System Notice: - Aviso De Sistema:

KD7MXI

System Notice:

The OpenTopic™ service that powers this Community is momentarily unavailable. The Infopop System Administrators have been notified about the problem and are working to correct it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Aviso De Sistema:

El servicio de OpenTopic™ está cerrado mientras que se repara la base de datos.

Nos disculpamos por la inconveniencia y esperamos que todo el servicio sea restablecido para el final del día.

Gracias por su comprensión.

Infopop Corporation

use the land or loose it to developers forever

----------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAcrossAmerica

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

http://www.cachunuts.com

System Notice:

The SemiOpenTopic™ service that sometimes powers this Community is momentarily unavailable as usual. The Infopoop System Administrators have been notified about the problem and are laughing at you while working to correct it.

Thank you for your understanding. Or not. icon_wink.gif

25021_1200.gif

System Notice:

The SemiOpenTopic™ service that sometimes powers this Community is momentarily unavailable as usual. The Infopoop System Administrators have been notified about the problem and are laughing at you while working to correct it.

Thank you for your understanding. Or not. icon_wink.gif

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

I'm completely sick of it. The last thing I expected to happen when I forked over my membership fee was to switch from a working forum to a broken forum...

Well I find it thoroughly annoying too, however I think it's rather silly to infer that nothing should ever break now that you paid a membership fee. I doubt you'd feel significantly less annoyed by the problems if there were no such thing as a paid membership. It would be nice to be more in the know on the communication/resolution efforts that are going on in the background, but that also takes time from the administrators and might not be particularly meaningful to those of us not running the nuts and bolts anyway. No one would go to the amount of work required to make an upgrade with historical import if they thought the new version was "broken". And it had been tested for quite some time, so it wasn't popped in without thought. The reasons were more likely to include offering additional features that it was believed some users desired, support issues (support often drops off on older releases of software), financial arrangements (upgrade to our new product and we throw in a year's support free plus X% discount on the license, etc...), and so forth.

So explain the errors you receive and note that it REALLY bugs you, but maybe leave off with the dig about membership? Now that the move has been made, it would be non-trivial to go back or move to a completely different product and that wouldn't happen overnight any more than getting the performance of the &quotnew&quot forums in tune will. The behind the scenes crew is likely as bothered as you plus they have the stress of lots of folks standing over their shoulders while they try to get a third-party provider to help them diagnose and fix it. It'll get there, hopefully sooner rather than later.

T-storm

...wishing that the &quotnew posts&quot lights didn't reset for no particular reason.

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

...wishing that the &quotnew posts&quot lights didn't reset for no particular reason.

Just as an aside, and since this thread doesn't really have a point anyway, I thought I'd mention that if you put a semicolon (:) after that &quot, it'll work no matter what follows it.

So instead of &quotnew posts&quot you should type "new posts".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pointless discussion with someone who, after all, hasn't yet even been clued enough to find the caps lock key

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

Just as an aside, and since this thread doesn't really have a point anyway, I thought I'd mention that if you put a semicolon (icon_wink.gif after that &quot, it'll work no matter what follows it.

So instead of &quotnew posts&quot you should type "new posts".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pointless discussion with someone who, after all, hasn't yet even been clued enough to find the caps lock key

I've read a few posts in the past regarding some of the quirks here. I've never seen one glitch or message like the example above - until today that is. I use WIN98ME and explorer 5.5. Currently, I'm using my step-son's terminal and he is using XP and Explorer 6.0. I now understand what it is people are complaining about.

BTW.

It ain't no big thang.

I've had worse troubles with the light bulb in my fridge.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

[This message was edited by MajBach on March 31, 2002 at 07:07 AM.]

T-storm, no, I won't leave it off. My membership wasn't a fee being paid, it wasn't a good being purchased...it was an investment in the future of the site. Part of the return on that investment is that I can now (sometimes) participate on a broken messageboard. Wee! icon_rolleyes.gif

The messageboard replaced the mailing list. The one geocaching mailing list I'm on (over at yahoogroups) is *very* low-traffic. I've learned about alternate cache containers, GPS information that isn't in the crappy Garmin manuals, learned of Bookcrossing.com, learned about letterboxing, and gained some ideas for three caches I'm currently planning. I get a lot out of the boards, but only when they're working.

T-storm, no, I won't leave it off. My membership wasn't a fee being paid, it wasn't a good being purchased...it was an investment in the future of the site. Part of the return on that investment is that I can now (sometimes) participate on a broken messageboard. Wee! icon_rolleyes.gif

The messageboard replaced the mailing list. The one geocaching mailing list I'm on (over at yahoogroups) is *very* low-traffic. I've learned about alternate cache containers, GPS information that isn't in the crappy Garmin manuals, learned of Bookcrossing.com, learned about letterboxing, and gained some ideas for three caches I'm currently planning. I get a lot out of the boards, but only when they're working.

The problem is that it is happening more frequently as of late. One would expect the situation to improve over time, but it seems to be doing the opposite. I have no doubt that many people are working hard on this behind the scenes, but it is very frustrating to be stuck on the other end. Losing a long-winded super-brilliant post to a system error sucks. icon_frown.gif

rdw

The problem is that it is happening more frequently as of late. One would expect the situation to improve over time, but it seems to be doing the opposite. I have no doubt that many people are working hard on this behind the scenes, but it is very frustrating to be stuck on the other end. Losing a long-winded super-brilliant post to a system error sucks. icon_frown.gif

rdw