Audible cache

I want to hide a night cache near here which would include an audible beacon (digital alarm clock). The alarm would sound at set time each night and again ten minutes and twenty minute later so that the seeker got three chances to locate the origin of the chime before having to give up and return another night. I'm just wondering if this sort of thing has been done already. Difficulty level would be set quite high to reflect the time constraint on seeking the cache.

I want to hide a night cache near here which would include an audible beacon (digital alarm clock). The alarm would sound at set time each night and again ten minutes and twenty minute later so that the seeker got three chances to locate the origin of the chime before having to give up and return another night. I'm just wondering if this sort of thing has been done already. Difficulty level would be set quite high to reflect the time constraint on seeking the cache.

Sounds like a cool idea.

Just relaize that if the listed coordinates get you close enough to hear the alarm, there's a good chnace people will be able to find the alarm during the day, and not do it as a night cache.

Sounds like a cool idea.

Just relaize that if the listed coordinates get you close enough to hear the alarm, there's a good chnace people will be able to find the alarm during the day, and not do it as a night cache.

I agree. I might try the idea myself. If someone is good enough to find it during the daytime, that's fine! They deserve the smilie.

I realise that people might look for it during the day so it would have to be well hidden but I think in the still of night in the woods it could be heard from quite a way off so good luck to them. I have yet to do the sound checks.

It sounds like you're planning to set the coordinates some distance away from the actual cache location. You may need to make it a mystery cache.

I'm not fond of the idea that cachers would have to be there at a specific time of day. The concept of an audible cache doesn't bother me, though. I had one that was a remote doorbell. The coordinates took you to a container that had a pair of remote pushbuttons. You had to walk around pushing them until you got near enough to the final for the doorbell to chime, and then follow your ears to the cache.

I realise that people might look for it during the day so it would have to be well hidden but I think in the still of night in the woods it could be heard from quite a way off so good luck to them. I have yet to do the sound checks.

Just make sure that it isn't audible from anywhere muggles could conceivably be at the time it goes off. As a muggle, I'd get extremely curious if I heard an alarm clock going off out in the woods.

if the alarm only went off at a couple certain times could make for some intresting encounters with other cachers in the area ALL at the samr time looking LOL. half a dozen cachers or groups all converging on a cache at midnight running into each other in the dark. This could be like a keystone kops kind of moment ( or FTF) and worth having a video camera near by. ROFLMAO

if the alarm only went off at a couple certain times could make for some intresting encounters with other cachers in the area ALL at the samr time looking LOL. half a dozen cachers or groups all converging on a cache at midnight running into each other in the dark. This could be like a keystone kops kind of moment ( or FTF) and worth having a video camera near by. ROFLMAO

That would be pretty amazing. Also, how come I never find these cool caches?

Big thanks for the positive feedback folks. Yes the cache would involve finding some coords as the point at which the alarm could be heard would be at a fork in the path in the woods from where you could here the alarm. The placement is remote and very slim chance that a muggle would be around at midnight. Even if they were I suspect the sound would be such a surprise as to have them leave rather sharpish. Going to do the sound tests now. Thanks again for the comments.

Big thanks for the positive feedback folks. Yes the cache would involve finding some coords as the point at which the alarm could be heard would be at a fork in the path in the woods from where you could here the alarm. The placement is remote and very slim chance that a muggle would be around at midnight. Even if they were I suspect the sound would be such a surprise as to have them leave rather sharpish. Going to do the sound tests now. Thanks again for the comments.

Another thought, if wasn't already mentioned. Are people allowed to be in the area of the cache after dark? Here in thestates most parks and state forests are off limits after sunset.

This cache in Catalonia http://www.geocachin...97-02fa76948143 rings every evening at 20.00h. Haven't done it yet but seems real fun, people are going in groups of 20 and spreading in the woods in order to be able to hear it. :D

What happens when daylight saving time begins? :P

Bi-annual maintenance plan B)

Thanks for the link Glory Hunters. I know little Spanish but that is the right idea. We hid the box and alarm last weekend. I'm now figuring on two alarms - one in the tree and one in the cache (to chime slightly later). Should be fun to do.

This cache in Catalonia http://www.geocachin...97-02fa76948143 rings every evening at 20.00h. Haven't done it yet but seems real fun, people are going in groups of 20 and spreading in the woods in order to be able to hear it. :D

What happens when daylight saving time begins? :P

Bi-annual maintenance plan B)

Thanks for the link Glory Hunters. I know little Spanish but that is the right idea. We hid the box and alarm last weekend. I'm now figuring on two alarms - one in the tree and one in the cache (to chime slightly later). Should be fun to do.

It's specified in the cache description :) still have to go find it but looks real fun. Good luck with yours :-D

There is a cache located close to where I live that does this exact thing exept instead of an alarm it is a voice recording that you have to use in order to locate the location of the cache. the name of the caches is midnight in the garden of good and evil. the recording only goes off at midnight and a few minutes after midnight.

http://coord.info/GCT3V0

Wow this one is even better! the problem I see with this one is the cost (both money and maintenance...), and what about the batteries? I guess they live close and can perform maintenance really often... but still a great cache!