Help! Iphone Apps "Geocaching" or "MotionX-GPS" - which do I trust?

Samril

Hi all. I am new to Geocaching and I am trying to find a cache. The app on my iphone 3GS that I am using seems to point me to something that looks like the cache is just off of the road. I am using the "Geocaching" app. But when I put the same coordinates into "MotionX-GPS" app it seems to point me very clearly much deeper in the woods! I have been twice to this location and can't figure out where I should be looking! Any help appreciated!

Samril

From what I've researched here briefly (searched the forum) - it seems the 3GS has very very poor GPS accuracy.

Double check your coordinates that you've inputted into MotionX.

You could get online (at home on your computer) and input the coordinates in google maps - using this format: "cache@N XX° XX.XXX W XXX° XX.XXX"

This might give you a better idea of the approximate location (near the road or in the woods)

Hi all. I am new to Geocaching and I am trying to find a cache. The app on my iphone 3GS that I am using seems to point me to something that looks like the cache is just off of the road. I am using the "Geocaching" app. But when I put the same coordinates into "MotionX-GPS" app it seems to point me very clearly much deeper in the woods! I have been twice to this location and can't figure out where I should be looking! Any help appreciated!

Samril

How far apart are the two locations? If they are 15 feet (5 meters) different then it is effectively the same spot. If they are 200 feet (62 meters) different then you need to search at one location (I would start at the easier one) and if not found, try the other.

Austin

Samril

How far apart are the two locations? If they are 15 feet (5 meters) different then it is effectively the same spot. If they are 200 feet (62 meters) different then you need to search at one location (I would start at the easier one) and if not found, try the other.

Austin

+1

Knowing how far we're talking about will help understand what the root of the issue might be.

Oftentimes GPS programs will get different readings, but only by a measure of their current accuracy. One may have a 9ft accuracy, and the other is getting a 40ft. Also, be aware that some phone's GPSers aren't as good as others at getting readings in difficult circumstances. Tree cover, tall buildings, etc, can mess with some phone more than others.

Make sure that the settings for both applications are set to use the most location-finding processes, like your internal GPS, and other location services from your phone carrier. With all options activated, you can see quicker satellite acquisition, as well as improved accuracy.