Best European City for Geocaching

luxlad

I have just returned from Venice and managed to log 14 caches and probably the same in DNF's.

I am planning another overseas trip later this year.

Where would you recommend as a European city centre based walking tour where maximum number of caches can be logged.

Many thanks,

Luxlad (Clive)

Where would you recommend as a European city centre based walking tour where maximum number of caches can be logged.

I guess your title is misleading. Cache density does not translate automatically into quality.

Vienna has also a lot of caches

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=48.20845&lng=16.372183

but as for Prague many are mystery caches or complex multi caches and require knowledge of the local language (only some are offered in English as well).

Cezanne

I guess your title is misleading. Cache density does not translate automatically into quality.

Agreed. Rome doesn't have a huge number of caches but it's a great walking city and many of the caches are in historically significant locations. Central Paris doesn't have a lot of caches either, especially if you're looking for fairly easy traditional caches, but it does have some good puzzle caches that require visiting some interesting places.

IMHO, a good geocaching city is someplace that is going to have a lot of interesting spots to visit even if there isn't a cache located in all those spots.

Figueira da Foz, Portugal

See in map.

Many caches, a lot of diversity, incredible landscapes.

We have a magnificent river, sea, beaches, mountains, and is a place rich in geology.

What do you want more?

Edited by Paulo S.

Prague and Budapest are beautiful cities with a lot of caches. Lisbon I only cached in one area where I was staying, but I enjoyed that too. Paris I had less success in finding caches, but it is a beautiful city of course. Dublin was fun and also had lots of caches. I live in the UK but haven't done much caching in London.

Oporto - Best European Destination 2012

20 selected towns were competing for the prestigious title of Best European Destination 2012. After a three weeks’ period of online voting Porto is elected the Best European Destination 2012 and wins the title ahead of 19 big european cities.

This is a oportonity to discover

Oporto has a geocaching dedicated hostel and coffe

GzHostel - Your accommodation in Oporto

Visit the best geocaches in the city

Join us in one of the various geocache events or meetups

Feel free to ask questions about our city..

As a resident in Lisbon area I'm proud to say that you can find here an extraordinary location for geocaching, either in quantity as in quality. Please take a look here

If you looking for lots of caches and a nice long walk look for SPT on the left, a walking PT with about 50 caches and 20km long inside the Sintra Forest/Park.

The PT ALGÉS, with 12 caches, plus 10 in between, is a smaller (3km) but also very nice walk, in this case alongside the Tagus(Tejo) river.

Not far from PT ALGÉS you can find “Jamor de ponta a ponta”, another PT with 15 caches plus 8 in between inside a the Jamor Sports Park which is also a very pleasant walking PT.

If your looking for a “just for the numbers” you can try the 58 caches PT “vialonga é mais longa” in the NE part of the map that can be traveled by car (almost) and also have some 15 or so in between.

As you can see in the map you can also opt for walking or cycling (at night) in Lisbon downtown and take the opportunity to found more then 20/30 caches in a couple of hours whiule enjoying this nice environment of culture, history and beauty with great food and weather.

If you have also some time to spend with quality caches please take a look at this list I just prepare of the 68 caches with more favorite points in the Lisbon area. If you plan to visit some of those please pay attention to the DIF/TER value and note that for some of them you may need some kind of tools/accessories/complements. Prepare your visit in advance and contact the owner. Usually, Portuguese people are very welcoming and helpful…

Don’t hesitate in asking for other options and…

Welcome to Portugal!

Edited by SawCastro

As you can see, folks have a variety of opinions on this topic.

Most cities on the continent are pretty accessible on foot due to the variety of public transport. So a lot depends on what else (if anything) you want to see, and as far as geocaches, what kind of experience you're looking for.

I've been to Prague several times, the last time when I was geocaching. I think it's a very accessible city, it's easy to get by as an English speaker, and the caching is great.

