eTrex 20/30 software version 2.71 Beta

allory

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5557

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.71:

Improved GPS response at low speeds

Improved elevation data stored in track logs (etrex 30)

Fixed issue with distance to destination data field

Fixed occasional overlapping of data fields in the elevation application

Problems with this beta software may be reported to etrexBeta@garmin.com

Despite not written in the bugfix errata, something also seems to have happened with the compass. Normally I only have to rotate it one turn when calibrating. Now requires 2-3 turns on every axis, let's see if it works better.

Altimeter algorithm still bad though, despite a note of improved barometric altimeter plots.

Despite not written in the bugfix errata, something also seems to have happened with the compass. Normally I only have to rotate it one turn when calibrating. Now requires 2-3 turns on every axis, let's see if it works better.

Altimeter algorithm still bad though, despite a note of improved barometric altimeter plots.

I just loaded 2.71 and calibrated the compass. I only had to turn it once on each axis. The compass does seem to respond much better now. When I go caching is a couple days we'll see how the sticky issue is. At least Garmin is trying.

I just bought a 30 last Friday, updated from 2.4 that was on it in the box to 2.7 and used it for the first time yesterday. It worked great, no sticky and good accuracy.

I hate to fix it if it ain't broke but the description of 2.71 beta sounds interesting. Is it possible to revert to 2.7 if 2.71 screws things up?

Updated my 20. Sitting still, the track wanders a bit more than it did. I won't get out caching until the weekend, but, once again, fingers crossed. :)

You just know that there's a conversation going on at Garmin HQ that sounds something like this:

"How many normal people complained?"

"200."

"How many of those dadgum geocachers complained?"

"300."

"OK, turn the filter down a bit more. Once we get 250 complaints from both groups, stop."

I will let y'all beta test... and keep watching this thread.....dry.gif

Normally I would be right there in the bleachers with you, but I have an urge to be a beta tester. I really think this is going to be a gang buster unit once they get the issues resolved. The last beta went well, so I have hopes for this one.

I will let y'all beta test... and keep watching this thread.....dry.gif

Normally I would be right there in the bleachers with you, but I have an urge to be a beta tester. I really think this is going to be a gang buster unit once they get the issues resolved. The last beta went well, so I have hopes for this one.

That last beta was the down fall for my unit.... The 2.7 seemed to fix it.... I am gonna stay away from betas from now on..... at least on my GPSr ph34r.gif

Did a mile in light tree cover this afternoon, including the drunken bee dance at the end. Not one stick for the round trip. If it keeps this up, 2.71 makes me happy. Very happy.

Didn't notice a change in screen refresh, but that might be me. Still chokes if I leave it on the 50' setting and drive away. :)

Edited by Ed_M

Did a mile in light tree cover this afternoon, including the drunken bee dance at the end. Not one stick for the round trip. If it keeps this up, 2.71 makes me happy. Very happy.

Didn't notice a change in screen refresh, but that might be me. Still chokes if I leave it on the 50' setting and drive away. :)

Thats great! Keep on testing! I'm ok with the screen not refreshing super fast... I think it's just the price we pay for great battery life.

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.71:

Improved GPS response at low speeds

Improved elevation data stored in track logs (etrex 30)

Fixed issue with distance to destination data field

Fixed occasional overlapping of data fields in the elevation application

Hey!

When I go to update to beta and DL it when I open the updater it says my software is up to date with 2.70? How do I make it notice the beta? Really want to GC, please help!!!

-Thanks

Go to post #1 in this thread. There is a link to an windows executable. Download that, save it as a file, make sure your etrex is plugged in to the usb port and then execute file. It will install the beta firmware. Beta firmware is not installed via the webupdater.

Interesting...

I loaded up the beta software today, which went OK. When the loader was installing the software into my device giving percentage progress, there was also a little message saying "programming region 14". I'm curious to know if there's any significance in this - whether any other users have had different regions come up on their devices?

Also, this install wiped out my satellite info (had to re-acquire from scratch) and my compass calibration (first time I went to the compass page there was a message telling me to calibrate). Not had that before.

Interesting...

I loaded up the beta software today, which went OK. When the loader was installing the software into my device giving percentage progress, there was also a little message saying "programming region 14". I'm curious to know if there's any significance in this - whether any other users have had different regions come up on their devices?

