Who has the most FTFs

I know I'm probably going to regret posting this, and get flamed up the Ying Yang but I got an email from another cacher the other day (Tipete) from Montreal he had just reached 1000 FTFs and ran across my profile and wanted to know if I knew of anyone that had more FTFs then I did. I said no I didn't but hadn't really tried to find out, I told him he could post the question on the Forums to see, but he has not (he's probably smarter then I am). So my question is does anyone know of anyone that has more then 1760 FTFs. I really would be curious as I know Tipete would be as well.

Edited by Scubasonic

Who HAS the most, or who is CLAIMING to have the most?

:anibad:

Big difference.

Only by actually reviewing the original logbooks of every cache place (so far) could there be a definitive answer.

I actually have 2317 FTFs, but I frequently don't sign the log, and come back later, after someone else has 'claimed' the FTF. I also delay my online log and avoid using the acronym to prevent making myself a target. :lol:

I think a more interesting stat would be the FTF to ticket ratio.

Haven't seen anyone get a ticket, but I did witness 2 cachers crash their cars into one another (one stopped, the other slid into her) on an FTF chase. The cache published nearby during a dinner event, cell phone notifications started going off, folks started eyeballing each other, about 5 cachers broke for the door. It was a real Keystone Cops moment. :rolleyes:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I got one more today :-)

http://coord.info/GC3CMVR

see the pictures.. I only go for FTF for hardcore terrain 5 caches,

the water and mud was from 10cm to 100cm deep !! so a full wetsuit was used,

it took me about one hr to get it, I was soo tired and swetty when I got back to wife and kids,

then it is funny !!

here in Danmark we got a few super FTF hunters, if they are in town

I got no chance at all, no matter what is release where !!

they got hundreds of FTC each, they will leave work, parties, lunch or what ever they do for a FTF hunt !

I think it is cool this kind of first to find hunt, but I am not the most crasy hunter my self.

Haven't seen anyone get a ticket, but I did witness 2 cachers crash their cars into one another (one stopped, the other slid into her) on an FTF chase. The cache published nearby during a dinner event, cell phone notifications started going off, folks started eyeballing each other, about 5 cachers broke for the door. It was a real Keystone Cops moment. :rolleyes:

LOL! Now I'm going to try to get one published during the next event!

Who cares?

Just because you don't doesn't mean others don't.

Just because others do doesn't mean it matters :ph34r:

IBTL

Obviously it matters to someone.

Actually the more I think about it the more self-centered I realize your post is.

Edited by Roman!

LOL! Now I'm going to try to get one published during the next event!

All that does is point out the cachers who are more concerned with an unimportant statistic than hanging out and socializing with other cachers.

Actually the more I think about it the more self-centered I realize your post is.

The issue to me is not whether or not it matters to you; I don't care about that. What puzzles me is why it is so important that to you everyone else knows and admires your stats.

The FTF game would be great if people kept track for themselves; it would even be fine if there was a group that competed with each other in a private forum. It's the excessive bragging and taunting about stats in the logs for the caches and main geocaching forum that I find so obnoxious. Actually, let me re-phrase that: the bragging and taunting are obnoxious in cache logs; here in the forums they are mostly embarrassingly pitiable.

The issue to me is not whether or not it matters to you; I don't care about that. What puzzles me is why it is so important that to you everyone else knows and admires your stats.

The FTF game would be great if people kept track for themselves; it would even be fine if there was a group that competed with each other in a private forum. It's the excessive bragging and taunting about stats in the logs for the caches and main geocaching forum that I find so obnoxious. Actually, let me re-phrase that: the bragging and taunting are obnoxious in cache logs; here in the forums they are mostly embarrassingly pitiable.

+1

The OP asked a question, quite frankly the response "who cares" I find ignorant and the comment "Just because others do doesn't mean it matters" I find very self centered. Some people are very competitive and that should be OK and just because you or others do not care about something I find putting those that do down obnoxious. What puzzles me is the need to reply to someones question with "who cares"!

DrJay has about 2000 (it was 1971 in January)

His entire list is on his profile page.