Berlin is also a great place to visit, for geocaching and just to visit. (And the oldest in Germany isn't terribly far from town if you rent a car for a day, and from there it's a hop and a skip to Poland if you want another country off your list.) Also very accessible for English speakers.

Amsterdam is great for English speakers and has a lot of great caches.

Paris has great caches as well, but although you can get by to some extent with just English, it'll go a lot smoother if you speak at least some French.

The island of Malta is wonderful, though you'll want to rent a car.

You may want to scope around the destinations Ryanair services. We had a very inexpensive trip to Faro and the Algarve in southern Portugal in January 2008. Weather was beautiful. We rented a car and saw beaches, cliffs, and mountains, and the food was fantastic.

As you can see, folks have a variety of opinions on this topic.

Most cities on the continent are pretty accessible on foot due to the variety of public transport. So a lot depends on what else (if anything) you want to see, and as far as geocaches, what kind of experience you're looking for.

I've been to Prague several times, the last time when I was geocaching. I think it's a very accessible city, it's easy to get by as an English speaker, and the caching is great.

Berlin is also a great place to visit, for geocaching and just to visit. (And the oldest in Germany isn't terribly far from town if you rent a car for a day, and from there it's a hop and a skip to Poland if you want another country off your list.) Also very accessible for English speakers.

Amsterdam is great for English speakers and has a lot of great caches.

Paris has great caches as well, but although you can get by to some extent with just English, it'll go a lot smoother if you speak at least some French.

Paris also has a high concentration of puzzle/unknown caches. I've noticed that, in general, many of the larger European cities have a larger percentage of unknown cache than I see in the U.S.

Any idea what the caching is like in Istanbul? I'm going to be in a meeting this week to talk about whether or not I might go to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania in June. Since there is only 1 cache in Dar (a city with 2.8 million people) if I'm going to do any caching it would be in a layover city to/from Tanzania. A few of the likely candidates are Istanbul, Cairo, and Zurich. I haven't found a cache in any of the countries those cities are in but on a past trip to Europe I overheard an international airline pilot raving about how much he liked Istanbul.

I was in Prague a few weeks ago with Mobee66. We found in total 40+ caches in 2 days. A great city to visit and great

geocaching. Not expensive and most people speak some English. Prior to our trip we solved a bunch of mysteries. Although we do not speak any Czech many can be solved using Google translate. I can recommend it!

Any idea what the caching is like in Istanbul?

I have not been there myself.

Some local cachers have been there recently and they also found this cache (among several others like the one at the Hagia Sophia which is worth a visit also without cache)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=03163fc5-de76-4ff8-b15c-31da67a18a94#

which has been hidden by a cacher from Graz who lived in Istanbul for a couple of months. So if you want to know more you might ask him or one of the Styrian cachers

who visited his cache on March 16, 2012. They are all not active in this forum.

It appears that the cache scene in Istanbul is less German-based than in the typical holiday spots where the majority of caches have been hidden by tourists and where German is the

most common logging language (unfortunately, often also used by those who are fluent in English).

A few of the likely candidates are Istanbul, Cairo, and Zurich. I haven't found a cache in any of the countries those cities are in but on a past trip to Europe I overheard an international airline pilot raving about how much he liked Istanbul.

I have done some caches in Zurich, but rather in the city centre and not close to the airport. I am not that much of a fan of caching in Zurich (but have not been there for caching anyway). Sometimes I found it even hard to understand some hints or words in the descriptions as Swiss dialect was used.

Personally, I like multi caches that invite for a city tour and such caches hardly exist in Zurich.

Cezanne

I very much enjoyed caching in Rome while I was there for a couple of days. Plus, you can cache in two countries at once, with caches also inside the Vatican City as well.

I doubt Geocaching will every recreate the thrill of retrieving a cache whilst physically on the Spanish Steps with about three thousand people around us. Nothing really of size however, and we did have trouble passing on a trackable which was the size of an action figure.