Distance from Cache to Cache

Wihungen

The distance to any cache should not be less than 528 feet, or 1/10 of a mile. Here's a Calculator that may help you.

A quote from Groundspeak: "Physical elements of different geocaches should generally be at least 0.10 miles apart. This separation is 528 ft or 161 m. A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a container or a tag with the next set of coordinates. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and/or a question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline. Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements. The graphic below shows a few examples of what is and is not acceptable in terms of geocache saturation. EarthCaches are exempt from this guideline."

Happy caching

Edited by randco
Questions such as this worry me because when people submit a cache they must check a box stating that they read and understood the guidelines. This information is in there.

Those boxes are so common on the internet that 99.9% of the people who check them don't even read the label on the check box! That you think otherwise worries me.

Austin

Questions such as this worry me because when people submit a cache they must check a box stating that they read and understood the guidelines. This information is in there.

Those boxes are so common on the internet that 99.9% of the people who check them don't even read the label on the check box! That you think otherwise worries me.

Austin

No excuse whatsoever for not understanding what you have just agreed to.

Austin

Nor did I claim such a thing. What I said, and what I meant, is that it worries me that it worries you. The overwhelming majority of people do not read instructions or TOS. It bothers me not one bit that someone comes and asks for help in understanding.

Austin

Nor did I claim such a thing. What I said, and what I meant, is that it worries me that it worries you. The overwhelming majority of people do not read instructions or TOS. It bothers me not one bit that someone comes and asks for help in understanding.

Austin

I'm willing to bet that the OP is hearing about the Guidelines for the first time in this thread, or would not have needed to ask about something that is easy to find. It wasn't a question of "understanding" the saturation Guideline.

The Guidelines (all of them) can be found here:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

B.

Austin

Austin

If you like Geocaching, it should worry you a little that someone is hiding a cache without reading the guidelines.

It should also worry you a little that the "overwhelming majority" do not read instructions.(I'm not sure I buy that line, seems most people I talk with have read the instructions, or at least know what the boxes they are checking mean.)

There are areas where caching has been prohibited because the guidelines weren't followed.

One of the problems with the site design, is that the first time a newbie is made aware that there even are guidelines, is when he tries to submit his new cache on the website. By that time, the physical cache is already hidden someplace. The newbie fills out the form, and way at the bottom there is a checkbox and a link to the guidelines. Most newbies will assume this is just legalese and/or common sense stuff and just check the box.

It won't be until a few hours later, when the newbie opens an email and sees that a reviewer has nixed his cache, that the newbie will realize that there are actually real guidelines and rules that he never would have even thought of.

I wish I knew how to fix this.

StarBrand came up with a checklist that submitters would have to through step-by-step before the cache would actually be submitted, but again this would be after the container has already been hidden. Others have suggested a quiz for new cachers which would require them to provide answers found in the guidelines. Maybe a combination of both?

One of the problems with the site design, is that the first time a newbie is made aware that there even are guidelines, is when he tries to submit his new cache on the website. By that time, the physical cache is already hidden someplace. The newbie fills out the form, and way at the bottom there is a checkbox and a link to the guidelines. Most newbies will assume this is just legalese and/or common sense stuff and just check the box.

It won't be until a few hours later, when the newbie opens an email and sees that a reviewer has nixed his cache, that the newbie will realize that there are actually real guidelines and rules that he never would have even thought of.

When a person signs up with Groundspeak, there could be a "welcome" email sent back to them, an activation email that includes links to helpful pages in the Help Center and to the Guidelines.

I think Groundspeak could come up with ways to directly communicate with new members. The weekly newsletter of late has been including articles geared to the newer members, but even the existence of the newsletter is probably unknown to a lot of folks.

B.

When a person signs up with Groundspeak, there could be a "welcome" email sent back to them, an activation email that includes links to helpful pages in the Help Center and to the Guidelines.

I think Groundspeak could come up with ways to directly communicate with new members. The weekly newsletter of late has been including articles geared to the newer members, but even the existence of the newsletter is probably unknown to a lot of folks.

B.

There is still no guarantee that an activation email will be read. Most if the time I am just looking for the activation link because I know that everything else in the email is just a restatement of the TOS that I didn't read in the first place.

The newsletter is a good place to start but again that can easily end up in spam folder, deleted without even being read, or go to a secondary email address that is only visited when signing up at new website.

Anything short of popping up a window after entering the coordinates and asking the submitter to verify that the cache is at least 528 feet away from any other caches will be lost on most people. Also adding a

would help attract attention to the pop-up and slow down the "gotta click anything I can right away to get it to go away reflex".

As far keeping someone from going thru all the steps of placing a cache only to have it rejected for violating one of the guidelines. That's on each person to understand what the rules are before hiding a cache and accepting the consequences if they don't.