Montana 650 - Trouble Changing b/t Maps

Hello, I normally load my Garmin GPS products (60Cx, 276C, Oregon 550, Nuvi, now the Montana 650) with all three map systems at once and simply select which one I wish to be active through the "Setup map->Select Map" option array. For whatever reason, my Montana won't let me do that. I have loaded up about 512MB worth of blues and topos to the internal memory via USB cable to try it, but it does not show the map products in the "Select Map" menu despite the fact that it displays the BlueCharts over the top of whatever else I have uploaded. This is weird.

Other than this, I have also tried loading the three map products to a MicroSD card via my computer's SD card reader slot to see if that would work, but once installed into the Montana, it does recognize that the maps are there, but it just piles all three map products on top of each other so that all I can see are the BlueCharts predominantly, with the topos skirting these map plates.

Can somebody tell me if they are having the same problem? This is normally a very straightforward process.

Hello, I normally load my Garmin GPS products (60Cx, 276C, Oregon 550, Nuvi, now the Montana 650) with all three map systems at once and simply select which one I wish to be active through the "Setup map->Select Map" option array. For whatever reason, my Montana won't let me do that. I have loaded up about 512MB worth of blues and topos to the internal memory via USB cable to try it, but it does not show the map products in the "Select Map" menu despite the fact that it displays the BlueCharts over the top of whatever else I have uploaded. This is weird.

Other than this, I have also tried loading the three map products to a MicroSD card via my computer's SD card reader slot to see if that would work, but once installed into the Montana, it does recognize that the maps are there, but it just piles all three map products on top of each other so that all I can see are the BlueCharts predominantly, with the topos skirting these map plates.

Can somebody tell me if they are having the same problem? This is normally a very straightforward process.

How are you sending the maps? As a single gmapsupp.img including all the different map products, or as 3 gmapsupp.imgs which you rename? Also are you comparing the Montana to an older Garmin like a 60CSX or a newer one like an OR or a 62s?

It worked well, the only thing that was odd was that the Ibycus Topo maps did not come up under their name. I could easily see "BlueCharts" and "Topo Canada" but the title for the Ibycus Topos was a list of map plates that was truncated once it reached a maximum number of characters.

Any advice as to how I can get "Ibycus Topo" to show up? Must be some sort of a tag that the Garmin products have built-in by default...

Edited by JackShaft

How are you sending the maps? As a single gmapsupp.img including all the different map products, or as 3 gmapsupp.imgs which you rename? Also are you comparing the Montana to an older Garmin like a 60CSX or a newer one like an OR or a 62s?

I was sending them all as one big gmapsupp.img, which works fine on an Oregon, a 60Cx or my trusty 276C. I since sent them all to the Montana separately and now it works fine. I actually programmed two GPSr's at the same time; I sent the files directly to the MicroSD chip (in it's SD adapter in my PC's card reader) from a new Garmin GPSMAP 62, then copied the three .img files to the internal memory of my new Montana 650.

I find it odd that you can't send all three map sets to the Montana at once. Kind of a pain in the arse to have to do one at a time but at least it works now.

Edited by JackShaft

It worked well, the only thing that was odd was that the Ibycus Topo maps did not come up under their name. I could easily see "BlueCharts" and "Topo Canada" but the title for the Ibycus Topos was a list of map plates that was truncated once it reached a maximum number of characters.

Any advice as to how I can get "Ibycus Topo" to show up? Must be some sort of a tag that the Garmin products have built-in by default...

I use GMapTool to rename non-Garmin maps.

This forum has a thread by the GMapTool author which describes it: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=11417

Don't bother doing a Google search for GMapTool - you'll end up on a lot of unrelated sites which do nothing but force you to sign up for things you don't need or want.

This forum has a thread by the GMapTool author which describes it: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=11417

Don't bother doing a Google search for GMapTool - you'll end up on a lot of unrelated sites which do nothing but force you to sign up for things you don't need or want.

I'm not going to lie, I read that entire thread twice now and it doesn't make any sense to me. It appears that GMapTool has a DOS or Unix style command line area where you have to insert -l or -j in order to get it to create the type of file you want/need. Is there some sort of an easy command that can just take my previously created whatever.img file and give it a name that a Garmin GPSr will display?

I'm not going to lie, I read that entire thread twice now and it doesn't make any sense to me. It appears that GMapTool has a DOS or Unix style command line area where you have to insert -l or -j in order to get it to create the type of file you want/need. Is there some sort of an easy command that can just take my previously created whatever.img file and give it a name that a Garmin GPSr will display?

It may have a DOS/Unix style command line version but I use the GUI version. Here's a screen shot I made while renaming some maps:

At its most simple, all you need to do is add a check in the "Mapset" box and give it a name, then write it. (Make sure you have backups and don't write to a map which is actually in your gps at the time, just in case.)

GMapTool.jpg

Did you click the word "Website" under his user name to get to the programs? Even though a lot of the programs are Polish, the GMapTool is English.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

OK, I tried this, but it didn't seem to work yet.

I opened up GMapTool, opened the .img file that had the Ibycus Topos in it, filename "Ibycus.img". I checked off the Mapset box under the "Write" tab and put in the name "Ibycus Topo", then I clicked "Write All". I then deleted the original Ibycus.img file from my Montana's internal memory and copied over the new "Ibycus.img" file from my "Test" directory, thinking that the new name would now appear when selecting map products. No dice so far, the old name is still there...?! Am I doing something wrong? I appreciate your time, this is valuable information to me, thanks.

In MapSource there is a box in the lower left where you can change the default listing of segment names to a name of your choice.

I could see this working for a single map plate, but not for a number of plates thrown together to make a whatever.img file

Edit: However, you could be very correct! I am trying this now...

Edited by JackShaft

In MapSource there is a box in the lower left where you can change the default listing of segment names to a name of your choice.

I could see this working for a single map plate, but not for a number of plates thrown together to make a whatever.img file

Edit: However, you could be very correct! I am trying this now...

I did this and it gave me as output was gmapsupp.img as per usual...?

EDIT: With the correct mapset name! Woo hoo! Thanks for giving me a lesson in MapSource that I did not know about before.

Edited by JackShaft

MapSource and BaseCamp always output the data to a file named gmapsupp.img.

Any existing file with that name will be overwritten.

On the new units you can change the filename to somename with a .img extension. Then output data from another mapset and rename.

The older units only recognize a gmapsupp.img file, therefore the data from all the mapsets need to be selected and sent to the GPSr as a single gmapsupp.img file.