Abandoned Categories?

In my data dabbling, I realized that with some effort, I could survey the Officer List for each category and identify categories with “inactive” officers or even those with just one active officer. Not that I’m volunteering, just imagining...

Well, I finally ground out this analysis. Here’s a summary of findings that I thought to be interesting.

As of November 1, 2014, of the 1078 groups/categories, 934 have had an officer login in the past 3 days. Not to say that their submissions for approval are up to date, but some officer could have reviewed waiting waymarks.

65 categories have not had an officer login in the past 10 days.

28 categories have not had an officer login in the past month.

17 categories have not had an officer login in the past two months.

9 categories have not had an officer login in the past three months.

1 category has not had an officer login in the past year.

The vast majority (1024) of categories have 3, 4, 5, or 6 officers. Libraries has 19 officers!

413 categories are managed by three officers.

388 categories are managed by four officers.

Where's the category managerial power rest?

One fourth of all categories are managed by 9 waymarkers.

One third of all categories are managed by 16 waymarkers.

One half of all categories are managed by 39 waymarkers.

For additional details, there is a simple web page at Group Analysis.

In my data dabbling, I realized that with some effort, I could survey the Officer List for each category and identify categories with "inactive" officers or even those with just one active officer. Not that I'm volunteering, just imagining...

Well, I finally ground out this analysis. Here's a summary of findings that I thought to be interesting.

As of November 1, 2014, of the 1078 groups/categories, 934 have had an officer login in the past 3 days. Not to say that their submissions for approval are up to date, but some officer could have reviewed waiting waymarks.

65 categories have not had an officer login in the past 10 days.

28 categories have not had an officer login in the past month.

17 categories have not had an officer login in the past two months.

9 categories have not had an officer login in the past three months.

1 category has not had an officer login in the past year.

The vast majority (1024) of categories have 3, 4, 5, or 6 officers. Libraries has 19 officers!

413 categories are managed by three officers.

388 categories are managed by four officers.

Where's the category managerial power rest?

One fourth of all categories are managed by 9 waymarkers.

One third of all categories are managed by 16 waymarkers.

One half of all categories are managed by 39 waymarkers.

Thanks for doing the number crunching. These are interesting numbers.

In my data dabbling, .....

DougK What is the last column "ACCUM" denoting in your Group Analysis?

It's an accumulation total of the groups in the column to the left. For example, the number of Groups (approved Categories) managed by 3, 4, 5, or 6 officers is 1024, the sum of 413, 388, 167 and 56.

Add "Donated Engraved Bricks and Pavers" to the list too. I've been waiting for an approval for three months, then contacted the offices, but haven't gotten any answers yet.

There are three officers in this group, the last time, they have been online at Waymarking was on 9/23/2014, 4/23/2013 (almost two years ago!) and 2/6/2014 respectively.

There has to be a way for Groundspeak to demote inactive officers and to replace them with someone who is willing to do do the job. A group leader, who has not checked on his category in three and a half months is either too incapacitated or otherwise preoccupied or has simply lost interest in Waymarking.

In my data dabbling, .....

DougK What is the last column "ACCUM" denoting in your Group Analysis?

It's an accumulation total of the groups in the column to the left. For example, the number of Groups (approved Categories) managed by 3, 4, 5, or 6 officers is 1024, the sum of 413, 388, 167 and 56.

Got it.

Thanks for the stats and the explanation.

I keep saying it, the way around is one of three ways, if GS wants to spend 30 minutes tweaking the code.

1) Tentative approval after 7 days, meaning if the waymark hasn't been declined or approved, it is given tentative approval which means it shows up and people can log it as a find. Owners and officers would have the authority to decline or accept the waypoint afterwards.

--and/or--

2) After 7 days if no action is taken, the waymark goes up to peer approval. This probably would take some coding and GS has made it clear they are investing no more resources into the game so this is the least likely scenario.

--and/or--

3) Global moderators/approvers. They would have the authority on their own to approve a waymark. This is one I am least in favor of as already too few people control way too much of this game as it is now.

I keep saying it, the way around is one of three ways, if GS wants to spend 30 minutes tweaking the code.

