quick bridge question

sholomar

One of my caches didn't get approved because it was under a bridge.. here's what it said

" A cache may be disabled or archived if...

Cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure including and not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, military bases, schools, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

Please find a more appropriate place to hide your cache. In general caches should be far enough away from a bridge so that a cacher searching for the cache will not mistakenly start to search the structure or any of it's supports."

However there are caches along bridges all over the place out here. Heck, there is one located right next to a dam. Is this a new rule and the old caches just got grandfathered in? Can they not be hidden around any bridge?

The guideline specifically mentioning "highway bridges" has been in place since November 2003. Prior to that there was a general reference to "caches hidden under public structures deemed to be targets for terrorist attacks."

Yes, there are lots of caches hidden on, under or near bridges. Bridges on lonely rural roads aren't high-risk locations. Neither is a bridge near a pulloff for a popular fishing spot. Or a historic covered bridge. Or an ordinary two-lane bridge in the suburbs. But, at some point a reviewer will reach a conclusion that a particular bridge is a "highway bridge" and/or presents high risk of a law enforcement encounter, making it unwise to apply the usual presumption of adequate permission.

I am sure that, if you reply to your reviewer with your permission contact details (name and phone number or email address of the person granting permission), the reviewer will make an exception to the listing guideline. If he or she does not, I would encourage you to write to appeals @ Groundspeak.com.

It is often a matter of perception. Many old rural dirt road bridges around here have caches on or nearby. But I know of one local cacher that got denied when he placed one underneath a state highway bridge (2 lane highway). There is no clear cut admin definition of where to draw the line but some familiarity with the area does at least help the reviewer make a decision.

As stated - appeal if you believe you have a good case.

Good advice given already, but rather than concentrate on the "what not to do" and the why... think of this first... If you were to see strange activity (you can define strange, if you want) under or on a bridge or other item of infrastructure, just what are your first thoughts going to be? Remember -- most folks that see strange activity ARE NOT geocachers.

Geocachers themselves are a strange lot, so when you think of placing a hide, think first about what a non-cacher is going to conjure up about seeing people come and go from a particular spot or area. Most likely things like bomb, drug drop/stash, and the like -- mostly negative stuff.

If that doesn't peak your interest, consider the old, balding guy or a group of older teens checking out an elementary school playground, looking at, in, and around the playground equipment and tables.

The guidelines (or 'rules' as some call them) are in place partly to avoid the perception of some wrongdoing.

thanks for the replies. :) I will revise the description a bit to indicate it's a infrequently used dirt road and appeal. It's also down in a valley so it's unlikely anyone from anywhere is going to see anything unless they are out boating on the lake, then they'll just think someone is fishing from that spot. I'd never put a cache in a super busy area just because I don't like looking for them around lots of muggles myself. :)

Edited by sholomar

Good advice given already, but rather than concentrate on the "what not to do" and the why... think of this first... If you were to see strange activity (you can define strange, if you want) under or on a bridge or other item of infrastructure, just what are your first thoughts going to be?

At every bridge within 10 miles of my home, I am going to assume someone in, on, or around a bridge is either fishing or scouting a place to fish. Someone walking along the road with a baby stroller would be more unusual than someone poking around a bridge.

Austin

Good advice given already, but rather than concentrate on the "what not to do" and the why... think of this first... If you were to see strange activity (you can define strange, if you want) under or on a bridge or other item of infrastructure, just what are your first thoughts going to be?

At every bridge within 10 miles of my home, I am going to assume someone in, on, or around a bridge is either fishing or scouting a place to fish. Someone walking along the road with a baby stroller would be more unusual than someone poking around a bridge.

Austin

Also consider what a bridge inspector might think if he encounters a cache. Several caches have been discovered by bridge inspectors who called the police, who in turn shut down the bridge and called the bomb squad.

Austin

Also consider what a bridge inspector might think if he encounters a cache. Several caches have been discovered by bridge inspectors who called the police, who in turn shut down the bridge and called the bomb squad.

That is a consideration anywhere. Caches found deep in the woods have been blown up by bomb squads.

Austin