"Dipping"

ohmelli

Visited a cache today that I had intended to drop at least one - maybe two, travel bugs in... but when I got there, the 3 that were supposed to be in it were NOT. Obviously I did not want to leave more bugs there! Soooo... how do I go about "dipping" them? Does that mean I drop them there and then quickly retrieve them myself? And what is the POINT of that? One of them would like pictures, and so I took one somewhere in the park of it... not with the cache... but somewhere that gives the owner an idea of where it is. So I would definitely like that one dipped. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right! TIA!

Visiting is the new dipping.

When you log a cache, you see the trackables in your possession in the trackables inventory box, under the log Comment box.

Just select the action "visited" by the appropriate trackable, then submit your cache log in the usual way.

If you've already done your log for the cache you can go back and do the trackable visit in one of two ways.

Either:

Go back to your cache log, click to edited it, open it in the editing box, then select the 'visted' option and submit the log again.

Or,

Put a separate Note log on the cache page and make the visit on that log.

What's the point of it?

It shows that the trackable was at the cache. It's useful if the trackable has a mission to visit a specific town/landmark/special location but the nearest cache is too small to hold a trackable. Previously you had to do a drop-off log, followed by a retrieve - now it can be done in one action.

However, I think "visiting" can be overdone, I don't really need to have my trackables visited to every cache along a series so I receive many identical logs, "CacherWanderingWillie took it to Country Walk#1.... #2... #3... #4..."

But I'm not complaining :D Some cachers love seeing their TB going to so many caches.

It's a good feature if used sensibly.

MrsB

Thank you sO much! I didn't know about "visiting"! That helps! And there is NO WAY any trackable in MY hands is going to visit EVERY cache I go to. This one though is special... it's gotten to me all the way from Germany - the owner had asked for photos of it's travels - and so far, NO PHOTOS have been posted! So I want to have a little FUN with this one! :D

By the way, a little tip. If you've already posted your "Found It" log, and forgot to drop (or dip) your trackable, just post a note with the action, then delete the note. The trackable log will still show the drop or dip, but the cache page will not.

I like to post goofy remarks like "Forgot to drop TB. This note will self destruct in 5 seconds." Only the CO and those watching the cache will see that note.

If I have a TB in my possession that is psychically with me when I geocache, and can't find a suitable cache for it, I have it visit every cache I went to.

Saying that, I don't visit very many in a single day (my little one gets tired easily).

It just seems to me, that if the TB has been there, it should be marked as being there. Maybe thats just me.

It just seems to me, that if the TB has been there, it should be marked as being there.

That makes sense. But consider the Trackable Owner when you do that (which is kinda the point of making the "visit"). Maybe make a couple of personalized logs with photos for every bahzillion indentical "took it to" logs. :anicute:

A few good points on dipping, glad to have read the thread. So far the only time I visit a TB to a cache is when I'm keeping for more than a week or so to help it along with a goal. For example, I have two TB's right now with goals that are related to getting to Texas. I live in Iowa but am going to Arkansas in two weeks, so I'll keep them, visit them somewhere next week so the CO get's an update. Also take some pictures to post in the logs for the CO. Not owning any TB's myself, I do this as my part of the golden rule. I would think part of the fun of a TB is getting updates, so that's what I do.

TB's that don't have a goal I can help out with I leave where they are. Ones that have the goal of moving along from cache to cache I take with me and drop them within a few days and rarely visit them anywhere.

If I have a trackable with me when I visit a cache, I use the visit option. It's very easy, very fast, and the trackable owners don't get an email every time you VISIT a cache. I like checking my trackables to see how far they've gone since the last time I got a notification about them, it's fun :lol:

I would hope that if somebody had my trackable at a cache, they'd take the 1 second it takes to use the "visit" option on the drop down menu for that trackable in their inventory. Pictures are even better, but much more time consuming.

For the sake of all that is hole-y, keep the mileage accurate! :anibad:

If I have a trackable with me when I visit a cache, I use the visit option. It's very easy, very fast, and the trackable owners don't get an email every time you VISIT a cache. I like checking my trackables to see how far they've gone since the last time I got a notification about them, it's fun :lol:

I would hope that if somebody had my trackable at a cache, they'd take the 1 second it takes to use the "visit" option on the drop down menu for that trackable in their inventory. Pictures are even better, but much more time consuming.

For the sake of all that is hole-y, keep the mileage accurate! :anibad

Just a note: trackable owners do not get an email for the "visited" log type.

The only way to see that someone has been over-using the "visited" log is when you look at the trackable's page, and see nothing but "visited" over and over and over again. No interesting comments, no stories, no photos, nothing but "visited".

:(

I would prefer that people actually pay attention to the trackable's mission, and try to comply with that. Mileage for the sake of mileage is boring.

B.

I would hope that if somebody had my trackable at a cache, they'd take the 1 second it takes to use the "visit" option on the drop down menu for that trackable in their inventory.

There are two camps on this issue: those like you that love having your trackables visit as many caches as possible, and those that detest visits and would rather the activity be eliminated. Please check the description of trackables before visiting them in every cache you go to. The owner may have left explicit instructions not to do this.

I would hope that if somebody had my trackable at a cache, they'd take the 1 second it takes to use the "visit" option on the drop down menu for that trackable in their inventory.

There are two camps on this issue: those like you that love having your trackables visit as many caches as possible, and those that detest visits and would rather the activity be eliminated. Please check the description of trackables before visiting them in every cache you go to. The owner may have left explicit instructions not to do this.

No, there's at least a third camp which is the one I'm in which says, "Everything (including visiting) in moderation, please!" :)

I really wouldn't want visiting eliminated, I think it's a good feature, but like many things in life it's not so good when it's done excessively e.g. cooking steak, applying make-up, complaining, alcohol consumption, putting cream on ice-cream, cat-keeping...

MrsB

No, there's at least a third camp which is the one I'm in which says, "Everything (including visiting) in moderation, please!" :)

Thanks Mrs. B, I missed that one.

have a travel bug out there with a mission to go to seattle currently it traveled with on cacher over 600miles and to over 30 caches it is now with same cachers sister still traveling towards goal I have enjoyed seeing it move im sure if it was droped at a cache it would still be in nebraska and take forever to get there ( moms Necklace )