Additional Lopgging Requirements

I do understand that ALRs aren't allowed, but I can see that an exception is made for ALRs like "found 80 caches in one day" or "found a cache on 29 Feb", or "done caches on 100 consecutive days" and other conditions that rely on something on the geocaching.com site. So here's my question.

Can the completion of a geocaching.com Challenge be made an ALR?

So it's a bit silly really

You CAN'T have a cache with an ALR saying that you have to wear a pink wig but you CAN have one which says that you can only claim a find if you complete a Challenge which asks you to wear a pink wig!!

:rolleyes:

Mark

I don't think it's silly, surely it's deliberate. This is a rule that was updated on March 12, 2012. It explicitly says that Challenges can be used as part of a "Challenge cache" (which has to have the word "challenge" in the cache name). I think it means that you can have a cache that has any additional logging requirement that you like, provided that ALR is contained in a Challenge, and the ALR is that the Challenge is successfully completed. Obviously, Groundspeak have decided to abolish the ban on ALRs and have chosen this route to do it. Or possibly Groundspeak want to give Challenges a bit of a boost, and have chosen this way to do it.

So, all you cache setters who were wanting to set a cache with Additional Logging Requirements but previously couldn't because of the rules - now you have a way to do it.

Edited by drsolly

You CAN'T have a cache with an ALR saying that you have to wear a pink wig but you CAN have one which says that you can only claim a find if you complete a Challenge which asks you to wear a pink wig!!

Mark

I certainly wouldn't publish the hypothetical cache you've described. That's not a Challenge Cache, but rather a simple ALR based on a predetermined finite list (in this case, a single Geocaching Challenge or a list with one item on it).

I would publish a Challenge Cache with the requirement to "accept and complete any ten Geocaching Challenges in one day", or to "accept and complete any ten Geocaching Challenges at locations in West Mids."

See the difference? If not, then by all means continue with other pink wig hypotheticals. :laughing:

Mark

I certainly wouldn't publish the hypothetical cache you've described. That's not a Challenge Cache, but rather a simple ALR based on a predetermined finite list (in this case, a single Geocaching Challenge or a list with one item on it).

I would publish a Challenge Cache with the requirement to "accept and complete any ten Geocaching Challenges in one day", or to "accept and complete any ten Geocaching Challenges at locations in West Mids."

See the difference? If not, then by all means continue with other pink wig hypotheticals. :laughing:

Yes, I see that.

"A Challenge cache must avoid undue restrictions. Specifically:

Challenge caches based on a specific list of caches, such as caches placed by a specific person or group, will generally not be published."

OK, here's another pink wig hypothetical. How about a Challenge cache that says that you must also complete any Challenge that requires you to wear a pink wig.

That's not a "specific list of caches". The cache page might include a list of Challenges that involve wearing a pink wig, as a helpful aid, but would say "but any Challenge that involves wearing a pink wig would qualify".

The cache page might include a list of Challenges that involve wearing a pink wig, as a helpful aid, but would say "but any Challenge that involves wearing a pink wig would qualify".

Surely a cache that required the wearing of a "pink wig" wouldn't be published as a "Challenge cache" ? (or at all)

The cache page might include a list of Challenges that involve wearing a pink wig, as a helpful aid, but would say "but any Challenge that involves wearing a pink wig would qualify".

Surely a cache that required the wearing of a "pink wig" wouldn't be published as a "Challenge cache" ? (or at all)

No. But you can have a Challenge (not a Challenge cache, but a Challenge) that says "Wear a pink wig while standing outside Amersham Station". You might recollect my "Amersham Station" series of challenges, that involved such activities as kissing a frog outside the station, standing on a brick, doing a silly walk, making a noise like a cuckoo and many other fun and challenging activities (sadly, these have now been archived, I don't know why).

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/CX421D_Amersham_wig

And, according to the rules, you can have a Challenge Cache that has as an additional requirement, "Do any challenge that involves wearing a pink wig". And since there is at least one (see above, there may be others, I haven't searched), the Challenge Cache is possible.

Of course, Groundspeak might change the rules at some time in the future to disallow this kind of thing. But as far as I can see, it's within the rules right now.