Waypoint averaging

Davon2

hi

I was trying to set up a new cache on a coastal path . I averaged the waypoints and according to moderator located the cache in the sea !!. I have returned and re done them twice more and are identical and still in the sea. . Someone else done them with a different gps r and they seem to be spot on .

Question i am asking is , is there any reason they could be off ??( 3 times done all similar but locating wrong )

Thanks

Davon

hi

I was trying to set up a new cache on a coastal path . I averaged the waypoints and according to moderator located the cache in the sea !!. I have returned and re done them twice more and are identical and still in the sea. . Someone else done them with a different gps r and they seem to be spot on .

Question i am asking is , is there any reason they could be off ??( 3 times done all similar but locating wrong )

Thanks

Davon

If you are looking at the coordinates on an online map (like Google maps) it may show them as somewhere they ate not... maps like these are known to be off as much 200ft. sometimes...

Check what the 'accuracy' reading on your GPS device and confirm that it is reading a low number (10-20 ft. is good enough)

I third the using some other datum than WGS84. Click here to take a look at a good example and description of what the differences in GPS datum looks like on a map. If you don't know how to set the datum on your GPS let us know the make and model. We will be able to help you with that too.