it belongs to. None of the ones in the area matched up to it. There are some premium ones around there, it may be one of those. Is the ONLY way- to become a premium member and then try to match it up? Meaning, going back to the area and following my GPS to that same location on all the different caches until one matches and is it?

I found a cache sort of by accident. Since I have found it I would like to log it but can't figure out who it belongs to. None of the ones in the area matched up to it. There are some premium ones around there, it may be one of those. Is the ONLY way- to become a premium member and then try to match it up? Meaning, going back to the area and following my GPS to that same location on all the different caches until one matches and is it?

Usually a geocaching.com cache would have its GCxxxxx code somewhere in it—on the log book; on the cache note; on the container; or all of them.

It may be a cache from another site. Did it have a rubber stamp in it? Then it's a letterboxing cache.

Where was the location, in relation to a cache that you've logged as "found"?

Do you remember any of the names in the log book?

It might be an archived cache, that hasn't been picked up.

Don't suppose you've got the coordinates for it?

B.

Usually "Sometimes" or "If you're lucky" a geocaching.com cache would have its GCxxxxx code somewhere in it—on the log book; on the cache note; on the container; or all of them.

It may be a cache from another site. Did it have a rubber stamp in it? Then it's a letterboxing cache.

I'm terrible about putting identifying labels on my caches. In my experience, so are most other people. I really need to get better at it. Part of the problem though, is that a few of my caches were placed on the fly, so I didn't have the cache information on hand to put on the container. Other times I'm just lazy/forgetfull.

Thanks everyone for the great responses and ideas to how I can figure this out.

-No I didn't see a GC code anywhere in or on it, it was quite small and only had a log inside.

-No I don't remember any names, but I can go back and check it out and double check for a GC code too!!

-It was definitely wasn't a letterbox.

-When I first started caching I remember reading that there was one there and I went to look but didn't find it (no skill at that time).

-I'm reasonably sure there was a recent date in there before mine.

- Been under the weather last couple of days,will go back in the next day or two and check it out and get coordinates as well!!

Thanks,

ShadowDog4

I also found a cache that I wasn't looking for. My boyfriend and I were doing the multi-cache "Yes Dear" on Cape Cod and based on the pictures in the gallery the cache we found was definitely a different one. It was a cache that had a stamp (a alien worm creature?) in it and a "index card" like book to stamp, no ink pad or anything else. I would love to log it but not sure which. I've tried looking for it by the rough coordinates I had from the first part of the multi-cache I was doing, but nothing came up for this particular cache. Oh it also said "Wormwood" on it

It could be a puzzle; in that case the GC code may not be present. Some COs want you to solve the puzzle...

This is a reason why it might not be a good idea to reveal the exact coordinates where the cache was found. If the cache is identified, and it's a puzzle or multi, posting the coordinates here could be considered a spoiler. Providing a general location (i.e. the name of the city, nearest cross street, or the park it may in) would allow us narrow down the possibilities. If some of the names on the log sheet (with the date they logged it) can be provided it would make identifying the cache a lot easier.

As someone else suggested, finding a cache which has the GC code written on the container and/or log sheet is becoming pretty rare. Labeling every container on, for example, the caches on the ET Power trail would be pretty useless.