Signature items

WildcatRegi

I've heard some talk in these forums about people's signature items.

I'm a Civil War buff (skirmisher/reenactor) and I was thinking of making an old style minnie musket ball as my 'signature' item.

I've placed them in caches before and kids seem to think they're neat.

I put them in a little plastic baggie with a little blurb on what they are.

I'm kind of curious what type of 'signatures' are common.

[Note: The minnie ball is just a small piece of metal, there's no powder or anything like that. Even the National Park Service sells these as souvenirs.]

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

oops, this should have been posted in the General area. I tried to delete but it won't let me ... sorry.

[This message was edited by MuzzleBlast! on January 17, 2003 at 03:42 AM.]

[This message was edited by MuzzleBlast! on January 17, 2003 at 07:30 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast!:

I've heard some talk in these forums about people's signature items.

I'm a Civil War buff (skirmisher/reenactor) and I was thinking of making an old style minnie musket ball as my 'signature' item.

Hey Muzzleblast, nice sig item! Ever make it down to Winchester, VA for the N-SSA nationals?

And 'cause I already know there is someone out there screaming "OMG! NO ammo in caches!!", minnieballs are perfectly safe, there is no explosive charge like a modern day bullet.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

oops, this should have been posted in the General area. I tried to delete but it won't let me ... sorry.

Yeah, probably, but since it's here...

I love your idea.

I recently visited Deerfield, MA where they had a guy making musket balls. When you pick one up you get some sense of what it would have been like to get hit with one. He also told stories of soldiers taking the lead off houses, churches, etc. Very interesting.

geospotter

TO Mopar:

You bet I go to Winchester for the Nationals! I can hardly wait until May!

I'm in the Northwest Territory of the N-SSA.

Actually, I was thinking of making a cache for the range since it's open to the public for the weekend. A lot of people would enjoy seeing the cannons and mortars competing against each other (no, they don't shoot at each other, only targets)

It might be ok to have a time-sensitive cache (available only during certain hours on certain days), the time restriction might actually add another challenge!

Any body have comments on time-sensitive caches?

quote:

TO Mopar:

You bet I go to Winchester for the Nationals! I can hardly wait until May!

I'm in the Northwest Territory of the N-SSA.

Actually, I was thinking of making a cache for the range since it's open to the public for the weekend. A lot of people would enjoy seeing the cannons and mortars competing against each other (no, they don't shoot at each other, only targets)

It might be ok to have a time-sensitive cache (available only during certain hours on certain days), the time restriction might actually add another challenge!

Any body have comments on time-sensitive caches?

Ive thought of putting a cache there as well. I have a few issues, mainly that I can't possibly maintain it as well as I would like. The other is the fact that it is still private property, and would have to be placed with the permission of the commander/board of directors. Then there are liability issues of people possibly seeking it from the wrong direction while the range is hot. I think the best thing might be some sort of event cache during the nationals, to encourage the general public to see what its all about.

For everyone out there wondering what the #@$% are those guys blabbing about, check out the North-South Skirmish Association and see what it's all about!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.