changing cords if they're wrong..

teamgeosight

select "update coordinates"

AND click Add a Waypoint to the log. You'll find that option below the Comments box, in a gray pane of Log Options.

This will force the page to reload, with the field for the new waypoint. You MUST click "add a waypoint to the log" and you must put the new cache coords into the waypoints field.

Typing them into a "log" comment field will not change the coords on the cache page. It'll just be coords in a log.

Edited by palmetto

Take a look at the Help Center, where so many of these questions are answered:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=1

Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship → Editing a Published Listing: Minor Change

6.10. Editing a Published Listing: Minor Change

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=201

Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship → Editing a Published Listing: Major Change.

6.11. Editing a Published Listing: Major Change.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=76

B.

Kidnapping the post

I have tried all the suggestions and get an error message that the move is to far (138 feet) What is the next step to correcting the problem.

Are you sure it's 138 feet, or was that a typo in your post? There's no reason why the system should reject a move of that distance. On the other hand, if the move is more than 528 feet, it will reject the change and you'll have to contact a reviewer to have the change made.

Kidnapping the post

I have tried all the suggestions and get an error message that the move is to far (138 feet) What is the next step to correcting the problem.

Are you sure it's 138 feet, or was that a typo in your post? There's no reason why the system should reject a move of that distance. On the other hand, if the move is more than 528 feet, it will reject the change and you'll have to contact a reviewer to have the change made.

138 feet per google maps I will email geocaching.com folks and hope they can fix it.

Thanks for replying

Kidnapping the post

138 feet per google maps I will email geocaching.com folks and hope they can fix it.

Thanks for replying

There's probably a typo in the coordinates you submitted, then. Like I said, there's no reason why a move of 138 feet should fail.

Kidnapping the post

What cache is it??

I have changed coordinates in the past, but things have changed a bit since. However - even if you move coordinates 50 feet, it could now be TOO CLOSE to another cache. Perhaps the system flagged it as an error because its too close to another cache location (or even a puzzle final). I don't know for sure without looking at the map.

When cache coordinates are changed, the reviewers have to APPROVE it ...and if it gets approved, they are the ones who change the coordinates on the cache page. That's how it was last summer....

Kidnapping the post

What cache is it??

I have changed coordinates in the past, but things have changed a bit since. However - even if you move coordinates 50 feet, it could now be TOO CLOSE to another cache. Perhaps the system flagged it as an error because its too close to another cache location (or even a puzzle final). I don't know for sure without looking at the map.

When cache coordinates are changed, the reviewers have to APPROVE it ...and if it gets approved, they are the ones who change the coordinates on the cache page. That's how it was last summer....

I've changed several of my caches recently with a log entry. Always has been that way, no need for a reviewer. One change was around 125 feet. I'm not positive, but I don't think proximity plays a role.

Kidnapping the post

What cache is it??

I've changed several of my caches recently with a log entry. Always has been that way, no need for a reviewer. One change was around 125 feet. I'm not positive, but I don't think proximity plays a role.

Just a few months ago, someone published a new cache not too far from where I live. I put the cache on my Watch List, since the cache looked intriguing and I was interested in reading the logs as they were posted.

Within an hour of publication, the owner changed the coordinates, moving the cache about 500 feet. He was able to accomplish this without any reviewer intervention.

Within minutes, he moved the cache another 500 feet or so in the same general direction, again without reviewer intervention.

At this point, he also changed the cache description, mentioning that the cache was now at the top of an abandoned tower, directly above an existing, active cache at the base of the tower. He wrote that the location was so cool it simply deserved to have two caches. When I clicked the "Find all nearby caches" link, the new cache was now about 5 feet (horizontally, of course) from another active cache.

*sigh*

Somehow or another, within a few hours the reviewer got wind of the subterfuge and immediately archived the cache for violating the proximity guideline.

Bottom line, unless they've changed something in the meantime a cache owner can change a cache's coordinates by any distance under the 528-foot limit directly from the cache page.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I've seen you post this before, and that may be somewhat true for changes over 528 ft/161 m, but it doesn't work that way for all changes.

For moves under 528 ft/161 m, you can submit an "Update Coordinates" log and the change will be made instantly, even if that change will put it too close to another cache. The reviewer does not need to change it for you. The reviewer will be notified of the change and will check it out when they get a chance to make sure your new location is acceptable. If it is, nothing else will happen, since the change has already occurred. If there's a problem, they will disable the cache and get you to rectify the problem.

For moves over 528 ft/161 m, you will need to contact the reviewer directly. Even if you attempt to submit an "Update Coordinates" log, the system will reject it and the change won't be made. If the reviewer finds the new coordinates acceptable, they will make the change.

Somehow or another, within a few hours the reviewer got wind of the subterfuge and immediately archived the cache for violating the proximity guideline.

Reviewers get notified of coordinate changes for exactly this reason. Let this be a lesson to all: Don't game the system. The reviewers see all and know all, and they don't take kindly to people trying to circumvent the system.

Proximity does play a role. At least, with our Reviewer...it does.

Any changes made to a cache still need to adhere to the 528feet ruling. If coordinates are changed and those new coordinates are closer than 528 feet from another cache, the changes won't be allowed.

I'm not exactly sure what happens if the new coordinates do not meet the criteria... But I do know, if it does 'pass' (so to speak), the Reviewer themselves will change the coordinates on the cache page.