eTrex 20 for new cacher?

Corked

I've read a lot of the threads about this device and it seems like it would be good for my needs and I see that the updates seem to be solving the "sticky" issues (correct me if I'm wrong). I know some people who have struggled with it will be frustrated and be the first to warn people off of it. I guess my questions are as follows: with these potential problems, would you still recommend it to someone new to geocaching? Do the issues seem to be resolved? If not does it seem that they will be soon?

Thanks for any help!

Hi, I've had my Etrex 20 since January... I've not had a single incident of it "Sticking", but you're right in thinking that a lot of people have. I find it to be an excellent unit and have never regretted buying it. My previous GPS was a Garmin Legend HCx, that was a good solid unit, but I wanted to go 'paperless' - hence the Etrex 20. You need to be aware that to benefit from the paperless capabilities of the Etrex you'll have to become a Premium member, it only costs a few quid a year and is well worth it.

A further point worth noting is that the base maps on most GPSr's are just what they say... i.e. BASIC. Good quality (and free!) maps are available to download from a variety of sources. You'll only need to ask and you'll be inundated with advice.

Good luck...

Croesgadwr

A North Wales Geo-cacher

The 20 is not just for beginners. We purchased one after caching for a few years with a couple of 76 csx units. I guess you could say we downgraded because of the cheaper price but after a few months and 500 caches we feel we definitely upgraded. Paperless caching is the only way to go and the glonass satellites seems to make it just a little more accurate than the older models.

Great responses, thanks everyone. I plan on becoming a premium member once I get into it. Paperless caching is definitely a draw for me as I fancy myself as an environmentally friendly traveler and try to cut back on the amount of waste I create.

If you're going with the Etrex and can squeeze the extra to get the 30 you pick up the electronic compass.....its not only a compass but when you have a cache loaded as a go-to the pointer will always point at the cache even if you're moving very slowly or standing still......you'll find yourself in many areas where its hard to walk at all let alone 3 mph.

I like the idea of the compass on the 30, but can't justify the extra $70 for it when I have a) a phone with a compass and B) a compass with a compass. :)

I know what you mean. I usually pack a compass anyways so it doesn't seem worth the extra money.

I like the idea of the compass on the 30, but can't justify the extra $70 for it when I have a) a phone with a compass and B) a compass with a compass. :)

Apparently you have never cached in no bars county. The phone compass is useless there. Actually the phone itself is useless. An electronic compass is not just for pointing to the north, it is for pointing in the direction of the cache, your magnetic compass really sucks for that use.

Did the price drop on the 30? Thought it was $100 more. (20 was $199, 30 was $299) A 100$ jump on a 200$ device is a big step.

On Amazon the 30 is $250 and the 20 is $185. If my calculator is working right that is a $65 difference.

Did the price drop on the 30? Thought it was $100 more. (20 was $199, 30 was $299) A 100$ jump on a 200$ device is a big step.

On Amazon the 30 is $250 and the 20 is $185. If my calculator is working right that is a $65 difference.

Don't forget you get the wireless and chirp, also a barometer on the 30... Those might be an important thing to keep in mind also. Can you use that barometric data for weather? Or doesn't it display it over time?

Apparently you have never cached in no bars county. The phone compass is useless there. Actually the phone itself is useless. An electronic compass is not just for pointing to the north, it is for pointing in the direction of the cache, your magnetic compass really sucks for that use.

Im not saying I am 100% positive, however the phone's compass should work with zero signal, and as far as the direction to the cache, it is a relatively minor thing to use an actual compass if you arent moving fast enough for the gps to measure for the compass. Just an opinion.

Im not saying I am 100% positive, however the phone's compass should work with zero signal, and as far as the direction to the cache, it is a relatively minor thing to use an actual compass if you arent moving fast enough for the gps to measure for the compass. Just an opinion.

Unless you saved the gpx file the phone has no location information for the cache. You need to save the gpx file before you enter no bars country or the phone won't be able to download the information.