1) Tentative approval after 7 days, meaning if the waymark hasn't been declined or approved, it is given tentative approval which means it shows up and people can log it as a find. Owners and officers would have the authority to decline or accept the waypoint afterwards.

14 days. Apart from a longer time frame I agree with the suggestion! :)

--and/or--

2) After 7 days if no action is taken, the waymark goes up to peer approval. This probably would take some coding and GS has made it clear they are investing no more resources into the game so this is the least likely scenario.

--and/or--

3) Global moderators/approvers. They would have the authority on their own to approve a waymark. This is one I am least in favor of as already too few people control way too much of this game as it is now.

1) Approval after 7 days. If the category managers aren't doing their job they could hardly complain.

2) If the category managers aren't doing their job then they probably wouldn't bother with the peer review process.

3) Appoint active waymarkers who have the runs on the board when it comes to timely decisions. Timely to be 7 days or less. Those waymarkers who manage 10 or more categories already be ineligible for the Global moderators/approvers role as their time fully committed.

The hole problem is beginning with this one:

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=ff6c3e35-bf2e-4dd5-9a66-d6168bba0c53

This is a big problem and must be deleted.

I found one a few weeks ago, look at my first post what i did:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=329790

Set up by 2 unknown Waymarkers and they found 2 Officers. And then nothing happens for almost a year.

Why did not the 2 well-known Waymarkers (who like to be an Officer) picked it up to help them and set up the group ?

I did, ok its a valid one on Waymarking, but havent i see this one it will be sleeping today. (Peer review is coming soon)

There must be a minimum of posting Waymarks before you can start a group/category as a leader.

Maybe there must be found a second leader who is a good Waymarker and both has all permissions.

The second leader needs no voting for a 66% to dismiss someone else but a 50 % or in a bad case 0 %

Click: your out of this game.

And all very good Waymarkers are not good Leaders.

I found another group, a very very very interesting and valid one, sleeping since 11/2013.

Contact the leader for 2 weeks ago, who logs in every day, but no answer.

Is it the leader ? Officers who are sleeping too and waiting till .....Christmas 2018 ?

I can't wait to set it up. ( but not as a Officer 2)

Edited by dreamhummie

2) If the category managers aren't doing their job then they probably wouldn't bother with the peer review process.

Rethinking that one, we would probably end up with dozens if not 100's of new waymarks going up for peer review.

I think group owners can already delete out waymarks they don't want. One group owner in one category once he got control started deleting out dozens of waymarks they didn't either agree with or didn't follow the rules to a tee.

I think your right, 7 days, automatic approval. If nonsense and spamming start showing up, GS can take measures.

To me, the problem is Groundspeak's NEGLECT of Waymarking. It's not like it needs a full time code writer or IT guy but maybe just one lackey who would spend a little of time, even 2 to 3 hours a week to pay attention to concerns.

One thing I don't understand is a Group Founder, and Group Leader not having Posted, or Visited any of the waymarks in that particular category. Being from DownUnder I'm thinking of a Benchmark type category called Australian Trig Points ('17K' on the Grid). The current Leader has not logged in for 5 (FIVE) years, and unfortunately one of the 'Officer 3' waymarkers died early this year. With only 300+ waymarks in that category I had suggested that one of the frequent Posters (bucketeer) be submitted to Officer. I think he has posted x 80 of those listed, and he remains active.

As Trig Points are a passion of mine (going back to the 1980s) I first tried to Post a couple back in 2007 soon after starting caching, but when they weren't 'Published' I gave up on Waymarking until recently clearing out all the local caches. It seems the process of getting your Posts on-line could be tidied up. I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, as I recognise that all the category reviewers are volunteers, but it would be nice to have a more timely and regular check by the Officers in whatever category is the slowest. I think it was 6 months for a 'Bicycle Shops' one to published - no record, but it made it very hard as I was hoping to be able to use for a particular geocaching Challenge.

As currently I seem to be the most frequent poster for Australian trigs I don't think it acceptable to think of being an Officer for that, but if anyone knows of how to get onto the 'Seventh-day Adventist Churches' category as an Officer I wouldn't mind helping on reviewing/voting on those from outside of Australia.

