Cache NAMES beginning with specific letters/numbers

camnpete

As part of a local challenge I need to find caches that begin with 0-->9. I can get a listing of caches whose ONLY character (in the cache name) is 0 through 9, but I'm looking for a way to find those caches that have more than one character, but the first character is 0-->9. Is there a wild card or something I can use in the "Cache Name" box of 'find a cache', or perhaps someway to find them using a pocket query? Thanks.

If you use GSAK, you can sort all the caches in your data base alphabetically.

I don't use GSAK, as I'm on a MAC. And if I understand you correctly, these caches would not be in my data base. I'm looking for caches that I haven't yet downloaded or found. Thanks. Pete

I don't use GSAK, as I'm on a MAC. And if I understand you correctly, these caches would not be in my data base. I'm looking for caches that I haven't yet downloaded or found. Thanks. Pete

I think what he means by database is that you would run a pocket query of all the caches in your area, then use that for your database. GSAK isn't the only software out there. Really just about any cache management software for Mac ought to work.

I think what he means by database is that you would run a pocket query of all the caches in your area, then use that for your database. GSAK isn't the only software out there. Really just about any cache management software for Mac ought to work.

Thanks...I'll give that a try. For my purposes, I may have to set various geographical areas for my PQ, but that's certainly doable. Thanks again. Pete

Thanks...I'll give that a try. For my purposes, I may have to set various geographical areas for my PQ, but that's certainly doable. Thanks again. Pete

Excellent. Just FYI, there looks to be some good software out there... although they all look to cost a little bit of money. Most are for $15, but some are about $25. Here are some links...

iCaching

MacCaching

GeoJournal

BaseCamp

As part of a local challenge I need to find caches that begin with 0-->9. I can get a listing of caches whose ONLY character (in the cache name) is 0 through 9, but I'm looking for a way to find those caches that have more than one character, but the first character is 0-->9. Is there a wild card or something I can use in the "Cache Name" box of 'find a cache', or perhaps someway to find them using a pocket query? Thanks.

Here's the highly manual way of doing this.

1. Run the PQ and download them. Uncompress. Ignore the additional waypoints file.

2. Open the GPX file in a text editor that supports regular expression searches. Like vi if you're really old school :)

3. Search for this exact string :

<urlmane>[0-9 ]*<\/urlname>

Depending on whether you want other characters such as punctuations, arithmetic symbols, etc., you may need to modify your regular expression. For example, if you want to accept cache names that does not have any letters "A" through "Z", use this :

<urlname>[^A-Za-z]*<\/urlname>

Here's the highly manual way of doing this.

1. Run the PQ and download them. Uncompress. Ignore the additional waypoints file.

2. Open the GPX file in a text editor that supports regular expression searches. Like vi if you're really old school :)

3. Search for this exact string :

<urlmane>[0-9 ]*<\/urlname>

Depending on whether you want other characters such as punctuations, arithmetic symbols, etc., you may need to modify your regular expression. For example, if you want to accept cache names that does not have any letters "A" through "Z", use this :

<urlname>[^A-Za-z]*<\/urlname>

Hi Chrysalides,

That approach may be a bit above my technological skill level. I'll do some experimenting this weekend and see what I come up with. Thanks for your input. Pete (Camnpete)

That approach may be a bit above my technological skill level. I'll do some experimenting this weekend and see what I come up with. Thanks for your input. Pete (Camnpete)

Are you comfortable with OS X's command line interface?

If you are, you can use the strings above with the grep utility.

grep -e "<urlname>[^A-Za-z]*<\/urlname>" 123456.gpx

Replace 123456.gpx with the filename of your GPX files.

I'd like to give step by step directions but I don't have a Mac to test with. Deep down OS X is Unix based.

Another alternative is to PM me the search radius / criteria for your PQs, I run it, and send you the GC #, if you can't get it done another way.

I'd like to give step by step directions but I don't have a Mac to test with. Deep down OS X is Unix based.

Another alternative is to PM me the search radius / criteria for your PQs, I run it, and send you the GC #, if you can't get it done another way.

Truth be told, I'm more comfortable with COBOL and FORTRAN (or at least I would have been 40 years ago). :rolleyes:

Let my play around with some PQ's and if I don't get anywhere I'll take you up on your offer. I really appreciate it.

Pete/Camnpete

Truth be told, I'm more comfortable with COBOL and FORTRAN (or at least I would have been 40 years ago). :rolleyes:

Let my play around with some PQ's and if I don't get anywhere I'll take you up on your offer. I really appreciate it.

Pete/Camnpete

Pete/Camnpete

Ok... you're dating yourself. :-)

FORTRAN and COBOL via punch cards, 1977

10 PRINT CHR$(147)
20 FOR I=0 TO 560 STEP 39
30 POKE 1045+I, 3
31 POKE 1044+I, 15
32 POKE 1046+I, 1
33 POKE 1043+I, 5
34 POKE 1047+I, 3
35 POKE 1042+I, 7
36 POKE 1048+I, 8
37 POKE 1041+I, 32
38 POKE 1049+I, 9
39 POKE 1040+I, 83
40 POKE 1050+I, 14
41 POKE 1039+I, 32
42 POKE 1051+I, 7
43 POKE 1038+I, 9
44 POKE 1052+I, 33
50 NEXT I
60 END

Hi Glenn,

I saw your reply to my post about finding caches where the "placed by" name BEGINS with a number, but also has letters and numbers following it. I am not terribly computer literate, so I'm not sure how to use the instructions(?) you posted. Can you explain?

Thanks,

Pete

Camnpete