Reordering Geocache Finds List

T!mberwolf

For my list of geocache finds, I notice a couple are out of order. When I'm posting multiple finds for the same day, I post the first cache found that day, then second and so on; however, I noticed in a couple of instances the cache order does not reflect the order in which I entered the finds, consequently my finds are out of order in 2 instances. Is there a way to fix this? Among other things it has messed up my finds milestones, making them inaccurate. On a day with 2 finds I deleted the entry that was erroneously showing as the 1st found on that day. Then I re-entered it hoping it would place it as the last entry on that day. No luck. It keeps putting it in the same spot (Space Shuttle was found 1st, Patrick Park 2nd that day). Anyway I can't figure out how to correct the order. I am not sure why this happened to begin with. When entering the Good vs Evil entries which were found on the same day, the finds DID stay/post in the order that I entered them. The entries were all done on my mac.

Edited by T!mberwolf

FWIW, you can edit your milestones if the default milestones are wrong. Hover over the help.png icon in the top-right corner of your milestones list, then click on the "statistics settings page" link that appears in the popup. From there, you can edit specific milestones.

As niraD says, you can 'edit' your milestones as displayed in your stats.

As for correcting the order of your other finds (or why it should be necessary), I don't think you can. You could delete all your finds and re-log them, but that would be a bit annoying to the cache owners, and not much fun for you. I'm sure you are probably more interested in why it happened so you can prevent it in the future, but I don't have any idea why they should be 'out of order' if you logged them in the order you found them.

When I'm posting multiple finds for the same day, I post the first cache found that day, then second and so on; however, I noticed in a couple of instances the cache order does not reflect the order in which I entered the finds, consequently my finds are out of order in 2 instances.

How are you logging? Is it through the website, the app, or a mixture of both? The two systems use different timestamps on the logs. IIRC, the app uses the current UTC time, whereas the website always uses noon (12 pm) Seattle time. Having logs logged through both systems could lead to out-of-order timestamps.

FWIW, you can edit your milestones if the default milestones are wrong. Hover over the help.png icon in the top-right corner of your milestones list, then click on the "statistics settings page" link that appears in the popup. From there, you can edit specific milestones.

Uhhh... now that you mention it, the first time this happened, I did edit a milestone entry that was incorrect. Oops! Forgot. Twice now entries have been placed out of order. I really just wish this problem would not occur to begin with; when I enter my finds in the correct order of finds, it should list them in that order. Tx.

Edited by T!mberwolf

As niraD says, you can 'edit' your milestones as displayed in your stats.

As for correcting the order of your other finds (or why it should be necessary), I don't think you can. You could delete all your finds and re-log them, but that would be a bit annoying to the cache owners, and not much fun for you. I'm sure you are probably more interested in why it happened so you can prevent it in the future, but I don't have any idea why they should be 'out of order' if you logged them in the order you found them.

Yep, mostly interested the Why and how to avoid in the future. The first time it happened, I had 8 finds for the day, and the 4th find shows up as 1st find of day. The 2nd time was when there were just 2 finds for the day. I went so far as deleting both entries and re-entering both. It still would not correct the order problem, kept showing the 2nd find as the 1st find of the day. Annoying.

When I'm posting multiple finds for the same day, I post the first cache found that day, then second and so on; however, I noticed in a couple of instances the cache order does not reflect the order in which I entered the finds, consequently my finds are out of order in 2 instances.

How are you logging? Is it through the website, the app, or a mixture of both? The two systems use different timestamps on the logs. IIRC, the app uses the current UTC time, whereas the website always uses noon (12 pm) Seattle time. Having logs logged through both systems could lead to out-of-order timestamps.

Didn't use a mixture. I thought more on exactly how I made the entries. I believe for 1st occurrence, I made entries in field and saved, but didn't send log. I then made edits ON the phone when I had more time, then posted each via iPhone. I posted them in the order of the finds. All were done through phone, not a mixture. For 2nd occurrence, both entries were made through computer. What is strange is that even when I deleted both entries on the computer and reposted both (in the proper order), it still places the 2nd find as the 1st find of the day. Don't get it.

Edited by T!mberwolf

I believe for 1st occurrence, I made entries in field and saved, but didn't send log. I then made edits ON the phone when I had more time, then posted each via iPhone. I posted them in the order of the finds. All were done through phone, not a mixture. For 2nd occurrence, both entries were made through computer. What is strange is that even when I deleted both entries on the computer and reposted both (in the proper order), it still places the 2nd find as the 1st find of the day. Don't get it.

Maybe the site isn't respecting the order of logs when you save the logs, then later submit them. I would think it should, but maybe there's a bug in there somewhere. That doesn't explain the 2nd occurrence, though. That's really odd that it refused to put them in order, even after you re-logged them.

Well, just fixed the one occurrence by deleting both entries, logging out of website, then re-entering both. NOW has proper order and no need to edit milestone. The other one has too many entries for the day to bother to try the delete re-entry method. Will just have to cross fingers that no further issues. I realize most people probably don't worry about the order being correct, but it bugs me.

Well, just fixed the one occurrence by deleting both entries, logging out of website, then re-entering both. NOW has proper order and no need to edit milestone. The other one has too many entries for the day to bother to try the delete re-entry method. Will just have to cross fingers that no further issues. I realize most people probably don't worry about the order being correct, but it bugs me.

The site does not allow you to enter the time of the find, so it is pretty much incapable of remembering the order of your finds. This has been a peeve of mine for almost the entire 10 years I have been caching.

If you really want to keep track of the order of your finds (as I do) make an offline database of them and record the time of the finds as well.

The site does not allow you to enter the time of the find, so it is pretty much incapable of remembering the order of your finds. This has been a peeve of mine for almost the entire 10 years I have been caching.

If you really want to keep track of the order of your finds (as I do) make an offline database of them and record the time of the finds as well.

This is not bad idea, but I probably won't go to those means. I thought about keeping a Journal with a simple list of finds with date/time, but discarded the idea. Already spending more time on this hobby than I should (instead of dust bunnies, my house now has dust buffalos!): planning cache searches, searching for caches, logging finds, editing photos & typing in info for each photo (I'm keeping a photo journal in iPhoto), reading forum/learning more about specific topics, planning cache placements (or looking for good cache spots), shopping for supplies, shopping for geocoins, make biosheets for each purchased coin, trying to figure out operation of recently purchased Gpsr, reading manual for Gpsr... Whew! I am exhausted.

I have an Excel spreadsheet of all my finds...pretty simple to keep up. I just cut-and-paste the name, date, GCid#, and the time of the find. Of course I get to decide what order they are in. B)

This also facilitates knowing when a big milestone is coming up, in case you want to make it a special cache rather than just another one on the list. :)

I have an Excel spreadsheet of all my finds...pretty simple to keep up. I just cut-and-paste the name, date, GCid#, and the time of the find. Of course I get to decide what order they are in. B)

This also facilitates knowing when a big milestone is coming up, in case you want to make it a special cache rather than just another one on the list. :)

Good point about the milestones!