Thank you for your response that is what I was looking for was hoping to get a answer to my question, hard to wade through the Flamers. My hat is off to DrJay I know how much work it was to get what I have, so he has really put in a lot of effort.

Scubasonic

Queue "Yakety Sax".

The OP asked a question, quite frankly the response "who cares" I find ignorant and the comment "Just because others do doesn't mean it matters" I find very self centered. Some people are very competitive and that should be OK and just because you or others do not care about something I find putting those that do down obnoxious. What puzzles me is the need to reply to someones question with "who cares"!

While the OP has every right to start threads like this one (barring word from Groundspeak to the contrary), the reaction you are seeing is not so much because of the obvious question, but because those of us that have been around for a while have learned that the OP will use any pretense to call attention to his FTF count, and some have grown weary of what they see as poorly camouflaged boasting.

I don't know what is more entertaining, those who are obsessed with "FTF" or those who are obsessed with those who are obsessed with "FTF." If you don't like to see someone bragging, then don't read the forum but if you do, don't be critical.

The entire Geocaching forum is full of people "bragging." I think the longest thread could be titled "Look at the Cache Container I made." Personally, I see no problem with people bragging as long as the bragging is not used to put someone else down. For instance, if I were able to finish running a marathon, I would tell my friends I finished a marathon. I wouldn't say, "I ran a marathon, and I bet you couldn't"

The FTF stat, as well as the Finds stat, are really nothing more than the honorable word of the person stating it. I could sit here and post a "found it" log on 100,000 caches and there is no audit of it. The only stat that is verifiable is the "hidden" stat and even than has a few holes in it. I could hide a cache and let someone else claim to hide it.

The entire Geocaching game is based on honor and integrity. Some folks have it and some folks do not. At the end of the day, if I had fun, what more could I ask for? There are a lot of days I had fun and I found ONE cache. The best days caching, for me, are when I run into another cacher and have a pleasant conversation with them. Or when I go out with my kids (who are all adults now, except one, she is 16) and share some laughs and a find or two. The day I reached 1,000 finds I had my sixteen year old daughter and 14 year old niece with me, and we found a total of 8 caches. We had a BLAST!

So who has the most FTFs? Who is John Galt?

While the OP has every right to start threads like this one (barring word from Groundspeak to the contrary), the reaction you are seeing is not so much because of the obvious question, but because those of us that have been around for a while have learned that the OP will use any pretense to call attention to his FTF count, and some have grown weary of what they see as poorly camouflaged boasting.

Regardless of who the OP is or what he has done both "who cares" and "Just because others do doesn't mean it matters" are insulting to not just the OP, but to others that may see the FTF game as a competition. You guys are calling out the OP but some are behaving much much worse, just my 2¢.

On a side note, you'd better throw in your 2¢ worth soon as up here in Canada we won't have then around much longer.

The real game is trying to figure out how to make FTF hounds really earn those First Finds. :ph34r: After that each cacher must earn their find, too.

I personally know someone who will go out of his way for a FTF, to the sacrifice of other hides nearby. It's not my journey, but I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else how to go about enjoying their finds and in what order. Though I might have a minor gripe about someone who goes out and hides a streak of caches specifically acknowledging and congratulating a specific finder (You really don't know he will be the First To Find, do you? If so, something seems amiss there.)

Attending a mega event is a great opportunity to meet hundreds of other cachers and hear their stories - the game means different things to a lot of people.

Regardless of who the OP is or what he has done both "who cares" and "Just because others do doesn't mean it matters" are insulting to not just the OP, but to others that may see the FTF game as a competition. You guys are calling out the OP but some are behaving much much worse, just my 2¢.

On a side note, you'd better throw in your 2¢ worth soon as up here in Canada we won't have then around much longer.

That's my quote. It doesn't matter. Not to me at least, and since this is a public forum, I'm entitled to post my opinion. So are you. So are tons of other people. I'm sorry you don't agree with my opinion. I stand by the opinion that it doesn't matter. If we're going to talk about what's insulting, let's talk about CO's who put out garbage containers in garbage locations and then leave them there: as garbage. Or we can talk about folks who show up in the forums and ask for a discussion, then throw a fit when an opinion that's different from theirs shows up for the party. Or we can talk about the people who drive like maniacs for a FTF, putting people in danger with their horrible road antics seeming inability to pay attention to anything but the film can that's so important. Shall I continue?