Also, this install wiped out my satellite info (had to re-acquire from scratch) and my compass calibration (first time I went to the compass page there was a message telling me to calibrate). Not had that before.

That percentage of progress seems to be unique to the new eTrex units...I'm used to a blue "progress bar" on the Oregons. At least you're able to see something happening though -- better than staring at a screen that doesn't "move". Mine halted for a second or two at the "programming region 14" as well.

This is only the second time I've upgraded the software on the eTrex 30...and I don't recall if the previous upgrade blanked the satellite data and compass calibration. (I have had that happen on the Oregon 450 and 550t in the past though).

Bill

Yeh that got me worried today, I updated to the beta firmware, stuck some caches on and off we went. When I turned it on and it took an age to find any satellites I thought the beta had messed my Etrex 30 up. Eventually locked on and seemed fine when turned it off and on again.

Didnt have to do anything with regards to the compass though.

eTrex 20/30 software version 2.73 Beta

Changes made from version 2.71 to 2.73:

Improved ability to clear unit settings on power up: now only requires menu key and enter key to be held when powering the unit on

Improved size of roads drawn on map in 'automotive mode' orientation

Fixed issue that was causing some devices to display a 'memory full' message followed by bad device behavior

I averaged 5 waypoints this afternoon with Beta 2.71. Took between 6 and 8 minutes per waypoint to get to 100% confident. Has anybody else noticed this?

Yes. It seems to take longer to average a point. Doesn't really bother me, since I tend to let it sit and soak up the GPS signals for an hour or so anyway if I'm placing a cache.

Improved ability to clear unit settings on power up: now only requires menu key and enter key to be held when powering the unit on

Fixed issue that was causing some devices to display a 'memory full' message followed by bad device behavior

Just installed the 2.73 beta firmware in hopes that our sticky issue is fixed. Will update everyone once we try out a cache! *crossed fingers*

Yeh that got me worried today, I updated to the beta firmware, stuck some caches on and off we went. When I turned it on and it took an age to find any satellites I thought the beta had messed my Etrex 30 up. Eventually locked on and seemed fine when turned it off and on again.

Didnt have to do anything with regards to the compass though.

Since installing 2.7 my 20 I have to go to the satellite icon and have it find satellites about half the times I turn it on. Didn't have to before. Anyone else have this issue?

Just installed the 2.73 beta firmware in hopes that our sticky issue is fixed. Will update everyone once we try out a cache! *crossed fingers*

Took our etrex 30 out today and found 7 geocaches with no sticky issues and it had no trouble finding satellites. This update is definitely starting to restore my faith in the etrex.

I just bought a 20. Anymore advice out there concerning the beta updates?

I'm running 2.70 on my 30 and it is pretty solid. Given that, I'm holding off on the beta versions. Perhaps you can update to 2.7 (from whatever it comes with)and decide if you like that well enough or want to try a beta.

Yes, 2.73 is definitely better. Still some problems. My 30 gets an occasional stuck compass, and a week ago I was doing a power trail and had 700 or 800 caches loaded. I would get a frozen unit when trying to mark founds. Had to remove the battery to recover. Sent an email to the beta email and the folks at Garmin wanted the system.xml file so I guess they are looking at the problems. Not rock solid yet, but certainly better than 2.7 or an earlier edition.

Yes, 2.73 is definitely better. Still some problems. My 30 gets an occasional stuck compass, and a week ago I was doing a power trail and had 700 or 800 caches loaded. I would get a frozen unit when trying to mark founds. Had to remove the battery to recover. Sent an email to the beta email and the folks at Garmin wanted the system.xml file so I guess they are looking at the problems. Not rock solid yet, but certainly better than 2.7 or an earlier edition.

I've also been having terrible problems with the compass even at 2.73. When it works, lucky if it tracks within 45 degrees. When it doesn't, sometimes it just plain oscillates 180 degrees every second or shows the opposite of correct direction. A user on another forum suggested a VERY slow calibration, it was the way he got his working. Will try that someday...

I've also been having terrible problems with the compass even at 2.73. When it works, lucky if it tracks within 45 degrees. When it doesn't, sometimes it just plain oscillates 180 degrees every second or shows the opposite of correct direction. A user on another forum suggested a VERY slow calibration, it was the way he got his working. Will try that someday...

Hope you and the other user sent email to the etrex beta email address. Only way it is going to get fixed is if garmin is a where of the problem. I mentioned it but hearing from others will help with the priorities.

