Pocket query, iphone, offline use

ligakrista

Hi, i am new and so far have been succesfuly caching with the official iphone app, but we go abroad and i would like to use offline saved pocket queries during the trip on my iphone, how do i do that. So far i have managed to save lists for offline use, but that by far is not enough, i am a freak of creating search querries :D the gpx file, if that is what i need, i just do not have a clue how to open it on the iphone :(thanks indeed

On your home page, the bottom button says "pocket queries"

When select that button, it will take you to the page where you choose which of your active queries you want to download to your iPhone.

Select your PQ, hit "save for offline use" and depending on the size of the query it will take a few seconds to a few minutes to download.

To access them, you select the 'saved' tab on the bottom, just like you do for your saved lists.

So, what are you seeing when you do this? Do you have your queries set to run each week? Queries set to run once and then delete traditionally don't show up on the iPhone (unless it's been fixed with the multitude of recent updates)

Select your PQ, hit "save for offline use" and depending on the size of the query it will take a few seconds to a few minutes to download.

When i hit the query i have option, "open in.. Evernote or dropbox 8-)", but not " save for offline use", but it is not set to run regullarly, it is also nit set to delete, just unchecking the day

So, i will try now to set it run regularly and hope that it will solve my problem

Ps. Ok, i wasn't honest.. :D just embarassed, i am caching with iPhone app, tht's true, but on an ... IPad :D but that shouldn't ake the difference, should it?

When i hit the query i have option, "open in.. Evernote or dropbox 8-)", but not " save for offline use"

It sounds like you're trying to open the PQ file from an email or something. You need to go into the Geocaching app, and then you'll see a button for Pocket Queries.

ETA: Oh, and using the app on an iPad doesn't make any difference.

Edited by The A-Team

It sounds like you're trying to open the PQ file from an email or something. You need to go into the Geocaching app, and then you'll see a button for Pocket Queries.

The caching app, designed for iPhone, has serch, saved, logs and trackables buttons, but cannot locage anywhere the PQ button, before i was trying to open it via web browser Safari, yed

When i hit the query i have option, "open in.. Evernote or dropbox 8-)", but not " save for offline use"

It sounds like you're trying to open the PQ file from an email or something. .

Yup. That's exactly what it sounds like.

I delete the PQ emails immediately. They are of no use to me. Well, I know that once I get the email that my PQis ready, otherwise, once I see the email it goes right to the trash...

You do everything from within the app.

So, on your home page(of your iPhone), select the tab that says, Pocket Query, and continue to follow the instructions that are listed above.

Edited by JesandTodd

All above is good info, however I am having trouble dl'ing an uploaded GPX file back to iPhone as indicated on saved GPX page? Anyone help?

I assume you're talking about this page? I really wish Groundspeak would take that down. It hasn't worked for quite a while now, and keeps misleading people. They decided people can use the corrected coordinates feature along with PQs to accomplish the same thing, even though many gave examples of other ways it was being used.

If your screen doesnt show this then it doesn't see you as a PM. You can delete the app and reinstall, that usually fixes everything...

I've been having the same problem. So I thought I'd give your suggestion a try. However, the message "Deleting 'Geocaching' will also delete all of its data" scared me into inaction. And will I have to pay for the app again.

As you may have guessed, I'm a the opposite end of the spectrum from computer nerd. But willing to learn!

Do PQ's which are generated, downloaded and then save(d) for offline use in my iPhone get refreshed when the next automatic PQ is ran/downloaded, or should I delete that list before downloading the query again in a few days?

-mvs

Nope.

Your phone doesn't know what is happening on the Groundspeak servers until you tell it to check.