missing TB

My one and only TB has gone walkabout.Was in cache in Scotland cacher has signed log book back in Feb took coin but did not log on line that they had been to cache or taken the TB is there any way i can find who took it by the names in the log book to do some detective work.The owner of the cache has given me all these details she was really helpful.

Ask the owner what name they signed in the log book, and try a search for them at this link: http://www.geocaching.com/find/default.aspx but bear in mind some people just don't log their finds online and the name in the log book might not be the one they use online.

Have a look at any other local caches and try to figure out whether anyone logged nearby caches on a date in Feb but not this one, although if this is the case then it's probably a deliberate attempt to avoid detection because they intend to nick it.

I don't think 4-8 weeks is so long that all hope is lost, maybe they're just occasional cachers, or were on holiday and haven't finished unpacking yet! so keep your fingers crossed, but TBs and coins have a habit of going walkies I'm afraid.

It is very annoying when these things happen, but don't give up hope. We had one trackable go missing and re-appear 18 months later. We have, however, had several disappear and never come back despite polite reminders to the cachers concerned ( do wish the one sent out in memory of a young lad would reappear, but cacher hasn't responded despite contacting them in their own language).

Good luck and don't be discouraged!

It is very annoying when these things happen, but don't give up hope. We had one trackable go missing and re-appear 18 months later. We have, however, had several disappear and never come back despite polite reminders to the cachers concerned ( do wish the one sent out in memory of a young lad would reappear, but cacher hasn't responded despite contacting them in their own language).

We would agree with that - a couple of months is too soon to panic. We had given up on one that reappeared after two years. Sadly, there are a few who don't play the game, but the majority of geocachers do and are very helpful at that.

We would agree with that - a couple of months is too soon to panic. We had given up on one that reappeared after two years. Sadly, there are a few who don't play the game, but the majority of geocachers do and are very helpful at that.

Beat this

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=2bde5ed2-04ce-44c8-ab31-001704b8f21d

I only ever send TB's out now. My coin collection is growing nicely though. Looking back I must have had at least £200 worth, if not more, of trackables disappear over the last few years that I have been caching.

However, it doesn't stop me sending the TB's out. Having said that I only ever send them out if they are in a TB race. It seems to me that people are better (on the whole) at moving them on quickly if they think that they are helping a racing TB than one that is just travelling.

I've had a few turn up after a year or so as well. A golden rule with TB's is not to attach anything of value. I learned that the hard way after a toy space shuttle and a plastic dinosaur disappeared after a just few weeks. Out of 32 original TB's of mine, 23 have gone missing. The ones remaining are just tat which would indicate that the others have been deliberately stolen. I won't be putting out any more... :mad:

I don't think being in races helps, especially when newer geocachers retrieve them. I have had two race TB' s sitting doing nothing for 40 and 70 days respectively. When they eventually replaced them in a cache one had travelled 1.03 miles and the other 2.06 . They hadn't even been "visited" to the few caches the geocachers had logged in the meantime. Sometimes I really wonder at the literacy levels of some members.It is all there to be read, why don't they do it? :mad:

It's a pity that this happens but I have had some good success with my 2 TBs. One reached it's goal of getting to Brisbane, and the other is merrily wending it's way arounf the Netherlands (although I'm not sure how many beaches it's visited!) However, I rarely take a TB now ad when I do, I end up realising I can't fulfil it's mission. If I ever release one again I am going to laminate the "mission" and attach to the TB, but TBH, I probably won't bother. And as for coins, well, they look nice and I have met someone who has an impressive (and not inexpensive) collection. However, there is talk of a cacher locally who "collects them" so please avoid placing or moving to anywhere near the Ipswich/Colchester area unless you don't care what happens to them.