Hope you and the other user sent email to the etrex beta email address. Only way it is going to get fixed is if garmin is a where of the problem. I mentioned it but hearing from others will help with the priorities.

I've emailed eTrexbeta on various issues but never gotten a reply. There is however some indication that they are frequenting these forums and it would not surprise me if the software team strikes the hammer hard on 2.80 and finally release a field-worthy software.

I've emailed eTrexbeta on various issues but never gotten a reply. There is however some indication that they are frequenting these forums and it would not surprise me if the software team strikes the hammer hard on 2.80 and finally release a field-worthy software.

I have had a response from the beta team. I reported a problem with the unit locking up when logging a cache and needing to take the batteries out to get the unit to respond. They asked for the system.xml file. Looks like this file is an error log file. They probably are monitoring the forums, but an email will get it to them without hoping they monitor the forums.

What is this email address? I have looked on Garmin's website for a way to post bugs/problems with units and I have found nothing. Apparently they don't want to be inundated with complaints? :) You would think that they would make it easy to post problems so that they can better track the most common problems and fix those first.

What is this email address? I have looked on Garmin's website for a way to post bugs/problems with units and I have found nothing. Apparently they don't want to be inundated with complaints? :) You would think that they would make it easy to post problems so that they can better track the most common problems and fix those first.

Etrexbeta@garmin.com

The email address is in both Post #1 above and and on the page from the link in Post #1 on Garmin's website where you download the software. Also, when you install it a "readme" is displayed that listed it as well as the updated information.

How hard are you looking?

Thank you for your responses. I updated to 2.73 and got my first caches today. All went well except for when I got home to log my finds. How do I view my "comments" that I put in the GPS at the time of the find? I searched the forums, but couldn't find a thread for this.

Thanks

Thank you for your responses. I updated to 2.73 and got my first caches today. All went well except for when I got home to log my finds. How do I view my "comments" that I put in the GPS at the time of the find? I searched the forums, but couldn't find a thread for this.

Thanks

The comments are in the last field of the fieldnotes (geocache_visits.txt) in the Garmin folder.

I've had terrible performance from the compass since the day I got my Etrex 30 and through all the firmware updates. I regularly need to recalibrate the compass during a walk and last weekend I needed to do it twice within 2 miles. This also happened on the first unit I had that needed returning due to a sound problem. I'll be returning this one when I get a chance.

I know everyone says that electronic compasses are generally not great but the one in my phone has worked without problem for 2 years now. I'm not even sure there's a way to recalibrate it.

I've had terrible performance from the compass since the day I got my Etrex 30 and through all the firmware updates. I regularly need to recalibrate the compass during a walk and last weekend I needed to do it twice within 2 miles. This also happened on the first unit I had that needed returning due to a sound problem. I'll be returning this one when I get a chance.

I know everyone says that electronic compasses are generally not great but the one in my phone has worked without problem for 2 years now. I'm not even sure there's a way to recalibrate it.

I am in no way defending Garmin - the eTrex 20/30 should not have been released to production with its current software. However, comparing a smartphone with a replacable battery GPS is not really fair. The reason is that the replacable battery makes for a variable magnetic field depending on the batteries, so all you can require is that the compass works well after calibration when a new set of batteries have been inserted... unfortunately, mine doesn't! (But I haven't checked whether or not the batteries physically rotate in the unit during an outing).

In other regards I'm in the same camp as you - my smartphone (Xperia X10 mini.. needed calibrating ONCE and has since worked).

I am in no way defending Garmin - the eTrex 20/30 should not have been released to production with its current software. However, comparing a smartphone with a replacable battery GPS is not really fair. The reason is that the replacable battery makes for a variable magnetic field depending on the batteries, so all you can require is that the compass works well after calibration when a new set of batteries have been inserted... unfortunately, mine doesn't! (But I haven't checked whether or not the batteries physically rotate in the unit during an outing).

In other regards I'm in the same camp as you - my smartphone (Xperia X10 mini.. needed calibrating ONCE and has since worked).

A good point, but it doesn't explain why mine needed calibrating over 5 times in one 10 miles walk. I wasn't in an area with magnetic rocks and I had no other metal objects or batteries near it. Multiple recalibrations is by no means a rare event for me, without removing the batteries.

Thanks

The comments are in the last field of the fieldnotes (geocache_visits.txt) in the Garmin folder.