How Do I Update Magellan eXplorist GC GPS

The Powerpuff Girls

You've provided very little information to work with, so I'm going to assume you're trying to update the software on your Explorist GC using the file from this page. Once you download it and run it, it should extract a bunch of files and then display this screen:

ne9ve8.jpg

When you click next, it should list the system requirements, as well as these important points:

308czn9.jpg

Clicking next again will show a list of directions on what to do with your GPS and in what order. Make sure you do exactly as it says. I suspect you've missed some of these steps if nothing's happening on your GPS.

What I did was, I extracted the EXE file, and replaces the files with the ones in the EXE files, took about 20 minutes. The only thing, is that it contained a couple files, ad some pictures that I the GPS storage didn't already have. So Ihave a couple extra files and not sure which folder they go into.

I have restarted and so far it seems to work good.

What I did was, I extracted the EXE file, and replaces the files with the ones in the EXE files, took about 20 minutes. The only thing, is that it contained a couple files, ad some pictures that I the GPS storage didn't already have. So Ihave a couple extra files and not sure which folder they go into.

I have restarted and so far it seems to work good.

I certainly hope you made a backup of the files on your GPS before you started replacing them. Updating software often entails far more than just replacing files, so you could do some real damage by simply overwriting files.

As far as why the update program isn't running, it's probably because you're running Linux. The program says it requires Windows XP, Vista, or 7 (though it only tells you that once it has run, they don't mention it online for some reason). If you have access to a Windows machine, you could try doing the update using that.

All the computers have Linux. Is there a way to update it via Linux?

I don't see a linux version of the firmware updater. You might want to email Magellan and ask them to make a linux version. Until they get enough people asking for a linux version to justify making one the next best thing is running Windows in VirtualBox. Click on the link for an article describing how to do this.