Pocket Queries

Desafio

Hello cachers, I'm hoping someone can recommend a software to download to my computer to use when I have generated a pocket query. There are several listed on this website but not sure which is the most "user friendly" for a medium techy person. I have a PC with Windows XP (yea, a little behind). Thanks

Edited by Desafio

What GPS? A lot will take the PQ file almost directly with no need for additional software.

Free, or paid for?

GSAK can look a little daunting when you start, but does a 'lot of things' for the bucks.

It's a free trial for 21 days, still fully functioning after that, but gives a 'nag screen' "You've used GSAK for 21 days, want to pay?" type thing.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hello cachers, I'm hoping someone can recommend a software to download to my computer to use when I have generated a pocket query. There are several listed on this website but not sure which is the most "user friendly" for a medium techy person. I have a PC with Windows XP (yea, a little behind). Thanks

Thanks for the comments so far. My GPS is a Magellan explorist 610. Not sure if I can drop the PQ's directly onto it!

Thanks for the comments so far. My GPS is a Magellan explorist 610. Not sure if I can drop the PQ's directly onto it!

Yup no problem. Also Magellean has some free transfer software.

Yes, you can attach the eXplorist 610 to your computer via the supplied USB cable. It will appear on your computer just like any external USB hard drive. Then you can just drag and drop the .GPX file (if you downloaded a .zip file the .gpx files are inside that file and you may have to unzip the .zip file to get them out) in to the Geocaches folder.

Magellan does make a program that will do this for you. It's called Communicator and you can download it from their website. Some people have reported that they have to perform some incantations before using it though. Simple things like logging out of geocaching.com and logging back in after doing a full reboot while standing on their heads and promising to promptly replace cache containers that have lost their water-tightness. I've downloaded the Communicator but when it didn't work right after install and I realized that all have to do is drag and drop my files I uninstalled it and have never looked back. So I don't have any first hand experience with Communicator working properly.