My Pet Peeve

deb3day

Do people like to look stupid or are there just a lot of cachers who don't know how to spell? I really get frustrated by poorly written cache descriptions with multiple words spelled wrong, no capitalization or punctuation and just plain bad grammar. I'm not an English major or anything but it sure makes a lot of cachers look like hicks when you see these poorly done write ups. Am I the only one that gets annoyed by this? How hard is it to proof read your description before submitting them?

End of rant............

Edited by deb3day

Do people like to look stupid or are there just a lot of cachers who don't know how to spell? I really get frustrated by poorly written cache descriptions with multiple words spelled wrong, no capitalization or punctuation and just plan plain bad grammar. I'm not an English major or anything but it sure makes a lot of cachers look like hicks when you see these poorly done write ups. Am I the only one that gets annoyed by this? How hard is it to proof read your description before submitting them?

End of rant............

I don't know. How hard is it? :P

It doesn't really bother me. There are people from all walks of life and varied educational backgrounds playing this game. There are also children, some of whom publish their own caches. We are dealing with a broad cross-section of the population. Poor spelling and bad grammar come along with that.

Do people like to look stupid or are there just a lot of cachers who don't know how to spell? I really get frustrated by poorly written cache descriptions with multiple words spelled wrong, no capitalization or punctuation and just plan plain bad grammar. I'm not an English major or anything but it sure makes a lot of cachers look like hicks when you see these poorly done write ups. Am I the only one that gets annoyed by this? How hard is it to proof read your description before submitting them?

End of rant............

I don't know. How hard is it? :P

It doesn't really bother me. There are people from all walks of life and varied educational backgrounds playing this game. There are also children, some of whom publish their own caches. We are dealing with a broad cross-section of the population. Poor spelling and bad grammar come along with that.

LOL, you caught me. Duly noted, but promptly corrected.

Do people like to look stupid or are there just a lot of cachers who don't know how to spell? I really get frustrated by poorly written cache descriptions with multiple words spelled wrong, no capitalization or punctuation and just plain bad grammar. I'm not an English major or anything but it sure makes a lot of cachers look like hicks when you see these poorly done write ups. Am I the only one that gets annoyed by this? How hard is it to proof read your description before submitting them?

End of rant............

english isn't always 1st lang and grammar which sucks on lang converters

As long as you have coordinates - that's all that matters.

Everything else - the grammer, the spelling, the poor containers, the bad coordinates, the non-maintained caches, the bad locations, the wet logs, the full logs, the bad swag, the broken containers, and the stupid hiding places.....

You gotta let it go and enjoy the hunt.

The temporary frustration of some caches is forgotten..... while the excitement & joy of other caches is remembered for a lifetime.

It wouldn't be so bad except that's it's been my experience that a sloppily written description also indicates a sloppily placed cache - poorly placed, poor container, bad coordinates, and poorly maintained cache.

What I would do is read the logs, (if it's brand new I'd watch it) to see if my suspicions are correct. Then I'd add it to the ignore list.

You'd be extremely bothered by this cache - GCC8

Oldest cache in N.J.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gcc8

This (and all of its grammer & spelling) is Geocaching HISTORY. Fix the grammer & spelling and you won't be able to separate it from all the rest.

Funny you linked to a Cache_Ninja cache. I literally logged an 11 year overdue DNF on one of his long archived caches here in Maryland just about 2 hours ago.

Speaking of bad grammar, my grammar was the WORST! She cussed, smoked, drank. I miss her.

I have to smile at this one (laughing seems inappropriate). Mine never cuss, smoke, or imbibes, but I miss her all the same.

As for atrocious spelling by a native speaker, as long as I can still make out what it is trying to say, I just ignore it. Life's too short and all that.

And to the OP : it's called Muphry's Law. And that's not an accidental typo of "Murphy's". Read it, it's funny :)

End of rant............

At least there is an attempt at a cache description! Many times I've come across cache without anything written at all! No reason, no purpose, no story about the cache or it's location. It's becoming the norm out here to just throw out a cache...because.

You'd be extremely bothered by this cache - GCC8

Oldest cache in N.J.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gcc8

This (and all of its grammer & spelling) is Geocaching HISTORY. Fix the grammer & spelling and you won't be able to separate it from all the rest.

Ah. One of the originals. But probably not a good example of bad grammar and spelling. That was done deliberately, and was a major part of his caching identity. Sorry that I only found two of his caches. Yes. I do need to go find gerbiL cacHe!

Personally, I blame spell checkers - my spelling was quite good until every ding-dong application tried to help me out. On top of that, spell checkers often accepted completely wrong, but correctly spelled words, so I'd look like an embezzle whenever I typed.

A visual dyslexic and sorta-smart phone user.

Often, spell checkers make it worse than if I did't concentrate. :laughing:

Whats even worse in my opinion is when a cache description lacks a description... There is a person in our area that has no more then a sentence in there whole cache page description, not even a long sentence at that.

I have a few of those however they're puzzles. theres just a pic on the page.