The real question is: "who has the most self serving forum thread this week?" :rolleyes:

Listen buddy, don't go starting a competition in my realm of endeavor. There are more threads with Snoogans as author, in the title, or subtitle, on this website than ANY other cachin' handle.

Sure, you know me personally and know I'm not an ego maniac, but I play one on the interwebs. :anibad::laughing::anitongue:

Edited by Snoogans

The real question is: "who has the most self serving forum thread this week?" :rolleyes:

Listen buddy, don't go starting a competition in my realm of endeavor. There a more threads with Snoogans as author, in the title, or subtitle, on this website than ANY other cachin' handle.

Sure, you know me personally and know I'm not an ego maniac, but I play one on the interwebs. :anibad::laughing::anitongue:

Yes, well...I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :P

Listen buddy, don't go starting a competition in my realm of endeavor. There a more threads with Snoogans as author, in the title, or subtitle, on this website than ANY other cachin' handle.

Hey, I saw this man carrying an Ironing Board at a Groundspeak Event, where he was looking for a wayward refridgerator door.

I'd take him seriously!

Hey, I saw this man carrying an Ironing Board at a Groundspeak Event, where he was looking for a wayward refridgerator door.

I'd take him seriously!

YEP!! I saw him too! I saw the Ironing Board and the Refrigerator Door. :laughing:

I didnt get to met him but I thought he was a fun guy to have around if he had that sense of humor! :laughing:

I'd take him seriously!

YEP!! I saw him too! I saw the Ironing Board and the Refrigerator Door. :laughing:

I didnt get to met him but I thought he was a fun guy to have around if he had that sense of humor! :laughing:

Sense of humor?!? :blink:

Edited by DragonsWest

knowschad,

You know I debated for some time about posting this question, and I tried to word it such a way that I wouldn't have the Lifers that live 24/7 on the forums, that seem to live to crucify the next person that posts with any question what so ever. I even posted the name of the cacher that contacted me about the question, just so maybe, just maybe I could get some legitimate responses. But that didn't even work you and all your cronies still find a way to discredit the question. It is a legitimate question and I'm glad that I finally got a legitimate answer from "firennice", that's all I was looking for. Thanks knowschad for nothing, your help is as always just as useless as it ever is.

I have 2,000, but I never log my FTFs oline.

Now who's to say that isn't true.

See how this whole thing is moot. :rolleyes:

See my post #8.

I have 2317 FTFs.

Looser! :lol:;) (can I get a nose-flail smiley here?)

Oh wait. Sorry, I miss counted it's 3,000. It's hard to keep track since it's just me counting them.

knowschad,

You know I debated for some time about posting this question, and I tried to word it such a way that I wouldn't have the Lifers that live 24/7 on the forums, that seem to live to crucify the next person that posts with any question what so ever. I even posted the name of the cacher that contacted me about the question, just so maybe, just maybe I could get some legitimate responses. But that didn't even work you and all your cronies still find a way to discredit the question. It is a legitimate question and I'm glad that I finally got a legitimate answer from "firennice", that's all I was looking for. Thanks knowschad for nothing, your help is as always just as useless as it ever is.

I think I'm being counted in as a Cronie, and that's alright except for one problem. I don't think it's a legitimate question, as there's no legitimate way of verifying the stat with the exception of visiting every cache somebody has claimed FTF on to make sure they're being honest. I'm not being difficult in this thread for the same reason as KC, but I'm being difficult because I firmly believe that it DOESN'T matter. I also acknowlege that to many people it does. Maybe, just maybe, if you don't want contradicting ideas and opinions posted in your threads, you shouldn't post them on the public forums.

I also think that anyone who is new to either caching or to the forums should be able to see both sides of this type of debate. If they open a thread about FTF's, they should be able to see as many different ideas about the topic as is possible and make their own decision on how they want to play.

knowschad,

I think that there are very few here that would categorize me as one who would want to "crucify" people that come here to ask questions, or my posts as any more "useless" than your own.

Edited by knowschad