Reviewers, PLEASE don't be disheartened in you great volunteer work. But try to be active in it at least.

One thing I don't understand is a Group Founder, and Group Leader not having Posted, or Visited any of the waymarks in that particular category. Being from DownUnder I'm thinking of a Benchmark type category called Australian Trig Points ('17K' on the Grid). The current Leader has not logged in for 5 (FIVE) years, and unfortunately one of the 'Officer 3' waymarkers died early this year. With only 300+ waymarks in that category I had suggested that one of the frequent Posters (bucketeer) be submitted to Officer. I think he has posted x 80 of those listed, and he remains active.

As Trig Points are a passion of mine (going back to the 1980s) I first tried to Post a couple back in 2007 soon after starting caching, but when they weren't 'Published' I gave up on Waymarking until recently clearing out all the local caches. It seems the process of getting your Posts on-line could be tidied up. I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, as I recognise that all the category reviewers are volunteers, but it would be nice to have a more timely and regular check by the Officers in whatever category is the slowest. I think it was 6 months for a 'Bicycle Shops' one to published - no record, but it made it very hard as I was hoping to be able to use for a particular geocaching Challenge.

As currently I seem to be the most frequent poster for Australian trigs I don't think it acceptable to think of being an Officer for that, but if anyone knows of how to get onto the 'Seventh-day Adventist Churches' category as an Officer I wouldn't mind helping on reviewing/voting on those from outside of Australia.

Reviewers, PLEASE don't be disheartened in you great volunteer work. But try to be active in it at least.

I'm a US Benchmarks officer, but I wouldn't mind helping out (probably the closest I'll get to finding a Trigpoint there myself ;) - I joined the group...

Officers in the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, Assemblies of God, and Seventh Day Adventists seem to be doing the Rip Van Winkel thing.

According to this post, Groundspeak is periodically checking for aging waymarks. Anyone know how long you have to wait before an aging waymark grabs Groundspeak's attention?

An what about ignored offers to take over leadership of the category or help out by becoming an officer.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=333577&view=findpost&p=5528027

Officers in the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, Assemblies of God, and Seventh Day Adventists seem to be doing the Rip Van Winkel thing.

Took quite some time for me to get an AOG submission cleared. A direct e-mail to the group leader never garnered a reply. Lone_Gunman really has been alone in this one.

Edited by QuarrellaDeVil

The Carousels category seems to be abandoned.

Two of three officers are missing in action since years. The last one was not logged in since three months.

Open enrollment is OFF.

Is one of your submissions waiting in the carousels category?

Yes! I'm wating since more than 2 months to get it approved. Maybe I should write to Checkmark or Waywizard.

Carousels is one of the categories that are only checked every 3 or four months or so. These are even worse than the completely abandoned categories, because they are not so easy to take over, and the officers really think that it is enough what they do.

This is why they need to implement a 7 day tentative approval plan, meaning if you submit a waymark and no one has acted on it, it gets automatically approved after 7 days but the officers have the option to change that if they log in to the group.

But in saying that, I know this game is defunct by Groundspeak and they have no plans to add or enhance the game, just keep the server running.

This is why they need to implement a 7 day tentative approval plan, meaning if you submit a waymark and no one has acted on it, it gets automatically approved after 7 days but the officers have the option to change that if they log in to the group.

But in saying that, I know this game is defunct by Groundspeak and they have no plans to add or enhance the game, just keep the server running.

We don't need such a plan, the system is running fine. Only a few categories need a little bit longer. 638,285 waymarks worldwide don't sound defunct to me. :antenna:

The Gravediggers group that handles Abandoned Cemeteries may have been abandoned.

Leader has not logged in for over a year. Only two other officers who are not gung-ho Waymarkers. One hasn't logged in since July. I don't know why, but it seems typical of these dying groups that they have open enrollment OFF -- as if to deliberately cause it to die, instead of getting fresh blood. ("Take my dollies and go home"?)

