New "Highway of Heroes" sign catagory

I am new to Waymarking and even newer to submitting waymarks and totally new on how to add a new catagory.

I would like to add a subcatagory in the signs catagory called "Highway of Heroes".

In Canada the government has dedicated and posted a stretch of Hwy 401 between Trenton Ontario and Toronto Ontario as well as the intown routes to and from Hwy 401 in both cities.

The Highway of Heroes is the route taken by the repatriation procession when a Canadian Soldier has been returned to Canada after has paid the ultimate sacrifice in battle.

I would like to start posting these signs as a waymark but cannot find a suitable category to put it in. And the instructions in the sign catagory states any new waymarks MUST fit into an existing category.

any help would be appreciated

kenlaur

The "Signs Category" is not an actual category it is a department and you can not post waymarks directly to a department.

Post an example of what these signs look like so that maybe we can point you to a category. You will have great difficulty creating and getting approval for a category for a set of signs that are for a specific highway or area.

They are large (see pic) or small shield type signs that are specific to the route (approx 250km - 150m).

There are quite a few of these signs, 3 larger ones being right in Trenton (beginning of the HOH).

I don't know how to insert a picture here on the forums so if you can tell me how I will do it.

I found a link to a website that has an example of each type of sign.

http://www.thankasoldier.net/highway.html

I believe there is something similar in the USA - Blue star memorial highway. The difference is these seem to be plaques at rest stops etc., and HOH are road signs simply places along a roadway similar to population signs or distance signs.

If a new category is not possible then any suggestion as to where I should put them would be appreciated. I could only find 2 - Non specific veteran memorials - but I do not think it really fits

or

Afghanistan/Iraq War Memorials - but again I don't think it really fits.

Regards,

And the instructions in the sign catagory states any new waymarks MUST fit into an existing category.

Which category states this? Can you be more specific than "Sign category"?

I tried to find where I read it but I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

And the instructions in the sign catagory states any new waymarks MUST fit into an existing category.

Which category states this? Can you be more specific than "Sign category"?

I tried to find where I read it but I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

Maybe it was when you were trying to post it as a new waymark... You probably selected Signs and then it asked for a sub-category. Just a thought.

Try the "Non-Specific Veteran Memorials" category. Contact one of the group's officers and see if they will accept one of these waymarks. FWIW, I know exactly what you are referring to as I live near the 401 and have passed these signs many times. If that doesn't work, then perhaps a new Memorial Highway category (the Don Valley Parkway is called the "Route of Heroes") might be appropriate rather than starting one that is restricted by geography. My one big concern is stopping one's vehicle and being able to safely get an image and co-ordinates of these signs with high speed traffic zipping by.

Let me know if you meet with any success.

Not everything that is cool is necessarily a good Waymarking category, and this may be one of those. I do think stopping to take photos and coordinate readings is a huge problem. And, they probably all look about the same. There are many, many signs in the U.S. for dedications of various sorts, some to veterans, some to specific individuals. We do have a category for the Blue Star Memorial Highway, but those markers are usually at waysides and rest areas. I think the Specific Veterans Memorial also accepts some highways.

Wasn't really going for a cool waymark. Was actually trying to pay tribute to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Maybe a new category covering highways like this would be good and thats all I am asking for.

How do I go about submitting that? Can someone send me a link. Ive looked but havent found the page I need.

Hi kenlaur,

fi67 wrote:

"Back to your general question: The steps are described in the FAQs. You have to create a Group. Then you need some officers, a group with three officers can start a category. When the work is done, the category goes to the primary vote (you and your officers), 100% Yea is needed. Finally you can send the category to Peer Review, here you need 66% Yea and this is gonna be tough.

Some things the FAQs do not mention are important. Get a good crew, some helpful but unexperienced geocaching friends will not be appreciated in peer review. You need active, experienced waymarkers with a certain reputation.

Go the forum with your idea, you've done that; this was a good idea. I don't remember exactly but it's been a looong time since the last new category made it without going to the forum.

Don't refer to other categories. Your idea has to stay on its own. Many existing category would not make it anymore if it was new today. You have to work hard at your proposal and a concise wording. Some of the newer categories read like legal texts, the easy days of category creation are definitively over.

I don't want to frighten you away from creating a category, there are still many viable ideas around, but it is not that easy. There is no guarantee for success."

Regards,

lumbricus