I've sent separate emails to the Leader (who I often see posting in the Geocaching forums) and to the more active of the two officers several days ago. No response yet.

The Gravediggers group that handles Abandoned Cemeteries may have been abandoned.

Leader has not logged in for over a year. Only two other officers who are not gung-ho Waymarkers. One hasn't logged in since July. I don't know why, but it seems typical of these dying groups that they have open enrollment OFF -- as if to deliberately cause it to die, instead of getting fresh blood. ("Take my dollies and go home"?)

I've sent separate emails to the Leader (who I often see posting in the Geocaching forums) and to the more active of the two officers several days ago. No response yet.

Not abandoned. One officer is reviewing all 10-20 days. Maybe not the fastest category but still okay. No waiting Waymarks at the moment. Another active Waymarker would be good. I wrote a mail to Nate.

Not abandoned. One officer is reviewing all 10-20 days. Maybe not the fastest category but still okay. No waiting Waymarks at the moment. Another active Waymarker would be good. I wrote a mail to Nate.

Well, now it is open for regular membership, so I'm in!

Abandoned Cemeteries are one of those love/hate things. I hate to see the final resting place of the remains of our ancestors being sadly neglected. But somehow there's a bit of a thrill when you stumble on one of these melancholy places.

Well, now it is open for regular membership, so I'm in!

Abandoned Cemeteries are one of those love/hate things. I hate to see the final resting place of the remains of our ancestors being sadly neglected. But somehow there's a bit of a thrill when you stumble on one of these melancholy places.

But we have to think about what's accepted lately. If we read the category description Nate wrote long ago this was a place for old cemeteries somewhere in the nowhere. The last accepted Waymarks look like normal cemeteries with old tombstones. What should we do? Maybe we should open a new thread to discuss it.

I am just looking at the Holocaust Group. The group leader's last login appears to have been in 2013. The latest login of the other officer's appears to be in October of 2015.

Can we consider this category abandoned?

The last approved waymarks in this category are from late December, so something with the last login dates must be wrong. And I had waymarks approved by Math Teacher not so long ago in other categories.

Help needed.

We have 2 pending in Grange Halls, 1 pending in Childhood Homes and 18 pending in Unique Steeples. I have resubmitted on numerous occasions, and have written several times requesting a review.

Almost all of the Unique Steeples have been resubmitted and several emails were sent to the leader and officers. Even have offered to help as an officer, with no response. If you need links I will post them here, if required. I did post the links on the Dormant Category thread. Almost all are pending two weeks or longer.

Thanks.

Edited by BK-Hunters

I think we should not wonder, why we have less officers who review more than ca.5 categories or stay away from reviewing Waymarks.

For me, one reason is threads like this one, along with the related private emails, calling out people for perceived delays. What's the rush? When there are FTF races for newly-published waymarks, I might be more motivated. When Groundspeak makes pocket queries available for waymarks, or includes them in an overall "find count," I might be more motivated. Instead, we see published waymarks languish for months or years before their first visit, and site development all but abandoned.

My solution has been to resign from the officer group once it's called out in the forums, excepting a small number of groups for which I was the original founder or co-founder.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

This forum post stated in 2012 and the problem is still unresolved.

Now what?

Metro2, sure understand about the vote limbo.

When faced with this same dilemma, I contacted each leader/officers of the group with a request to complete the vote on the waymark in question. I do provide a link to the waymark and the date it was posted. (Which most likely was about the time a vote was called)

It is usually a reasonable response time for the waymark to be approved or denied. The most common being it is approved.

If nothing happens within a week to 10 days, I would start the process again.

44 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

offered to become a reviewer, but received no answer

We have also sent requests to leaders of what appears to be abandoned categories, with no response either. 

This is a highly debatable topic, with strong opinions about whether to promote new leaders and or officers in dormant categories.

I strongly agree that new leaders/officers need to be promoted. 

Chuck the old excuses: He/She created the category, it was their vision. So what? 

More importantly, where are they now? "They" obviously are not reviewing submissions. Or this topic would not keep resurfacing on the forum.

Barb of BK-Hunters

Edited by BK-Hunters